Author Topic: MPI isn't all that bad...  (Read 4184 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MPI isn't all that bad...
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:36:44 AM »
There's been a lot of MPI bashing here lately, and I want to say that I think they're doing us a great service and they deserve to make a little money for their efforts. The DS Collections (and most of their releases for that matter) serve a niche market, and I just find it hard to believe that their profit margins are all that obscene.

I got to thinking about this after trying to figure out how much it was going to cost me to collect all of the otiginal DOCTOR WHO on DVD, and comparing the cost to collecting DS.

Here's a bit of my post on the WHO forum that got me thinking about this:

"Assuming that all episodes will eventually be released, 700 Who episodes (including reconstructions, animations, etcetera) for $2500 comes to about $3.57 per episode.    1225 Dark Shadows episodes (all of which are extant, save for one reconstruction which includes the audio in its entirety) for $1600 comes to about $0.76 per episode - clearly the better bargain."

-

OK, so the DOCTOR WHO episodes undergo extensive restoration - http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/ - and are stacked with extra features. On the other hand, DS looks fantastic on DVD, and I don't really care that much about extra features (1225 eps of DS and 700 eps of WHO are more than enough entertainment for my schedule.)

MPI's MSRP is around $60 per Collection? I've never paid that much for a set, they're easy enough to find for $40-$50. I think the DS DVD Collections are a tremendous bargain...
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: MPI isn't all that bad...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:21:06 AM »
Word!   ;D  I agree.  It's awesome that MPI has been releasing the complete series of DS videos and DVDs for so long.  I think the complaints were mostly about merchandise and possible non-Collector's Club availabilty of the pre-Barnabas episodes (which I doubt would be a long-term thing anyway).  Wish I had the cash to collect the DVDs.  I have all the videos but only a couple of the DVD sets.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »
My only gripe w/MPI is them forcing ppl to join their club to get the pre-Barnbas eps.  I was their biggest supporter and cheerleader until then.  Having said the above, I am appreciative that they have released this very unique series to both VHS and DVD.  How many other soaps are, or will be realeased to DVD.  Probably none.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 04:28:04 PM »
My only gripe w/MPI is them forcing ppl to join their club to get the pre-Barnbas eps. I was their biggest supporter and cheerleader until then. Having said the above, I am appreciative that they have released this very unique series to both VHS and DVD. How many other soaps are, or will be realeased to DVD. Probably none.

Without MPI, I would never have had the opportunity to watch the entire DS series. 8)

However, I wasn't aware that you had to join the club to be able to get the pre-barnabas episodes. Isn't that also the case if you want the DS bobblehead dolls?

Even so, good job to MPI!!! :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
However, I wasn't aware that you had to join the club to be able to get the pre-barnabas episodes. Isn't that also the case if you want the DS bobblehead dolls?

You can buy them, I *believe*, w/out being a member.  But if you join the club I think you get Barnabas for free.  Club members, is that correct?
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 05:32:41 PM »
Okay well, call me a cynic but, ... I send my order in to whichever organization can give me the best deal.  I appreciate MPI in the same way I do Honda - they have a product I desire and they are producing it in a format I like.  I'm simply not going to pay sticker price for it, if I can help it.  I show my appreciation to them by continuing to buy.  The way I see it all's fair because for both MPI and myself - it comes down to a cash thing.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:39:22 PM »
Okay well, call me a cynic but, ... I send my order in to whichever organization can give me the best deal.  I appreciate MPI in the same way I do Honda - they have a product I desire and they are producing it in a format I like.  I'm simply not going to pay sticker price for it, if I can help it.  I show my appreciation to them by continuing to buy.  The way I see it all's fair because for both MPI and myself - it comes down to a cash thing.

I agree 100% CastleBee, that's a good way of putting it.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »
You can buy them, I *believe*, w/out being a member.

Yep, you can still buy the bobbleheads without being in the club. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 06:03:40 PM »

Couldn't have said it any better!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 06:24:23 PM »
I thought you had to join MPI's club to get the Barnabas bobblehead.  But I've seen others for sale on their website.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 06:37:07 PM »
Overall, my experience with MPI has been very positive. As we agree, they are a niche video company and have been very good to Dark Shadows and other Dan Curtis productions over the years. We do have to allow they are a smaller company, so you're not going to get the $14.99 double features you might get at a major studio DVD line. I likewise appreciate the efforts they have done in quality mastering the lines, with of course the noted accidental edits on one of the early DVD sets. I also have had very good relations with their telephone and mail order areas. I would note they have had good deals on the VHS at the shows over the years, but I am not aware they ever did any discounting in the DVDs at the shows, at least never when I've asked...
 Â       I do wish to clarify that not all of the Bobble heads are available to non-club members. While anyone may order the Barnabas, Josette or Werewolf figures have been offered to all, the bobble heads for Quentin and Angelique are (or were, they may be gone) only available to "club" members.

Michael  [vampy]
 Â       
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 08:21:51 PM »
I thought you had to join MPI's club to get the Barnabas bobblehead.  But I've seen others for sale on their website.

I think they sell them at Fests too, at least I've seen them all on the MPI table inside the case.  But never bothered to see what the deal was as I wasn't interested in them anyway.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
Boy, I sure wish I had those bobbleheads. but it's difficult to find them, especially as a set in the case. :(

Maybe some day. ;D

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 11:13:02 PM »

When I got it awhile ago I just called and asked if I could order the Barnabas Bobblehead.  They said "sure" and I got one.  They didn't mention the collector's club at all (I'm not in it).

EDIT: Just read CyrusL's post.  So some are and some aren't available to non-club members.  I'd collect them if I had the cash, but they're expensive.

Also, why don't they sell these in regular "hipster" stores like Newbury Comix (a New England chain) and Hot Topic?  They have all kinds of characters in bobblehead form, many of which are way obscure.  I think some of the DS ones (particularly Barnabas) would do well in a regular retail outlet.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 11:17:15 PM »
When I got it awhile ago I just called and asked if I could order the Barnabas Bobblehead.  They said "sure" and I got one.  They didn't mention the collector's club at all (I'm not in it).

Great!  That's good to know.  And thanks, CyrusL.