Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #154  (Read 6639 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Shadowgram Update #154
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:47:16 PM »
Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

--- SPECIAL SHADOWGRAM BONUS ANNOUNCEMENT - AUGUST 4, 2006

A breaking-news postal-mail announcement is being sent now to all current SG subscribers, plus to new and renewing subscribers.

This 8½" x 14" release is illustrated on both sides. The Announcement cites upcoming nationwide book-signing appearances and radio interviews for Lara Parker for her new DS novel. It has a photo of her at the July 29 signing in Burbank, CA. The Announcement also pictures the original oil-on-canvas portrait of Barnabas from the 1970 MGM movie "House of Dark Shadows." This painting will be auctioned at the DS Festival's 40th Anniversary Celebration in Brooklyn on Aug. 27. The Announcement includes other time-sensitive news and details as well.

This SG News Updates List and future SG print issues will share future confirmed news, appearances, photos, and publicity. Subscription information for the published SG newsletters is at the end of this Update post. The complete Bonus Announcement and the current companion postal-mail print issues SG #107 and #108 will be sent to you to begin your subscription as soon as your order payment arrives.

--- SG BONUS ANNOUNCEMENT HIGHLIGHTS
(The postal-mail edition has complete details.)

---  NEW DS NOVEL BY LARA PARKER (Angelique, Cassandra, Alexis, Valerie, Miranda, Catherine)

Her new novel "Dark Shadows: The Salem Branch" was published by Tor Books in July. The sequel to her out-of-print 1998 novel "Dark Shadows: Angelique's Descent" features 2 complex plotlines - one set in 1971 Collinsport, the other in Salem, Massachusetts, in the 1690s. It is available through most bookstores now and from amazon.com

Following are Lara's scheduled book-signing appearances. More are being considered. Copies of the new book will be available for pre-order and on-site purchase. Retail price for the 288-page trade paperback is $12.95. Please contact each location for more information.

*** Salem, OR - Wed., Aug. 9 -- 5:30-7pm. Jackson's Books, 320 Liberty St. SE. 503-399-8694.
*** Portland, OR - Thurs., Aug. 10 -7pm. Twenty-Third Avenue Books, 1015 NW 23rd Ave. 503-224-5097. www.23rdavebooks.com
*** Memphis, TN - Thurs., Aug. 17 - 7pm. Davis-Kidd Bookstore, 387 Perkins Road Extended. 901-683 9801.
*** Dayton, OH - Wed., Aug. 23 - 7pm. Books & Co. 350 E. Stroop Rd. 937-297-6365.
*** Whippany, NJ - Thurs., Aug. 24 -- 7:30pm. OLM Hall, 90 Whippany Rd. 973-887-0050.
*** Brooklyn, NY - Fri., Aug. 25 to Sun., Aug. 27 -- Dark Shadows Festival - Marriott Hotel at the Brooklyn Bridge, 333 Adams St. 718-246-7000.
*** Philadelphia (Exton), PA - Tues., Aug. 29 -- Borders Express, Exton. 610-363-5036.
*** Brentwood, CA - Wed., Sept. 13 - 7pm. Dutton's Brentwood, 11975 San Vincente Blvd. 310-476-6263.
*** San Francisco, CA - Fri., Sept. 15 - 7pm. The Book Smith, 1644 Haight-Ashbury St. 415-863-8688.
*** Hollywood, CA - Sun., Sept. 17 -- 10am-6pm. Hollywood Book Fair in West Hollywood Park, 647 San Vicente Blvd.

Lara participates in a radio tour, "a list of radio programs where I will be interviewed live." The following list is subject to change. Tune in to these programs:

*** Airing Thurs., Aug. 10 - Boston: WBNW-AM - Frankie Boyer Show / Cleveland: WEOL-AM - WEOL Morning Show and WTAM-AM - Wills & Coleman / Monmouth: WIBG-AM - Hurley in the Morning / Akron: WAKR-FM - Ray Horner Show / Appleton-Oshkosh: KFIZ-AM - Back Stage Live.

*** Airing Fri., Aug. 11 - National: Cable Radio Network - Syndicated CRN Digital Talk / Suburban Chicago: WKAN-AM - Morning Show with Mike Tomano / St. Louis: WGNU-AM - Authors on the Air / Cincinnati: WLW-AM - Morning Show with Jim Scott / Columbus: WBEX-FM - Dan & Mike in the Morning / Grand Rapids: WGVU-FM - WGVU Morning Show / Colorado Springs: KCMN-AM - Mornings with Tron.

An internet interview will be heard on David English's BookTalk show on leisuretalk.net Aug. 14-20.

Lara tells SG more signings, media interviews, and other publicity are being planned. This SG Online DS News Updates List will announce confirmed news. SG #109 and future print issues will report details and pictures.

--- DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION UPDATE

SG here updates the latest news for the Official DS 40th Anniversary Celebration at the Marriott Hotel at the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn, Aug. 25-27. The hotel is located at 333 Adams St., Brooklyn, NY 11201. 718-246-7000.

The Fest benefits Dr. Jeffrey Cummings' Alzheimer Research Center at UCLA in honor of the late DAN & NORMA CURTIS. Guests will be available for free autographs and photos for signing will be for sale at a nominal fee. Your admission entitles you to a free souvenir program book with actor photos and biographies.

See SG #107 and SG #108 print issues and recent SG Online Updates for more details about guests and programming. Fest website: www.darkshadowsfestival.com

*** New guest: GEORGE DiCENZO (Associate Producer) joins over a dozen previously-announced cast and production crew guests. All guests are subject to professional and personal commitments.

*** Original Barnabas Portrait to be Auctioned: The actual 1970 oil-on-canvas painting of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins featured in the 1970 MGM film House of Dark Shadows will be offered for auction on Sun., Aug. 27 at 1:30pm in the hotel Ballroom. This unique collectible measures 22½" x 32" and is mounted on its original backing board. This is the genuine painting, so don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime chance to own an authentic DS portrait! Other rare and collectible memorabilia will be auctioned on Sat. and Sun. as well.

*** SG Premiere Announcement:  If you cannot attend but want to bid on the portrait, please e-mail your opening bid, maximum bid, full name, complete postal-address, and phone number (with area code) to  ShadowGram@aol.com  no later than 12:00 noon Eastern Time on Sun., Aug. 27. You will be notified during the auction via telephone if your bid is in contention to win the painting. The auctions are done live in the hotel Ballroom. Credit cards are not accepted. Payment must be made with cash, check, money order, or cashier's check. Your check will need to clear before the painting is shipped to the winner via Federal Express, which is at an additional cost.

*** Guests Re-create Original Episodes on Sunday (Not on Saturday)
On Sun. afternoon - not Sat. as originally announced - you'll witness the DS actors portraying roles originated by other co-stars when they re-create for the first time on stage the very first (June 27, 1966) and the very last (April 2, 1971) DS episodes! See David Selby play Roger Collins, Jerry Lacy as Burke Devlin, Lara Parker as Victoria Winters, Marie Wallace as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, and other surprise castings! This will take place with a replica of the Collinwood drawing room as a backdrop set.

*** Videotaping:  Please note that attendees will only be allowed to videotape the Collinsport Players Fan Skit and the Costume Gala, both held on Saturday night. None of the celebrity guest events or video presentations may be videotaped.

--- DEBUTING AT THE FEST:

*** Dark Shadows Bloopers & Treasures DVD, new from MPI, debuts at the Fest but will not be sold in stores until Nov. 21. This 2½-hour single-disc collection ($19.98) features bloopers, outtakes, music videos, promos, vintage game show appearances by the DS actors, and a new featurette with Lara entitled "Dark Shadows In Salem."

*** A special Fest edition of "Murder in PrimeTime," a new novel by Kathryn Leigh Scott, will be available. An actress playing a popular TV detective finds herself caught up in a dangerous real mystery, forcing her to use what she does as a fictional character to try and save her own life. Kathryn offers "autographed advance copies" with a B&W photo for $20 (incl. postage). Make orders payable to Pomegranate Press and send to Kathryn Leigh Scott, P.O. Box 17217, Beverly Hills, CA 90209.

*** The Fest is sold out of the autographed Dan Curtis' career biography book and the DS coin purse.

--- MPI plans "Dark Shadows - The Beginning" DVD Collections 1-6 with the 206 early, pre-Barnabas episodes. Due out in 2007, these initially will be available directly from MPI at www.mpihomevideo.com or 800-323-0442 (weekdays), and not from stores or online merchants.

--- FAN SHARING: All fans attending Lara's book signings and the Fest are invited and encouraged to please send their reports and photos, plus local media publicity, interviews, and articles, to ShadowGram at SG's postal- or e- mail addresses below. These will be shared with SG readers - including the DS cast and crew and fans worldwide - in print issue SG #109.  A complimentary Contributor's Copy SG print issue is given in thanks for major contributions.

--- PLEASE NOTE: The special ShadowGram Bonus Announcement is sent to all current SG postal-mail subscribers to inform them of this time-sensitive news. It comes at no cost to them and is not counted on anyone's subscription. I pay for all its expenses by myself. The X-#___ on your address label indicates the status of your regular print issues. The SG Online DS News Updates List will update this news and print issue SG #109 will have the latest complete developments, photos, reports, and additional information.

Thank you.

Marcy Robin

ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766
E-mail: ShadowGram@aol.com

SHADOWGRAM (SG) is the * Official * "Dark Shadows" Newsletter. Much of its news is provided by the show's personnel and those involved in the 1966-71 TV series, 1991 TV series, and 2004 WB pilot. Established in 1979, SG works directly with individuals, companies, and others involved in DS' creation, distribution, promotion, merchandise, etc.

Regular SG print issues are published throughout the year, with free bonus complimentary breaking-news published updates as needed.

Brief Update bulletins are posted on this ShadowGram Online "Dark Shadows" News Updates List / Marcy Robin's ShadowGram "Dark Shadows" Cyberspace News Updates List. These posts are sent via e-mail between regularly-published issues to quickly notify fans of time-sensitive developments. Each e-mail Update is expanded and detailed in the subscription postal-mail print issues. You also can receive this identical SG Online Update by joining the ShadowGram Group at yahoogroups

SG postal-mail print issues are immediately available:
--- US & Canadian First Class subscriptions: $12.00 for 4 issues, $24.00 for 8 issues.
---Overseas Air Mail subscriptions: US $20.00 for 4 issues, US $40.00 for 8 issues.

Please send print issue subscription payment to:

Marcy Robin, P.O. Box 1766, Temple City, CA 91780-7766.

Online subscription payment can be made via Paypal to: ShadowGram@aol.com

For more information on the newsletter, please write with a SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to the above postal-address or e-mail ShadowGram@aol.com

Whenever your e-mail address changes, please notify me immediately. Please include your old and new e-mail addresses. If you do not wish to remain on the Online "ShadowGram / Marcy Robin's Cyberspace Dark Shadows News Update List," please notify me directly via return e-mail. Thank you.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #154
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:45:51 PM »
*** Videotaping:  Please note that attendees will only be allowed to videotape the Collinsport Players Fan Skit and the Costume Gala, both held on Saturday night. None of the celebrity guest events or video presentations may be videotaped.

Weird.  I wonder why?
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 12:20:46 AM »
Weird.  I wonder why?

Yeah Jen, I think that's ridiculous too.   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 02:45:38 AM »
interesting that shadowgram made no mention of the nice dinner the local southern california fan club had last week with lara parker. marcy and jim both attended. has anyone submitted photos from the dinner to her? at this dinner i sat next to jim and asked him about the videotape restrictions. i heard rumors about this long before this shadowgram update came out. hes saying the stars object! this i have a hard time believing! i think he is going to have mpi release a video of the event so he wants to eliminate the competition. ive been taping/selling the festivals since 1983. jim never had a problem with this before as long as no episodes were being sold or performances by the stars. today i got a mailing from the festival. it makes no mention of videotape restrictions. so is he planning a special mailing to announce this. what about the people who dont subscribe to shadowgram? i and others would be ticked if they bring their camcorders all the way from wherever only to find out they can only tape the skits and costume contest.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 03:22:12 AM »
My dad also taped the festivals for about 15 years.  He was allowed to tape things such as Nancy Barrett's carbaret if he gave her a copy and didn't sell it.  I can only assume that MPI will have something to do with this. 
interesting that shadowgram made no mention of the nice dinner the local southern california fan club had last week with lara parker. marcy and jim both attended. has anyone submitted photos from the dinner to her? at this dinner i sat next to jim and asked him about the videotape restrictions. i heard rumors about this long before this shadowgram update came out. hes saying the stars object! this i have a hard time believing! i think he is going to have mpi release a video of the event so he wants to eliminate the competition. ive been taping/selling the festivals since 1983. jim never had a problem with this before as long as no episodes were being sold or performances by the stars. today i got a mailing from the festival. it makes no mention of videotape restrictions. so is he planning a special mailing to announce this. what about the people who dont subscribe to shadowgram? i and others would be ticked if they bring their camcorders all the way from wherever only to find out they can only tape the skits and costume contest.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 03:33:01 AM »
Oooh boy- I can only guess how much footage they'll leave out and how much they'll overcharge for the DVD.......

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 05:02:11 AM »

I agree Joe.  I don't believe for ONE MINUTE that the stars object.  (unless Johnny Karlen got wind that his pratfall off the stage in Tarrytown is out there.   >:D)  But seriously, I can understand if, for example, Nancy Barret is concerned about her cabaret act getting sold and she were to get sued for singing songs she doesn't own the rights too etc...or if MPI/DCP doesn't want the recreations of the first and last episodes being sold because they own the rights to the show itself.  Hell, I can even buy if Jamison Selby didn't want Return To Collinwood sold (although WHY anyone would want that pile of dog doo I don't know).  But to say fans can't film the Q&A's, Cast Reunion, Charity Auction--basically none of the stuff that's "copywrited" is beyond BS.  They should let ppl film that stuff, then have ppl take their camera's out of the main room for Nancy's cabaret and any of the dramatic readings like they used to do for Jonathan's Reader's Theater.  It's NEVER been an issue until this year about filming the panels etc... 

I think you are on to something about MPI wanting to, ONCE AGAIN, exploit the fans for money (big surprise there right?   >:(  They are just greedy bastards.   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 05:38:37 AM »
That seems wrong, and a violation of longtime DSF traditions.   One can see, for copyright reasons, why they wouldn't permit people to tape the professional scripted plays, or tape a video that's being shown....  And so what if one of the actors says or does something spontaneously, that may not be professional shall we say--- well, stuff happens.  It really doesn't get beyond the fandom and I doubt that even if something slightly embarrassing is sold on tape, that it affects even a fan's long-term opinion of the actor or actress.  Doing SERIOUSLY embarrassing or even criminal things does precious little to harm much bigger celebrities than the former DS performers currently are.

And does this extend, to, say, the banquet?  I have scads of vids of an actor holding forth at our table, as well as stuff from the Q&As.  I also own numerous compilation videos from several fine sources, which include some "unscripted" moments, shall we also say.  I would only surrender all such historical records--- because that's what I consider this material--- over my dead body.

So  it sounds to me, too, like an effort to make an "official annual" DVD, all controlled and edited and totally unspontaneous, and moreover, not necessarily containing the moments I or any other individual might most wish to recall.  Which, no matter how one views censorship of embarrassing moments and pratfalls, seems to me, a violation of First Amendment rights.  BTW, I also do not consider absolutely everything the actors do in Q&As as part of a "performance", per se, or is this some kind of a new union rule?  Is this now the way EVERY fan convention is run?
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 06:42:01 AM »
Does the no videotaping ban also apply to semi-official videographers like Guy Haines and Richard Blanco?

ProfStokes

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 07:22:28 AM »
i always understood guy haines being an "official" videographer not semi. not sure about richard. in the past mpi had their own crew taping for the mpi 25th and 30th anniversary tapes they released. one bright spot in this is not having to worry about hauling a video camera 3000 miles to tape the events.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 09:53:21 AM »
I took it upon my frail, frail shoulders to e-mail Jim Pierson about this--- my e-mail, I must say without excess boasting ;D, was a masterpiece of marshalling every argument, and I assure you, properly edited to tone down traces of hysteria.
What is even more amazing, he actually ANSWERED it within about an hour!
 Alas for anyone still hoping, taping's still a no-go. I guess I'd better ask him if I can quote it here and judge for yourselves.
Well, at least I tried--- "The Deef's" there for you guys!
I will always treasure the recordings I DO have.
"Oh no, they can't take that away frrom me...."
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »
Does the no videotaping ban also apply to semi-official videographers like Guy Haines and Richard Blanco?

Guy no, Rich yes.

I took it upon my frail, frail shoulders to e-mail Jim Pierson about this.  What is even more amazing, he actually ANSWERED it within about an hour!  Alas for anyone still hoping, taping's still a no-go.

Did he give a reason?
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
did jim give the same reason as i got. did he elaborate? did u tell him no one believes that the stars object?

David

RE: the stars object
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 10:32:48 PM »
The DS actors are easy enough to talk to at the Fest.
Just ask them if they object.
If enough say no, call Pierson on his BS.

David

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 10:47:15 PM »
Dave Brown was the only official videographer the festival has ever had.  I didn't hear anyone else being asked to take it on as it would require sitting and taping all the programming (panels, etc.) and not just what interested the videographer.  Dave made his living as a videographer and so was professional enough to entrust with that role.  I don't think anyone has the equipment available to them Dave did though I could be wrong.

If MPI is indeed videotaping the events for bonus material, it will be a better quality for everyone to have.  That would be a good thing, woudln't it?

Nancy