Author Topic: Kinescopes  (Read 1682 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Kinescopes
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:22:35 AM »
What do you think when you cue up your next episode of DS and realize it's a B&W kinescope?

Are you disappointed? Or do you, like me, think to yourself "oh...cool, a kinescope."
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Kinescopes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:54:40 AM »
I kind of like the kinescopes.  They give episodes that grainy, old horror movie feel.

- Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:38:44 PM »
Usually I say, "Oh yeah, another epsode that would be lost if not for the kinescope."
     I have begun to think of the black and white years in my own vernacular as "the Universal period" and the color years as "the Hammer era." I'm sure Penny knows what I mean. The black and white kinescopes do have an unearthly quality that almost remonds one of those "EVP" ghost contact films.  My wife actually prefers the B&W period. Without sounding like an elitist, I wish they would give an FAQ at the DS festivals as it seems every year at least two people ask why some of the episodes go back to b&w etc, and it takes quite a bit of time to explain. My polite gripe if you will is that this was well explained in KLS's books and elsewhere and takes time away better used at the fests. Ok, that's my Dennis Miller mini-rant for today, lol  ;D

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »
I've always wondered about the possibility of having the post-August '67 kinescopes colorized.  We know what the sets, costumes and characters look like in color, and since they were originally presented that way, putting the color back would be a way of restoring these episodes to the max.  It HAS been done with some Doctor Who installments from the 1970s in which the original tapes were damaged.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »
Usually I say, "Oh yeah, another epsode that would be lost if not for the kinescope."

I'm w/you, at least we have the episode!  I'd take a kinoscope of episode #1219 (the 'lost' episode) over an audio track and TV screen grabs anyday!  Although I prefer the color eps, because of the wonderful costumes, particularly when they go back in time, and the gorgeous sets of Sy Tomasoff, I *do* have a certain affinity for the early B&W eps.  For example, I can't imagine a better format for the early Barnabas eps when [spoiler]he's kidnapped and is terrorizing Maggie.  The B&W make those eps all the more eery.  And I *love* that the ep where he's chasing her through the underground tunnels of the Old House is a kinoscope because that just totally sets the mood of horror for me.[/spoiler]

I've always wondered about the possibility of having the post-August '67 kinescopes colorized. 

Oh no, no, no!  God, don't colorize, I hate colorizing!  I'm a big believer in leaving things as they were originally meant to be.  I hate that Ted Turner colorized so many old movies.  I nearly blanched when I heard To Kill A Mockingbird had been colorized and made sure when I bought my copy it was the original B&W. 
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 06:17:33 AM »
One of my favorite episodes is a kinescope - episode #683 - featuring Julia's hypnosis of Chris Jennings, Barnabas & Julia's ominous suspicions about David & Amy, a visit from a ghost, and a touch of grave-digging at the finale... not to mention a nice voice-over from Don Briscoe at the beginning.  It almost has a more gothick feel to it in black & white - and it's a bit of a jolt when the next installment goes back to color.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 06:50:23 AM »
BuzzH, maybe you didn't read my post properly!!!  I was talking about kinescopes made after DS went to color in August of 1967- I'm advocating replacing the color in the kinies for episodes that were originally shown in color and the master tape was lost.  Can't make it any plainer......

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »
BuzzH, maybe you didn't read my post properly!!!  I was talking about kinescopes made after DS went to color in August of 1967- I'm advocating replacing the color in the kinies for episodes that were originally shown in color and the master tape was lost.  Can't make it any plainer......

Um, why so venomous?  No need to get nasty Charles, we're all friends here.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 06:34:29 PM »
I wasn't being venomous- believe me, my bark is worse is much worse than my bite....

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »
I wasn't being venomous- believe me, my bark is worse is much worse than my bite....

O...kay then.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 07:31:51 AM »
The kinescopes definitely have an ethereal, "not-film-not-video" look, but as a fan of both the original B&W eps and the acid-trip color palettes of the later ones, the kinescopes are a distant third. Why, you ask?

- the actual B&W eps were using different lenses on different cameras. They had a sharpness that the color eps don't, and the kinescoped color eps are kind of mush in comparison;

- I have to admit that the kinescope eps, because of their low contrast and frequently muffled audio tracks, put me right the hell to sleep. It's like the opposite of audiovisual stimuli.

I'm grateful they exist, glad we have the whole show (aside form that one "lost" one), but I don't get excited about the idea of back to back kinescope eps (which is what did me in tonight, eps 351 & 352.)
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS