Poll

Curious about the religous make-up of DS fanhood -

Christian (Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Protestant, etc.)
26 (83.9%)
Muslim (Shiite, Sunni, etc.)
0 (0%)
Jewish (Conservative, Reform, Orthodox, etc.)
0 (0%)
Hindu
0 (0%)
Buddhist
1 (3.2%)
Wiccan
4 (12.9%)
Jainist
0 (0%)
Shinto
0 (0%)
Sikh
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: DS Religions  (Read 7242 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Religions
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 07:39:47 PM »
Maybe something along the lines of the 700 Club!?  ;)
Hee hee...yes, or instead of TBN meaning Trinity Broadcasting Network it could be Trask Broadcasting Network. I could just see our 5th generation+ Reverand Trask in a white polyester suit (ala Paul Crouch who he has more than a few points in common with IMO) on that garish set blasting everyone who disagrees with him to kingdom come.  He could even have the obligatory big hair weeping wife at his side.  It would all work - though, it would be hard to keep it from lapsing into a complete parody.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 07:47:46 PM »
 Â    I live in Maine and some of the oldest churches are Congregational Churches.  New England is famous for the tall steeples with the cross on top.  victoriawinters  explained it perfectly.  I got out my Portland phonebook and there are 22 Congregational Churches and 7 Episcopal Churches in the Portland area.  My own town has 3 Congregational Churches(they also go by UCC(United Church of Christ) all built over 100 years ago.  The Episcopal Church is newer.  It looks about 20 years old, very modern architecture.
 Â    I have attended a few services at one of the Congregational Churches.  The service was identical to the Presbyterian service.
 Â    I always thought the Collins family were of Puritan stock which would make the Congregationist.  I thought Trask was part of an unaffiliated church sort of like a christian cult with a charismatic leader. The reverend Jim Jones comes to mind.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 07:55:31 PM »
He could even have the obligatory big hair weeping wife at his side. 

LOL!  Could you just see Minerva Trask w/big hair and too much eye make-up ala Tammy Faye Baker, LOL!

I thought Trask was part of an unaffiliated church sort of like a christian cult with a charismatic leader. The reverend Jim Jones comes to mind.

I think this is correct.  I think that Barnabas even asks him what church he's affiliated with and he gives some BS answer about being of the church of the Lord or some nonsense.  To which Barnabas smirks and says something like, "Oh, so you're a self proclaimed minister, not an ordained one" or something like that.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 08:31:47 PM »
I think this is correct.  I think that Barnabas even asks him what church he's affiliated with and he gives some BS answer about being of the church of the Lord or some nonsense.  To which Barnabas smirks and says something like, "Oh, so you're a self proclaimed minister, not an ordained one" or something like that.  ;)
I agree - Brother Trask's Travelin' Salvation Show for sure!

I can just hear Frid delivering that line complete with the smirk.  Too funny.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 09:40:05 PM »
I agree - Brother Trask's Travelin' Salvation Show for sure!

LOVE that song, probably Neil Diamonds best!  One of them anyway.  ;)

I can just hear Frid delivering that line complete with the smirk.  Too funny.

That smirk was killer wasn't it.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 01:08:23 AM »
That smirk was killer wasn't it.  ;)
Oh yeah - nobody could do it better! And no other character(s) on the show deserved it more than Trask.

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 02:42:27 AM »
Unitarian Universalist here. :)

Wiley S.

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 07:11:43 AM »
Semi-non-practicing Episcopalian here...have flirted with Wicca and Buddhism and would have to say my personal beliefs are more like spiritual agnosticism.  Anyway, enough about me.

Agreed that the Collins family would likely have only attended church because it was the thing to do - social standing and all.  And yeah, based on what I saw of the ministers who came to the house and the simplicity of the rites as shown, the Collinses weren't Episcopalians - not "high church" anyway.  From what I know of Congregationalists, that sounds more like a fit.

Gothick - I hope you have a loverly vacation!

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 07:54:28 AM »
I got out my Portland phonebook and there are 22 Congregational Churches and 7 Episcopal Churches in the Portland area.

Well, thanks for looking at that.  It cinches it then.

Remember too everyone that it would have been so strange for the Collins to [spoiler]adhere to the Church of England (i.e., King George III as head of the church) and stock pile guns in the mauseleum to fight the Revolutionary War.  Yes the American branch later became independent but Amadeus was already here in 1692.  Smells and bells (high Episcopal) doen't fit them at all otherwise they may have then at the very least censored the house from the stench of the various zombies that came to call.[/spoiler]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 04:44:22 PM »
Oh, I guess I didn't mention (beyond taking the poll) - I'm a kind of Protestant Catholic hybrid.  I tend to argue with myself a lot.

Offline JoeNathan

• A sedative? Why, yes, I'd LOVE a sedative!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2006, 05:17:43 AM »
I agree with everything philosopher Alan Watts ever wrote, so I guess that makes me some sort of agnostic Buddhist.

The interesting thing about religion and DS was the great amount of opposition by conservative religious groups to DS back when it was first broadcast.  They thought it promoted Satanism.

As for those who wish to discuss religion, atheism, agnosticism, etc. - there are two forums dedicated to that sort of thing - christianforums.com and IIDB.com (internet infidels debate forum).

As to the religion of DS characters - I would think that in a world of real vampire and werewolf "curses", witches and warlocks who can work real magic, ghosts, hands with magic powers, phoenixes, leviathan monsters, etc. - well, a person would be a fool not to be a literalist christian - just to play the odds.  ;D
Dark Shadows Rocks!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2006, 01:50:14 PM »
The interesting thing about religion and DS was the great amount of opposition by conservative religious groups to DS back when it was first broadcast.  They thought it promoted Satanism.

Yep, this is true.  I think one group even quipped that the show was "Satan's favorite TV show" or something like that.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 10:49:25 PM »
My sincerest apology if yours isn't listed, I did the best I could in my limited knowledge. Please list your own if it isn't represented -
No worries.  I chose Wiccan, though I am closer to being generally neo-pagan... ;D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 07:46:40 PM »
I also figured the Collinses to be Congregationalists based upon the history of that particular part of New England.  Julia Hoffman was Jewish; Professor T. Eliot Stokes was either an Episcopalian or a Presbyterian because of his rather regal mannerism (you know what Reverend Lovejoy always says about those "snooty Episcopalians" on The Simpsons); the DuPres' were, of course, Catholic.  As an aside, and we even discussed it a bit quite a few years ago here, I surmised that, in PT1841, the reason why Josette DuPres Collins, the wife of the late Barnabas Collins, was never fully accepted by the family was because she was a Catholic, and 18th/19th century American Protestants had certain views about "one of them" marrying into their families.

As for me, I believe in being a decent human being.  I'm just not practicing right now.

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »
the reason why Josette DuPres Collins, the wife of the late Barnabas Collins, was never fully accepted by the family was because she was a Catholic, and 18th/19th century American Protestants had certain views about "one of them" marrying into their families.
Now, see I wouldn't have blamed a lack of acceptance on religion so much as the long running animosity between the French and English.  Of course, I wouldn't find it hard to believe that having the right amount of cash and social standing would cover a multitude of religious differences in the minds of both the Collins and DuPres families.

As for me, I believe in being a decent human being.  I'm just not practicing right now.

Gerard
LOL!