Author Topic: Paging Luciaphil!  (Read 823 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Paging Luciaphil!
« on: April 25, 2002, 10:04:32 PM »
Are we going to get one of your witty, thoughtful commentaries to today's episodes?  I really want to get out the tape and have a look at these.  Thought Joan looked at her loveliest.

It is interesting to see the comments in the "Naomi notions" post about Naomi's suicide.  Although for obvious reasons I can't really put myself in her shoes (my feet are too darned big for starters, lol), I do find dramatically plausible her traumatic reaction to discovering what had happened to Barnabas, resulting in her act of suicide.  I haven't seen these shows in many years so perhaps the way the story was written, or the way Joan played the scene, makes the depth of Naomi's shock implausible ... but I don't think the concept is at all unlikely, I'm sad to say.

In certain cultures, Imperial Rome and classical China for example, suicide was almost programmed as the "correct" response to family misfortune, particularly for a female.  A lot of the casualties in Chinese wars throughout the ages were women who committed suicide because the alternative was vulnerability to rape.

Gothick

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Luciaphil!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2002, 12:42:25 AM »
Are we going to get one of your witty, thoughtful commentaries to today's episodes?  I really want to get out the tape and have a look at these.  Thought Joan looked at her loveliest.

I haven't had a chance to see them yet actually.  Just came back from the downtown library where I have spent, no lie, 6 hours going blind and getting seasick from microfilm trying to gather biographical data from obituaries for a project for grad school.  :'(

Side note here, when Julia and Vicki start blabbing about the wonders of doing historical research, you'll note no one says a damn thing about microfilm, so we all know damn well that they have absolutely no bloody clue about historical research because there is no way they would be able to do this without microfilm.  And yes, I'm bitter.

I will try to critique the episodes, I really like them too, but it may be a few days or maybe I'll just tackle a chunk of them, sort of "with six you get egg roll" thing.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 01:50:33 AM »
Oh boy, I can SO relate about the wonders of microfilm!  Try doing 1950s and 60s theatre research off microfilm copies of the Village Voice and NY Times sometime.  It's ... fun.

Love the "with six you get eggroll" concept!  

Take care,

Steve

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2002, 05:16:31 AM »
Oh boy, I can SO relate about the wonders of microfilm!  Try doing 1950s and 60s theatre research off microfilm copies of the Village Voice and NY Times sometime.  It's ... fun.
Steve

I'll go you one better.  Try looking at microfilm copies of local newspapers from the 1870s to the 1890s  :P  Print is small to begin with, but the papers were so degraded in quality when they were microfilmed that it just adds to that fun you mention.

Although, I did get a huge kick from seeing advertisements for Lydia Pinkham's Cold Cream, lol.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2002, 05:39:07 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to make this comment in, but I haven't seen today's second episode yet, so I didn't know about Naomi committing suicide already -- another example of how much faster things seem to happen in this storyline than I remembered.

What I wanted to say was that I found Joan Bennett's acting to be excellent in the first episode, beginning from when she opened Barnabas' coffin.

She seemed to be truly in shock and stunned through the remainder of the episode -- yet was able to face down Forbes.

An excellent episode all around -- pure Gothic!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Tom

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2002, 09:26:06 AM »
Jocasta? - from the play OEDIPUS REX?