Author Topic: DS Cookbook  (Read 3243 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS Cookbook
« on: July 22, 2006, 10:57:08 PM »
Dark Shadows Cookbook? Seems to me like a strange idea for a DS tie-in. Not a whole lot of cooking going on in DS episodes.
Anyway, I was just wondering, are there any good recipes in there?

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: DS Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
Unknown. Your avitar has mesmerized me. Or is it the Time Tunnel I am passing through...
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »
Dark Shadows Cookbook? Seems to me like a strange idea for a DS tie-in. Not a whole lot of cooking going on in DS episodes.
Anyway, I was just wondering, are there any good recipes in there?

Diana Millay's cookbook is a riot!   >:D  Good recipes?  Hmmmm..... ^-^

Now, I'm speaking w/Karlenfan right now and she says there IS one good cookbook done by the Festival ppl that excellant.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 11:49:42 PM »
  :o there's more than one?

The one I was thinking of is the old paperback from '70

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 12:00:03 AM »
Unknown. Your avitar has mesmerized me. Or is it the Time Tunnel I am passing through...

it's a portal to another dimension  8)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 12:03:35 AM »
  :o there's more than one?

The one I was thinking of is the old paperback from '70

There are 3, that one, the Fest one and Diana's.  Karlenfan says the best of the 3 is the Fest one.  But the 70's one has good pics of the stars and it's recipes FROM the stars.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:52:45 AM »
Wait, Buzz- I've never seen the inside of the 1970 cookbook- does it REALLY have pictures inside?  Maybe you're confusing it with the DS Festival Celebrity Cookbook. Here's a behind-the-scenes story- I gave Jim Pierson the idea for the cookbook becuase in my vast collection of DS articles I found recipes from the likes of Nancy Barrett, David Selby and others.  He ran with the idea, and the resulting cookbook was truly fabulous.  A few months ago I had come across a recipe that Virginia Vestoff (Samantha, 1840) gave to a magazine.  Hmm- maybe I should give it to Jim next month and beg him to start a second Festival Cookbook.  Think of the actors who have started coming to the Festivals in the past decade- I can only wonder what culinary delights they know about!

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 02:53:22 AM »
I keep hearing how awful Diana's cookbook is.......but I kinda like it......The only way I can get my husband to eat carrots is to make her drunken carrots.  But yes, the fest one is really good.  Especially when I was single I used it all the time.  There are several fairly simple recipes in it.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »
What I like about 'The Dark Shadows Cookbook' is the names of the recipes.  "Quentin's Ghoulish Goulash"  "Beth's Haunted Castle Casseroles"  "Magda Under Ground Meats" and "Maggies Witches Brew Fondue".  But I've never seen pictures inside the cookbook, just hand drawn pictures of  "Beth's Haunted Castle Casseroles" and "Quentin's Ghoulish Goulash" to name a few.  About using the recipes in real cooking, "Swedish Meatballs" (which one of my husbands favorites) which I used from "Magda Under Ground Meats".  My husband loved it and whenever I fix Swedish Meatballs, I go to 'The Dark Shadows Cookbook"
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 05:51:28 PM »
Wait, Buzz- I've never seen the inside of the 1970 cookbook- does it REALLY have pictures inside?

The only pictures in the original cookbook are illustrations of some of the recipes and of some of the cooking appliances/tools required to make them. And the front cover photo of Barnabas and the back cover photo of Quentin aren't exactly anything to write home about because we'd seen many similar, if not exactly similar photos before. But still, the book is worth owning for anyone who likes to cook - but just don't expect too many heart/cholesterol-friendly recipes.  [b003]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 11:47:20 PM »
Wait, Buzz- I've never seen the inside of the 1970 cookbook- does it REALLY have pictures inside?  Maybe you're confusing it with the DS Festival Celebrity Cookbook.

Well, I've never actually seen the 1970 book, I was going on what Karlenfan told me, and she said it had pictures in it, so blame her for the misinfo, LOL!  I've have to give her shit about that.  ;)  We're always teasing her about being a rumor mongerer (sp?), LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 01:06:27 AM »
i don't have diana millay's cookbook but i do have her silly book "the power of halloween" and in the back there are some scary recipes and tips...

vegetables stir-fried in apple juice?chicken coated with orange marmalade and lipton's onion soup mix?hashbrowns made with a can of cheddar cheese soup?if these sound good than this is your book. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 02:13:44 PM »
i don't have diana millay's cookbook but i do have her silly book "the power of halloween" and in the back there are some scary recipes and tips...

vegetables stir-fried in apple juice?chicken coated with orange marmalade and lipton's onion soup mix?hashbrowns made with a can of cheddar cheese soup?if these sound good than this is your book. :P

I agree mscbryk, they all sound pretty gross to me.  :P
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
Those Halloween recipes sound pretty icky. But Diana's cookbook- "I'd Rather Eat Than Act" has much better recipes. Plus many of the recipes come with amusing stories of who she got them from. Included is a photo gallery in the center with pictures of Diana with famous people she's worked with and pictures from her career. Her web page ~ dianamillay.com has a section of helpful kitchen tips. She does know her way around a kitchen.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 03:54:48 PM »
Hmm...reminds me of Grayson, who prided herself as a gourmet chef.  I wonder if the new bio will have any recipes of hers!