Author Topic: DVD Planet: DS DVDs a Best Seller / DS Ratings~~Year By Year  (Read 1049 times)

David

Since DS reruns bombed on so many stations, I often wonder if there's only a small number of us hardcore fans who still care.

But DVDPlanet.com, the biggest online DVD store, lists DS Volume 25 in their top pre-orders list.

Which brings up anew question:
were the neilsens accurate for DS reruns, or did they undercount?

David

David

DS Ratings~~Year By Year
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »
DS, according to AC Neilsen,  was never quite as big as we thought~~unless the Neilsens undercount, which I've wondered about for years.

1.  1966-1967  rating: 4.3   13th out of 14 soaps
this rating is comparable to Y & R's current rating, Y & R now being the top rated soap!!!
And this was the pre-Barnabas stuff, which no one was watching!!!

2.  1967-1968  rating: 7.3  dead last out of 12 soaps, and this was after Frid made it popular!!!!!!

3.  1968-1969  rating: 8.4  during it's 1897 peak, it was STILL 11th out of 14 soaps!!!!!!
And the 10 shows rated above it never got the attention DS did! Go figure!!!!

4.  1969-1970  rating: 7.3 The Leviathin Curse begins as the ratings begin to fall.
12th out of an amazing 19 shows! 19 shows!

5. 1970-1971 rating: 5.3 big drop. the end. 16th out of 18 shows.

I'm sorry, but for the worldwide phenomenom DS was, I find it hard to believe it was as low rated as this. And other now cancelled shows, while rated much higher than DS, have no rerun or DVD potential. Some of those other shows are barely remembered at all.

Are Neilsen's really accurate? I don't think so!

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: DS Ratings~~Year By Year
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:28:07 PM »
Are Neilsen's really accurate?

Well, when you consider that Nielson Ratings are based ONLY on a cross-section of American families, in other words, not ALL American homes have that box connected to their TV's, only selected households do, they're not at all!  For TV Ratings to TRULY reflect what ppl are watching across the country, they'd have to have one box connected in EVERY household w/a TV!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: DS Ratings~~Year By Year
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:54:58 PM »
Comparing DS with every other Soap Opera on TV during that time period was tantamount to comparing apples and oranges.

Soaps were for the MILLIONS of stay-at-home housewives.

DS was for a younger, smaller demographic entirely.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Planet: DS DVDs a Best Seller / DS Ratings~~Year By Year
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »
It's also worth noting that during a good portion of its run, DS was ABC's highest rated soap. Also, DS often ranked much higher on the fan polls in the various daytime magazines than it did in the actual ratings - though, of course, those polls didn't exactly gather their info scientifically. I mean, if anyone had wanted to, they could have mailed in multiple votes for DS every day of the week.  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Planet: DS DVDs a Best Seller / DS Ratings~~Year By Year
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:08:33 AM »
But DS is the Soap Opera that is being sold on DVD?? Even after 40 years. Didn't they also cancel Star Trek ??? This just says how dumb is TV executives.   [Blow_Up_IE]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate