Author Topic: DS Revival Series -- Sigh  (Read 6437 times)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS Revival Series -- Sigh
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:27:48 AM »
Wow.  I finally got around to getting the revival series DVDs (a big sale helped me move past my reservations about the fake widescreen), and jeez... how awesome was that?!  Now I'm just sad that it was cancelled prematurely and I'll never know what happened to "those" Collins.  siiiigh....

So, I just wanted to share my impressions of the series, using a "best of" format... feel free to agree, disagree, or add to the list.

And, be forewarned, there are SPOILERS GALORE, so stop reading now if you intend to watch the revival series later...

[spoiler]** Best reinvention of a character:  Maggie Evans.
     Psychic, wild hair, artist, messing around with Roger, not paying the first bit of attention to Joe Haskell.... wow.

**  Worst reinvention of a character:  Angelique.
     The acting was good, but this Ang was just too one-note and lacked the camp/humor/fun.

** Most shocking departure from the original series:  The murder of Joe Haskell.
     Seriously.  I did NOT see that coming.

**  Most frustrating loose end:  Vickie knows Barnabas is a vampire.

**  Best continuity corrective action:  Daniel is a direct part of Joshua's bloodline.  Yay.[/spoiler]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Revival Series -- Sigh
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:01:51 AM »
Worst Reinvention of a Character: Willie Loomis  :P
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:10:13 AM »
Yeah, Willie was kind of over the top, but he and his "auntie" had me in stitches at times!  Auntie and her blueberry flapjacks!!  :)

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 04:22:09 AM »
I totally loved the revival. It was actually my true introduction to DS, other than HoDS, as I never saw the original till the Sci-Fi run. While I wasn't crazy about the format of the DVDs, as well as the lack of ANY extras, the VHS tapes are aging and take up SO much space. I totally agree with your observations, especially regarding the ending (or lack of...).
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
Worst Reinvention of a Character: Willie Loomis  :P

I disagree.  I loved Jim Fife's Willie, he was a stitch!  Of course, Johnny Karlen will always be my favorite Willie Loomis, but Jim's was great too.  ;)

Best line by Fife?  "Gee Barnabas, it's too bad you can't see yourself in the mirror anymore!  You look TERRIFIC!"
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 02:21:34 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the revival. My first viewing of it was on dvd when it came out last October.

My favorite thing about it is without doubt Joanna Going as Victoria. She's by far and away my favorite character of the revival. I also think she played a great Josette. Her portrayal of those characters - along with the 1790 storyline - is what keeps these dvds on my shelf.

I have to agree that Willie is the worst reinvention....too bufoonish. Played for too much comedy.

I liked the reinvention of Maggie. And Michael T. Weiss plays an excellent Peter Bradford. One I can not only tolerate, but like, and that's amazing.  :)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »
Question and speculation regarding the revival series --

[spoiler]Since both Professor Woodard and Joe Haskel were killed-off during the first season, doesn't it seem strange to have the show continue without those two important characters?  Do you think TPTB had plans to "replace" them in some way?  Perhaps with another professor (Stokes?), and another hunk/good-guy to replace Joe?

I'd love to hear your speculation.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »
I thought the new Willie blew chunks.  He was just way too comedic and silly, and played the role for laughs most of the time.  He belongs on Saturday morning cartoons, not on Dark Shadows.

Joanna Going did a great job as Vicki.  She was excellent.

Jean Simmons was a very good Liz.  She had a lot of the regal presence Liz should have.

Roy Thinnes' Trask was weird and totally nuts, and I liked that.  I was indifferent to his Roger.  Roger in the new show was very bland compared to Lois Edmunds' version.

I didn't like Carolyn that much.  I thought she was kind of lame.

David was pretty good.

I loved Barbara Steele's Julia - she was different from Grayson Hall's Julia, but retained the essential elements of the character.  Barbara Steele's version seemed cold and eccentric, but in a different way from Grayson's early Julia episodes.  I liked them both.  I also really enjoyed Steele as Countess Natalie. Her performance as the Countess, as opposed to Fyfe's Willie, is an example of how humor can be an effective part of the DS universe without being stupid for "yuks." 

Lysette Anthony was just so-so as Angelique IMO.  I didn't feel she truly conveyed the fiery inner rage, jealousy and sense of rejection that the character demands.  Instead she just seemed kind of crazy from the get-go. It was an ok take on the character, but I don't know how she would have evolved had the series progressed.

Ben Cross was ok.  I have mixed feelings on him.  At times he didn't seem to be into playing the role.  In interviews he sometimes came off, to me anyway, as dismissive of DS.  And what was up with the tan?  That said, he was very good at certain points in the show but it wasn't consistent.  He could play Barnabas as very fierce, but the dark, calculating intelligence was missing.

I did enjoy the '91 show, and wish it had continued, but the original is my favorite. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 10:22:48 PM »
Question and speculation regarding the revival series --

[spoiler]Since both Professor Woodard and Joe Haskel were killed-off during the first season, doesn't it seem strange to have the show continue without those two important characters?  Do you think TPTB had plans to "replace" them in some way?  Perhaps with another professor (Stokes?), and another hunk/good-guy to replace Joe?[/spoiler]

I'd love to hear your speculation.

I thought the reason [spoiler]Joe died so soon was so that they could bring him back as Chris and start the werewolf storyline. That is my guess because it did happen very quickly, his death.[/spoiler]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
I thought the reason [spoiler]Joe died so soon was so that they could bring him back as Chris and start the werewolf storyline. That is my guess because it did happen very quickly, his death.[/spoiler]

I think you're right, Satan!  :D

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 01:26:13 AM »

I tend to agree that they would have [spoiler]brought him back as a different character... perhaps a time-travelling or reincarnated Peter Bradford... I also think they killed Joe off so soon for shock value... and it certainly worked.  My jaw was on the floor!![/spoiler]

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 01:35:23 AM »
Joanna Going did a great job as Vicki.  She was excellent.

Jean Simmons was a very good Liz.  She had a lot of the regal presence Liz should have.

Roy Thinnes' Trask was weird and totally nuts, and I liked that.  I was indifferent to his Roger.  Roger in the new show was very bland compared to Lois Edmunds' version.

Definitely agree on these counts.

Overall I really really enjoyed this series and am already going through withdrawal!

One nitpick I forgot though... did anyone else think Barnabas looked a bit cartoonish in his makeup toward the end?  Kinda like a Saturday Night Live version of Dracula?  Oh well... it wouldn't be DS without a little camp!

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 03:02:53 AM »
Quote from: ShadowsAtlanta
did anyone else think Barnabas looked a bit cartoonish in his makeup toward the end?  Kinda like a Saturday Night Live version of Dracula?

I agree, ShadowsAtlanta.  I never liked Barnabas's "vampire make-up"  I thought it looked terrible and was unnecessary.  Red eyes and fangs, I can deal with -- but I never really have enjoyed the recent trend for vampires to change their appearance just before they attack someone.

A good actor can change his/her own expression and attitude, and with the addition of fangs, can scare the Hell out of viewers.  All the extra make-up is silly.  Can you imagine Jonathan Frid being painted all white, everytime he bared his fangs?

Everytime I see Ben Cross in a scene with all that make-up, I just cringe.  I don't mind a little camp on DS, but I hate it when the show does something that will make people laugh at it.

I did really enjoy the Revival series, but Ben Cross in that white make-up -- YUCK!

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:27:00 AM »
Quote from: Satan
I tend to agree that they would have [spoiler]brought him back as a different character... perhaps a time-travelling or reincarnated Peter Bradford... I also think they killed Joe off so soon for shock value... and it certainly worked.  My jaw was on the floor!![/spoiler]

I don't think they would have done that. Only because [spoiler]Victoria wasn't in love with Peter from the revival series. It wouldn't make sense to bring him back. I think it would have been better doing it the way of having Michael play Joe's twin brother or cousin that's a werewolf. That way Carolyn could have something to work with for that following season.[/spoiler]

Apparently I missed the post about the actors/actresses. Everyone was ok except Lysette. She acted floozy when doing the spells. I didn't care for it. There wasn't one drop of evil acting coming from her like Lara performed. Lara knew how to be a witch. Lysette didn't and I couldn't picture that show continuing with her as Angelique. I don't think she was the right actress for the part.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 02:17:06 PM »

I think you're right, Satan!  :D

That's probably correct.  And from what I heard back in the day, Adrian Paul was slated to play Quentin.

A good actor can change his/her own expression and attitude, and with the addition of fangs, can scare the Hell out of viewers.  All the extra make-up is silly.  Can you imagine Jonathan Frid being painted all white, everytime he bared his fangs?

Hmm, Frid was so pasty to begin with, was there really a need to use white make-up on him.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"