Author Topic: An Actor's Curious Journey  (Read 1303 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
An Actor's Curious Journey
« on: April 25, 2002, 04:14:44 AM »
8)  I have just gotten " Jonathan Frid  An Actors Courious Journey".  I had known that Mr. Frid had done Shakespeare, alot of Shakespeare, but I didn't know that he had done other plays.  Like "The Rainmaker", Picnic", "The Crucible", "Rebecca", and "Arsenic and Old Lace".  Those just name a few, and my goodness, I thought he was cute as Barnabas (thats why I simply love Barnabas), but he was adorable as a young man, and he just keeps getting better.

Now that I have read this book, I love him even more and respect him with all my heart.  

He is what I call....an actor.  I do not say this very often,  but he is one of them.

Bravo Mr. Frid.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: An Actor's Curious Journey
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2002, 05:44:59 AM »
Thanks for posting your comments about the book. I had asked about it on this forum not too long ago, but nobody responded, so I'm assuming no one else has read it. I would like to read it, but it is quite expensive and I'm wondering if I would feel it was worth the expense right now. How did you go about obtaining the book? There doesn't seem to be any publicity about it anywhere that I've seen.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2002, 05:51:20 AM »
Thanks for posting your comments about the book. I had asked about it on this forum not too long ago, but nobody responded, so I'm assuming no one else has read it. I would like to read it, but it is quite expensive and I'm wondering if I would feel it was worth the expense right now. How did you go about obtaining the book? There doesn't seem to be any publicity about it anywhere that I've seen.

You can visit the author's website at www.curiousjourney.com.  Jonathan Frid has started writiing essays about his response to the book which you can find at www.jonathanfrid.com.

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 07:43:17 AM »
I would like to read it, but it is quite expensive and I'm wondering if I would feel it was worth the expense right now. How did you go about obtaining the book?

This book is WELL worth the read, and really full of interesting, little known facts about Jonathan Frid's acting career. Malia Howard did an excellent job in composing all of material, and with Jonathan's help and input. I obtained my copy at one of his recent One Man Shows, but Malia has a website where you can order from directly www.curiousjourney.com. This book is worth every penny if you are a Jonathan Frid fan, or just want to read about "An Actor's Curious Journey" through over 50 years in acting. Don't hesitate to get it!

Karen #2
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2002, 08:55:18 AM »
I have been thinking about getting this book for almost a year now. I went to Jonathan Frid's show in Georgia last June, figured it would be the only way I would get to meet him since he no longer attends the Dark Shadows Festivals. At least to my knowledge he hasn't for several years. The book was not yet available but I obtained information on it from Mahlia Howard. She was there. After reading the comments here, I've made up my mind to get it. I know my Mom will read it too, she's been a big Jonathan Frid fan since we watched Dark Shadows in the 60's. Something for her to read when she comes over! I saw a couple of the books for sale on Ebay. One was a special limited preview edition. Now out of print. Thanks for the comments and info!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Nancy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2002, 10:39:45 AM »
8)  I have just gotten " Jonathan Frid  An Actors Courious Journey".  I had known that Mr. Frid had done Shakespeare, alot of Shakespeare, but I didn't know that he had done other plays.  Like "The Rainmaker", Picnic", "The Crucible", "Rebecca", and "Arsenic and Old Lace".  Those just name a few, and my goodness, I thought he was cute as Barnabas (thats why I simply love Barnabas), but he was adorable as a young man, and he just keeps getting better.

Actually, most of Jonathan Frid's stage work has been non-Shakespeare plays, though he certainly was in quite a few of the Bard's plays.  The summer before he showed up as Barnabas on DS, he won critical reviews at the San Diego's Old Globe Theater playing the role of "Caliban."  He will be presenting a segment of that play on his website - a brand new reading of it, in fact, starting in late April.

Nancy

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2002, 04:02:38 PM »
I also have this book, and it is a fascinating, well-written look into Frid's life and career.  For those who may be undecided about purchasing it, let me assure you that it is well worth the price.