Author Topic: "Bartender" Bob O'Connell On TCM At 3:00 AM, EST!!!  (Read 988 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
"Bartender" Bob O'Connell On TCM At 3:00 AM, EST!!!
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:29:13 AM »
Hey gang,

Just wanted to let you all know that the Turner Classic Movie Channel will be airing the uproariously funny 1971 film, "Bananas," starring Woody Allen (as the "immortal" Fielding Melish!) at three o'clock this Monday morning.

In the flick, Dark Shadows actor Bob "Blue Whale Bartender Bob Rooney" O'Connell portrays an FBI agent, who interrogates Woody Allen (ersatz/phony South American "liberator" Fielding Melish) in a scene at (I think?) Kennedy Airport. 

I can't tell you, how absolutely thrilled I was, to see Mr. O'Connell actually attired in a suit and tie, rather than in that drab flannel shirt, we always used to see him wearing, standing there behind the tap at the Blue Whale, with that all-too-ubiquitous stogie in his mouth.

Now, don't blink (or, God forbid!) go to the bathroom, or you might miss Mr. O'Connell deliver his one line of dialogue in this hilarious film.  (Watch for the late, great sports announcer Howard Cosell, doing "blow-by-blow" commentary, on the consummation of Woody Allen's and Louise Lasser's marriage in the film.)  >:D

Okay, all of you Dark Shadows insomniacs, you'be been warned!  (I'm not taking any chances myself.  I'm setting my Sony Betamax videorecorder to "SP" speed to record Mr. O'Connell's one-and-only shining moment in a Woody Allen film!) ;D :D ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: "Bartender" Bob O'Connell On TCM At 3:00 AM, EST!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:17:37 AM »
Hey, BtB, did you know that he's in the movie's original trailer?  It's on TCM's site; click "watch a trailer" on this page.   He shows up just before the halfway point, though the other agent is doing the talking.  8)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »
Hey, BtB, did you know that he's in the movie's original trailer?  It's on TCM's site; click "watch a trailer" on (URL)
.   He shows up just before the halfway point, though the other agent is doing the talking.  8)

Midnite,

Yes, poor Mr. O'Connell gets slighted again, not even getting to utter one syllable in that Woody Allen flick.  At least, he gets to say "Good morning!" to Ryan O'Neal as the "always-understated" actor, carries the lovely Ali MacGraw over the threshold, leading into their new, posh upper East Side apartment, in the unbelievably schmaltzy "Love Story."  Yuck!  :o  (Although, I do have to say that Mr. O'Connell looked mighty spiffy in that doorman's uniform!) :D ;)

Bob

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »
hey bob
i working till 12am tonight so i'll tivo it to watch in am when i get home

jennifer
i had the whole 86 WS on beta max till a few years ago
and you know where both of those went!!  only down...
heehee
actually they both went inthe trash were they belong!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV