Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #153 -- DS Survey / Fest Schedule / Pre-Barn DVD Update, more  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Have TPTB learned nothing from the DS revival series?  I know I'm probably in the minority here, but, IMHO, all attempts to recreate DS just sucked.  You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice - unless you';re Julia ;).  DS was, is, and always will be a Gothic classic.  The Star Trek folks got it right - don't try to recreate Kirk, Spock, et all.  Instead we were blessed with Picard and company.  Same concept but new and different characters who happily reside beside the older versions.  Why do they have to keep hacking away at DS and cheapening it with every attempt to cash in on it?  Sorry for ranting.  BUt I just think DS should be left alone to enjoy the way we are right here and now.

Countess

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
This year's will be my first fest, and the costume gala is something I've planned on skipping. It sounds kinda silly, sorta Trekkie-ish. Is it really worth it?

It is DEFINATELY worth it!!  It's a scream!  I laugh SO hard at it!  Some of the skits and musical numbers, whoo-boy!  And, not to sound catty, but some of the ppl in it, well, you just have to see it to believe it! ;)  Trust me, you WON'T regret going to it.   [stfl]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Have TPTB learned nothing from the DS revival series?  I know I'm probably in the minority here, but, IMHO, all attempts to recreate DS just sucked.  You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice - unless you';re Julia ;).  DS was, is, and always will be a Gothic classic. 

I agree w/you Countess, in theory, especially when it comes to the NBC revival, that was a piece of crap IMHO.  Except for a few scenes from it, I generally disliked the NBC version intensely and wasn't at all surprised or saddened it was cancelled, I actually did a jig of joy when it was.  As such, I wasn't at all impressed or excited about the WB's attempt to revive the SAME OLD STORY.  However, having said that, when I saw the pilot at the Hollywood Fest, I was awestruck!  It was fantastic!  Not as good as the original mind you, but they definately "got it right" the second time around.  And, had the show continued, who's to say that several of the former cast members wouldn't have at least made cameo's?  I can definately see Johnny Karlen, KLS, Lara, Marie, Jerry Lacy, Chris Pennock, Jim Storm, David Selby and yes, even Roger Davis, all taking a turn at a guest shot.  Maybe even Kate Jackson could have been persuaded.  That might have been very interesting indeed!   ;D  I look forward to viewing it again in Brooklyn in a few weeks.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
IMO, the problem with the NBC revival is that there wasn't enough "reimagining", and there was too much "remaking". It copied House of Dark Shadows in the present day segment, and there were only a few real differences in the set up of the show (Maggie & Roger, Victoria=Josette). It wasn't creative enough.

ClaudeNorth

IMO, the problem with the NBC revival is that there wasn't enough "reimagining", and there was too much "remaking". It copied House of Dark Shadows in the present day segment, and there were only a few real differences in the set up of the show (Maggie & Roger, Victoria=Josette). It wasn't creative enough.

Seriously!  The NBC revival was, at times, a shot-by-shot remake of HODS.  In that sense, DC was ahead of his time because he did it before Gus Van Sant came out with his shot-by-shot remake of PSYCHO.

Have TPTB learned nothing from the DS revival series? I know I'm probably in the minority here, but, IMHO, all attempts to recreate DS just sucked. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice - unless you';re Julia ;). DS was, is, and always will be a Gothic classic. The Star Trek folks got it right - don't try to recreate Kirk, Spock, et all. Instead we were blessed with Picard and company. Same concept but new and different characters who happily reside beside the older versions. Why do they have to keep hacking away at DS and cheapening it with every attempt to cash in on it? Sorry for ranting. BUt I just think DS should be left alone to enjoy the way we are right here and now.

I think DS would lend itself perfectly to a "Next Generation" sort of treatment.  During its five-year run, DS depicted several generations of the Collins family, so it makes perfect sense to revive the show by depicting yet another generation of the Collinses.  This would allow TPTB to draw upon the rich legacy of the original series while avoiding many of the comparisons that plagued the revivals/retellings.  I don't need to see yet another version of Vicki's arrival and Barnabas's disinterment, but a new series depicting life in 21st century Collinsport could be very exciting.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I think DS would lend itself perfectly to a "Next Generation" sort of treatment. 

Indeed Claude, I said to friends when it became apparent to me that it was a rehash of the arrival of Barnabas and HODS that they should have picked up w/a grown up David and his kids getting into the same kind of trouble he did as a youth.  We did a Round Robin a few years back w/a grown up David that was pretty darn good I thought!   ;D

Anyway, they could always show flashback sequences to re-introduce Barnabas, or, have him return as his "son" (him really, just saying he was his own son) and have David be suspicious that he was in actuality THE Barnabas of his youth.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
I've always thought that the only televison DS project that ever stood a chance of success was one based on a new generation of Collins family members.  It would have all the aspects of the original, but not have to "re-hash" them for the umpteenth time.  Entirely new stories could be woven around new family members encountering old family evils.

And, frankly, if one needs proof that the "next generation" approach works, well, how may times did "Star Trek" pull it off?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Agreed. The '91 "Revival" stank. STAR TREK did it right. And  DOCTOR WHO.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
I hate to say this but now that DC is gone we might have a shot at that Next Generation of DS that would not have happened with DC still calling the shots. Perhapse who ever is not in control of DC Productions and have control over the franchise Jim Pierson? could be talked into doing it with new characters with ties to the orginal. I like the Barnabas comes back as his won son and we must have  Quinten back too but David and Carolyn have grown children 20somethings born in the 70s/early 80s. They could explore some of the unfinished story lines like Rose Cottage.
Just my 2 cents

LdyAnne

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This year's will be my first fest, and the costume gala is something I've planned on skipping. It sounds kinda silly, sorta Trekkie-ish. Is it really worth it?
The first costume gala I attended was a disappointment, mainly because the publicity for the event led me to believe that it was a big costume party.  Instead, everyone sat in the ballroom and watched a couple of people march across the stage in vintage costumes.  I left after about five minutes.  However, by the next year I'd learned that people performed skits and song parodies at the gala too (I'm a sucker for song parodies).  I watched the gala and had such a blast that I was even inspired to enter the following year!  The costume gala is a perfect showcase for fan creativity.  Some entries only relate to DS tangentially but others gently riff on the unintentional humor or inconsistencies of the show, or constitute impressive serious tributes.  One gentleman who regularly attends does spot-on impersonations of Nicholas Blair.  A couple of years ago, a brother/sister team re-enacted the 1795 scene where [spoiler]Barnabas shoots Angelique and she curses him with vampirism.[/spoiler]  Among their props were a rubber bat on a fishing pole, a squirt gun, and a fly swatter.  Our own Bobubas provided the cue cards. Some people appear in quite amazing costumes.  The performers vary in degrees of talent, but it's not a competition; it's an opportunity for fans to share their love of and insight into the show with a respectful audience.  If you enjoy sharing with fans and seeing/hearing lighthearted parodies, then you would probably enjoy the gala.  On the other hand, if you're more serious and mainly interested in the stars, then this might not be up your alley.

ProfStokes

ClaudeNorth

I hate to say this but now that DC is gone we might have a shot at that Next Generation of DS that would not have happened with DC still calling the shots. Perhapse who ever is not in control of DC Productions and have control over the franchise Jim Pierson? could be talked into doing it with new characters with ties to the orginal. I like the Barnabas comes back as his won son and we must have  Quinten back too but David and Carolyn have grown children 20somethings born in the 70s/early 80s. They could explore some of the unfinished story lines like Rose Cottage.

For fans of the Elizabeth-Roger relationship, that dynamic could easily be recreated in the relationship of Carolyn and David.  I imagine a power struggle between the two, with regards to the family business.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
One gentleman who regularly attends does spot-on impersonations of Nicholas Blair.

Indeed he does Professor, he is TOO funny!  The year he admonished the Fests for saying it was the last one and vowing a plague if we didn't have another Fest, then the following year saying, "I see they heeded my warning!"  Too much!  ;)

And our own Charles Ellis had a HILARIOUS skit in Tarrytown where he played "Charnak"!  The room was in stitches!  ;)  Wonder what he's got up his sleeve for this year!  Any hints Charles?!   [naughty]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
I also think a Next Generation style show would work well for DS.  However I picture David, not his kids, being the one who still can't help poking his nose into the supernatural.  David seemed to always have an affinity for attracting unnatural phenomena and I imagine this being a continuing thing into his adulthood.  I imagine Carolyn would be the matriarch of Collinwood, matured after all she's been through in her life.  Maybe she'd have a hellion of a daughter (or son) herself.  David's kids I think would be the opposite of him.  Perhaps more scientifically-minded instead of whimsical.  The hard thing about doing the next generation on DS is that they'd still probably have to bring in Barnabas, Quentin, Angelique and other immortal characters at some point, if only for a cameo.  People would want to see those characters show up at some point.  Casting the original actors would mean having to explain why the characters have aged.  The other option is casting new actors which would be kind of lame and wouldn't work as well IMO.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
And our own Charles Ellis had a HILARIOUS skit in Tarrytown where he played "Charnak"! 

Forgot to mention that Charnak was from "The Isle of Staten"!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
According to an unnamed source, a certain mystic seer will return to Brooklyn in August!!  Let's just hope he doesn't get arrested for what shocking secrets of the Collinses he reveals...... [91a2]