Author Topic: Period Costuming in Dark Shadows  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Period Costuming in Dark Shadows
« on: July 06, 2006, 12:19:01 AM »
One thing that's always struck me with the period timelines in DS is the costuming.  I've been involved with costuming fandom, have recreated both historic and movie costumes, and their costuming never fails to impress me with its accuracy, especially given the tight budget the production ran on.

In 1795, Naomi's costumes were spectacular.  And the other characters, too wore dresses and other clothing which might not have been, if torn apart, 100% period, but they without exception gave the right feel for the period in which they were used. (Needless to say we close our eyes to the visible zippers in the back of all the period dresses -- that's necessary on stage too, for changes that don't take a period accurate amount of time to make!)

1897 - again, with the possible exception of Magda (and after all, who DOES know what the well dressed gypsy was wearing in Maine in those days >:D), the costumes were just so right.  Even the hair, most of the time, was spot on (though you do wonder when Beth the sleepless marvel found the TIME to do that elaborate hairstyle on herself.  Maybe the one thing she refused to give up from her previous life before she had to become a servant?)

Even 1840, headache causing though it is for continuity, got the period right, as did 1841 right down to Julia's OOGLY beyond OOGLY striped dress.

My only gripe, in total, was the men didn't wear hats "outdoors" near as much as they should have been.

So, anyone interested in discussing the costuming or their favorite costumes?

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Period Costuming in Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 01:13:55 AM »
Now that you mention it, the only character I can think of (in 1897 at least) who 95% of the time remembered his hat when out and about was the infamous Reverend Trask.

Speaking of 1897, wouldn't the servants have been given some sort of standard uniform to wear? Or were servants allowed to wear garments of their choice within reason?

Incidentally three of my favorite costumes on the ladies were Josette's form-fitting striped dress she wore just after Angelique put the whammy on her in 1795, and Beth's striped dress (that's in your icon!) I also loved the pink dress Angelique wore with the fur lined cape when stalking Aristede on the docks. That really was a spectacular dress, I wonder why they only used it (to my knowledge) that one time.

No matter the time period I *love* the suits on the men. Three piece suits are so damn sharp looking. I admit to being incredibly partial  frock coats though.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 01:25:54 AM »
Barnabas's present-time suits were killer, especially the gray one.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:40:44 AM »
discussing the d.s. costuming is my favorite subject on earth!

for me the most memorable thing about the historical costuming is the juxtaposition of 18th and 19th century period dress and 1960's make-up and hairdressing styles.like the sets and the music this is to me one of the most distictive things about the show.

the costuming was accurate to a degree but great liberties were taken as well.it's the 18th and 19th centuries as seen through the 1960's.the color combinations could get pretty wild.josette's false eyelashes in 1795 were probably not accurate and vicki's hairdo(at it's most awe-inspiring during this storyline)was not likely the type of thing worn by servant girls at the time.this was all very distict to the late 60's.

but this created a very memorable affect.for me any future version of the show(as much as i'd welcome one)would lack this and thereby be missing some of the charm of the original.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 01:46:06 AM »
Most of the time I really admire the period clothing (except for the strongly-hued 60's dresses). I have a tiny but glaring criticism of one of Josette's 1795 garbs. I have to wonder if KLS designed it herself and I read she did that every so often. My beef is with the lush purple short sleeved number with the low neck and beige front area just after Barnabas died. I don't understand why Josette suddenly stopped wearing black mourning considering both Barnie and Jeremiah were dead. I thought the dress most inappropriate and VERY out of character for such a good-girl perfectionists who desperately wanted to do the right thing. I can't image Josette wearing it at the time, so it must have been a vanity thing for KLS who wanted to doll up to visit Vickie in jail. Her cloak was pretty flimsy as well, way much so for February Maine weather, which is the month I belived it all happened. Someone in wardrobe should have nixed the outfit.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 02:02:04 AM »
good point stephan about proper mourning dress.

i'm not as sure about what the customs would have been in the 18th century but as for the late 19th century a proper,upper-class victorian family would certainly have donned mourning black.possibly for as long as a year when a family member died.the entire household would have into mourning(shades drawn etc.).
here the characters wore the same gaily colored costumes as usual.

some of the most absurd funeral garb ever on the show was worn for paul stoddard's funeral in 1970.liz and carolyn in full black regalia veils and all.they could have been attending the funeral of queen victoria herself.it was way over the top. ::)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 02:19:53 AM »
Most of the time I really admire the period clothing (except for the strongly-hued 60's dresses). I have a tiny but glaring criticism of one of Josette's 1795 garbs. I have to wonder if KLS designed it herself and I read she did that every so often. My beef is with the lush purple short sleeved number with the low neck and beige front area just after Barnabas died. I don't understand why Josette suddenly stopped wearing black mourning considering both Barnie and Jeremiah were dead. I thought the dress most inappropriate and VERY out of character for such a good-girl perfectionists who desperately wanted to do the right thing. I can't image Josette wearing it at the time, so it must have been a vanity thing for KLS who wanted to doll up to visit Vickie in jail. Her cloak was pretty flimsy as well, way much so for February Maine weather, which is the month I belived it all happened. Someone in wardrobe should have nixed the outfit.

The family could have worn mourning garb for Jeremiah, but as far as the rest of the world was concerned Barnabas had sailed off to England. How strict were standards for widows at that time? I know about wearing black for a year, but I've just recently begun reading Gone with the Wind and in it it's mentioned that Scarlett would have to wear knee length veiled black bonnets for three years, shortened to shoulder length after three. Were widows expected to wear mourning regalia for that long?

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 03:10:05 AM »
the costuming was accurate to a degree but great liberties were taken as well...this was all very distict to the late 60's...but this created a very memorable affect...for me any future version of the show(as much as i'd welcome one)would lack this and thereby be missing some of the charm of the original.

I agree whole-heartedly. I do not want to take this off-topic, but I have to say that that's one of the main reasons I can't fully get behind DS remakes. DS was a product of it's time - it can't be duplicated.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
The period costumes were GORGEOUS!  Hands down!  ;)  My favorite outfit for Barnabas were in 1795 the suit he was wearing when he was waiting in the drawing room to marry Josette.  I love that dark blue w/the white vest, very spiffy looking.  And he only wore it that one ep so it was definately his 'wedding suit'.  I also love the gray inverness he wears in 1897 after [spoiler]he's cured and pretending to be the REAL Barnabas[/spoiler]

The frock coats in 1897 were killer but one complaint I have about 1897 was that EVERY day Quentin wore the same damn suit!  Surely the man had more than one set of clothing.  You'd think David Selby would have been sick of always wearing the same thing.  I think this is also the case for Chris Pennock in 1840 as Gabriel, I *believe* he wears the same suit through-out that plotline as well, but I've only seen 1840 once on SciFi the last time it ran.  I also think Barnabas' clothes later in the plotline, when he was suddenly wearing the gray inverness instead of the black one, were nicer although he had some nifty threads through-out the plotline.

As to 1840 and 1841 PT, the best suit Barnabas wore in 1840 was that purple job, we told Mary McKinley-Haas (costumer for 1840/1841 PT) this when she sat at our table at one of the Fest banquets.  I also loved the grey dress Julia wore in the same scene.  The two really complimented one another.  That striped dress she wears in 1841 PT was just too much!  I call it her Fruit Striped Gum dress, LOL!  ;)

The clothes in 1841 PT were pretty much the same since the costumer was the same, my faves being Bramwell's traveling suit (the one he wears in the ep of his first appearance and never wears again) and that suit at the end.  THAT thing was gorgeous.  I must say, ol' Jon looked faba-lous in da period clothes.  ;)  And his hair looked the best about 1/2 way through 1841 PT too, when [spoiler]Bramwell was married to Daphne[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 11:45:30 PM »
The frock coats in 1897 were killer but one complaint I have about 1897 was that EVERY day Quentin wore the same damn suit!  Surely the man had more than one set of clothing.  You'd think David Selby would have been sick of always wearing the same thing.

It is a shame, I think at one point while he was a hauntin' they had him sporting a black suit that looked quite nice.

The only dress from 1897 that I LOATHE is the purple and brown shiny dress with the high ruffled collar that Judith wears. I know the victorian age was all about purple, but that dress is hideous.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 01:08:47 AM »
slightly off-topic...

but i just love joan bennett in black in all time periods. :-*

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 01:44:45 AM »
Now that you mention it, the only character I can think of (in 1897 at least) who 95% of the time remembered his hat when out and about was the infamous Reverend Trask.

Speaking of 1897, wouldn't the servants have been given some sort of standard uniform to wear? Or were servants allowed to wear garments of their choice within reason?

Incidentally three of my favorite costumes on the ladies were Josette's form-fitting striped dress she wore just after Angelique put the whammy on her in 1795, and Beth's striped dress (that's in your icon!) I also loved the pink dress Angelique wore with the fur lined cape when stalking Aristede on the docks. That really was a spectacular dress, I wonder why they only used it (to my knowledge) that one time.

No matter the time period I *love* the suits on the men. Three piece suits are so damn sharp looking. I admit to being incredibly partial  frock coats though.

Oh good, I was wondering whether there would be interest in this topic and I come home to all these great posts!  Think I better break up my responses though else this post will be longer than Moby Dick.

The hat thing is amusing -- I remember ONE instance in 1897 where Quentin wore a hat, and I think only one with Edward.  Both were at the beginning of the storyline.  Edward wore a beaver the whole time he was bringing Rachel to Collinwood, and MIGHT have worn one once or twice after that.

With Quentin, its amusing -- in the first scene where we see him, he wears a hat for I think the first and last time -- might even be that hat of Edward's which I think might be the same one they used for Trask.  But what cracks me up with that scene with Quentin is that he's NOT wearing that suit that went all through 1897.  Or rather, he's only weaaring the frockcoat of it -- with a pair of fawn colored riding britches and riding boots.  Makes sense, he HAD just gotten in.  But the humor was in Selby's handling of the frockcoat -- he keeps swishing it around and wrapping himself in it like a bathrobe.  And it was far from the first time the guy had done Victorian for a role, so one wonders whether it was nervousness, lack of props to play around with for business with his hands -- or whether the riding britches that were never seen again were way too tight for him to be comfortable.

Servants having a uniform?  Might have, maybe something simple like a plain black or navy dress for the women. Beth wore that a couple times, along with the silly maid hat (as opposed to the silly hat that went with that nice striped outfit of hers  - I like that dress too!).   Beth is an anomaly though, being a LADIES maid, which was NOT really a maid the way we think of one, but a combination dresser, social secretary and companion.  They were usually from good family who either had no money or who had lost their money and they looked after the ladies rooms, things and kept up her clothing. They tended to get the mistress' cast off dresses, which they remade for themselves, which certainly explains how well Beth always dressed.

Favorite costumes -- most of the specific ones I can think of are from 1897, simply because I haven't seen 1795 since it was on Sciffi (though I just got the dvds and its just a matter of getting the time to watch).  In addition to Angelique's pink one (I really disliked her green one by the way) and Beth's striped number, I also liked Ghost Beth's dress, which WAS likely a wedding dress.  I found one which was almost its twin on a site for a Victorian bridal museum. (amusing thing when I was trying to get a screen cap of the dress, as I was using it in a story I recently finished.  -- in the scene where Chris is poisoned in the cottage, she bends down to look at him and you see that Terry Crawford was wearing generic ladies white pumps, NOT period.  The Dan Curtis budget strikes again!)

Judith also had a number of lovely dresses throughout the storyline despite the fact that in reality, by the end of the storyline she wouldnt' even have been out of mourning for Grandmamamama yet, much less Jenny and Carl, etc.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 01:53:21 AM »
discussing the d.s. costuming is my favorite subject on earth!

for me the most memorable thing about the historical costuming is the juxtaposition of 18th and 19th century period dress and 1960's make-up and hairdressing styles.like the sets and the music this is to me one of the most distictive things about the show.

the costuming was accurate to a degree but great liberties were taken as well.it's the 18th and 19th centuries as seen through the 1960's.the color combinations could get pretty wild.josette's false eyelashes in 1795 were probably not accurate and vicki's hairdo(at it's most awe-inspiring during this storyline)was not likely the type of thing worn by servant girls at the time.this was all very distict to the late 60's.

but this created a very memorable affect.for me any future version of the show(as much as i'd welcome one)would lack this and thereby be missing some of the charm of the original.

Goodie, another costuming junkie!  [bounce].  Interesting, I hadn't thought of the makeup, etc as one with the costuming, but just of the clothing itself.  Those eyelashes in EVERY period made me cringe, so I think I blotted them out of my memory.  I know repectable women didn't wear makeup then (funny thign is G. Trask even refers to that when bawling out Pansy/Charity, yet we see ALL of them wearing "lip rouge" even Judith) so I think I just ignore that for that reason. Then again, in 1795 with the Countess and her beauty marks, it does approach period accuracy.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 02:07:05 AM »
The family could have worn mourning garb for Jeremiah, but as far as the rest of the world was concerned Barnabas had sailed off to England. How strict were standards for widows at that time? I know about wearing black for a year, but I've just recently begun reading Gone with the Wind and in it it's mentioned that Scarlett would have to wear knee length veiled black bonnets for three years, shortened to shoulder length after three. Were widows expected to wear mourning regalia for that long?

I think the period around Gone With the Wind was pretty close to when Albert died, and Victoria turned mourning into a cottage industry. I have (or had, since it's gone a bit moribund from lack of interest) a yahoo group for discussion of real history and Dark Shadows, and I found a link I had posted there on mourning customs.  http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Quarter/2926/Mourning.htm

This covers some of Colonial times as well, and they claim that there wasn't much in the way of mourning rituals then, so the whole thing of mourning for Jeremiah, Barnabas, Naomi et al may be a moot point.  Of course, when it comes to net resources your mileage tends to vary, so I would check this against a google of other similar resources. I used to have a bunch more links on this, but can't put my hands on them at the moment.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 02:11:52 AM »
As to 1840 and 1841 PT, the best suit Barnabas wore in 1840 was that purple job, we told Mary McKinley-Haas (costumer for 1840/1841 PT) this when she sat at our table at one of the Fest banquets.  I also loved the grey dress Julia wore in the same scene.  The two really complimented one another.  That striped dress she wears in 1841 PT was just too much!  I call it her Fruit Striped Gum dress, LOL!  ;)

LMAO on the Fruit Striped Gum dress.  Really sad thing is that, like Samantha's cocker spaniel hairdo (see any pic of Elizabeth Barrett Browning to check the accuracy of that one), the OOGLY stripes WERE accurate to period.

Early Victorian had a lot of carry overs from late Regency/Georgian -- hideous color combinations on those tight tight britches and their frockcoats, and the matress ticking stripes.

Then again, you also have the sudden switch from those colors to NO COlOR for men.  As a costumer friend of mine puts it, "Beau Brummell has a LOT to answer for".