Author Topic: Any DS Cast On Here?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline millicent

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Any DS Cast On Here?
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:54:39 AM »
I was wondering if any of y'all are former cast members or if they ever pop on here.  :)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Any DS Cast On Here?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »
There was something about this here a few months back when I was still just lurking, and I had some fun imagining the cast members reading this forum.  It went something like this:

Roger Davis reads this Forum, and tears his hair.

Thayer David reads this Forum from the Great Beyond using skills he developed while working on Dark Shadows, and he chuckles.  When Dan Curtis arrived, Thayer offered to show Dan how to access the Forum, but Dan was more interested in playing golf with Julius Caesar.

John Karlen read this Forum once and laughed.  And laughed.  And laughed.  Fell off his chair laughing.  Rolled all over the floor laughing.  Couldn't eat because he was laughing so hard.  In the end he lost 80 pounds.  At the upcoming Fest he'll be autographing copies of his new book, "The Dark Shadows Diet."

Kathryn Leigh Scott reads this Forum and says to herself, "Hmm...better not try to sell dear Jonathan's gall bladder at the Fest this year...but his toenail clippings should fetch a pretty penny!"

THE PEN, now living in penniless obscurity, reads this Forum and sighs, and deeply regrets having wasted all his Dark Shadows earnings on booze, gambling, and cheap magic markers.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 11:20:53 PM »
I was wondering if any of y'all are former cast members or if they ever pop on here.  :)

From what I remember being said at my first fest, in 03, someone asked and none of the actors in attendance admitted to doing so, so I think the chances are they don't prowl groups boards, etc.  Then again, think how many years ago it was for them, even though these were jobs that all seem to remember with great fondness.

I think with the older fandoms like DS its relatively rare for the actors or most production people to lurk.  On the other hand, its VERY common with shows which came about since the net.  I know a number of actors from Roswell frequent Fan Forum, and a few of those even moderate areas.  And I remember when I was on GEnie when Babylon 5 was on the air, Strasynski (sp?) was on there regularly, posting away and taking the pulse of fan reaction as the story unfolded.  And with The West Wing the powers that be were active on line, and the late John Spencer was active to some extent, especially with the site of his self styled "estrogen brigade".  I also think I remember reading on some WW board that Dule Hill had met some fans on line and through that they had ended up visiting the set.

The flip side to remember, of course -- though this wouldn't be a cause for concern on a civil, mature and well moderated board like this one -- is that the actors and the powers that be in any fandom might, when exploring on line see more than you want them to of the less civilized "dark side of fandom".  This ties in with the rule of thumb I remember from the pre Internet days of fandom.  When it comes to any fannish activity involving  actors, assume they will never know what you do, but behave as if they see everything you do.  Its still a good rule to follow for minimizing possible conflicts (copyright, trademark, etc.) with the powers that be.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

David

Passions
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 01:44:11 AM »
I don't know about DS actors here, but Passions actors Tracey Ross (Dr Eve Russell) and Ben Masters (Julian Crane) both admitted that they lurk at Passions fan forums, so ya never know.....

David

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 02:39:17 AM »
Kathryn Leigh Scott reads this Forum and says to herself, "Hmm...better not try to sell dear Jonathan's gall bladder at the Fest this year...but his toenail clippings should fetch a pretty penny!"

WOW! Really?? that bad, huh? I knew Frid must have been prime selling material for her DS book as his picture is huge on the cover but ... I just hope he got something from it.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 03:17:32 PM »
There was something about this here a few months back when I was still just lurking, and I had some fun imagining the cast members reading this forum.  It went something like this:

Roger Davis reads this Forum, and tears his hair.

Thayer David reads this Forum from the Great Beyond using skills he developed while working on Dark Shadows, and he chuckles.  When Dan Curtis arrived, Thayer offered to show Dan how to access the Forum, but Dan was more interested in playing golf with Julius Caesar.

John Karlen read this Forum once and laughed.  And laughed.  And laughed.  Fell off his chair laughing.  Rolled all over the floor laughing.  Couldn't eat because he was laughing so hard.  In the end he lost 80 pounds.  At the upcoming Fest he'll be autographing copies of his new book, "The Dark Shadows Diet."

THE PEN, now living in penniless obscurity, reads this Forum and sighs, and deeply regrets having wasted all his Dark Shadows earnings on booze, gambling, and cheap magic markers.

This is too funny!  Re: KLS and the gall bladder sale, for YEARS I've been joking she'll do this!  ;)  Hey, she sold his hair clippings one year, got several 100 for it as I recall, maybe even a 1,000 or more.  Go figure!  Some ppl will buy ANYTHING!  P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute!" ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 03:59:45 PM »

Very funny, Lydia!

Hey, she sold his hair clippings one year, got several 100 for it as I recall, maybe even a 1,000 or more.  Go figure!  Some ppl will buy ANYTHING!  P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute!" ;)

The clippings raised $300 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.  She told how she collected them and recently came across the envelope, said her brother is diabetic...

I knew Frid must have been prime selling material for her DS book as his picture is huge on the cover but ... I just hope he got something from it.

Ha!  Oops, was that my out loud voice?  ;)

Offline millicent

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 04:21:55 PM »
lol. Was my question insane?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 04:53:03 PM »
The clippings raised $300 for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation.  She told thow she collected them and recently came across the envelope, said her brother is diabetic...

Well at least the money went to a good cause.  I remember her giving the back-story as to how she came to have the clippings.  She was off that day but went to the studio to get her paycheck or something (maybe the next script?) and he was getting a haircut from Vinnie Loscazo.  She walked into the make-up room, saw all his hair on the floor and said, "Jonathan, is all that YOUR hair?"  He looked down and said, "Yep" and she said, "Well, we should sweep it up and sell it!  It could make a fortune!" and grabbed a broom and swept it up.  He reportedly laughed and playfully said to get out (all in fun, he thought she was nuts to think HIS hair would get any money).

And you know the rest....LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 07:07:39 PM »
lol. Was my question insane?

Not at all! I can't say whether or not any DS stars have checked out the various DS boards lately, but a few definitely did back in the '90s. For instance: Kate Jackson checked out the old AOL boards and even became personally involved in one poster's Web site that was devoted to her - I don't remember which board it was, but Roger Davis occasionally lurked on one and supposedly that's how he found out what many in fandom thought of his behavior at the Fests, and that supposedly led him to change his ways - Matthew Hall, though not a DS actor, used to read and post on the VantageNet version of this forum - and Jonathan Frid is aware of this forum and has been given access to it, though we actually have no idea if he's ever personally visited.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »
I forgot to mention that Dan Curtis, through his then assistant Debbie Smith, used to keep tabs on the old DS board on the now defunct Prodigy service. And she would often post news or ask questions on his behalf. For instance, it was through her that we learned NBC's Warren Littlefield finally realized that he'd been an idiot to cancel the '91 DS series and wanted to revive it as a series on made-for-TV movies, similar to what they were doing with Perry Mason. However, given the way that Littlefield had treated Curtis/DS, not surprisingly, Curtis declined the offer.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »

And with The West Wing the powers that be were active on line, and the late John Spencer was active to some extent, especially with the site of his self styled "estrogen brigade".  I also think I remember reading on some WW board that Dule Hill had met some fans on line and through that they had ended up visiting the set.

Those hypocrites!    West Wing did an episode where a board was devoted to one of their characters, and it was supposed to be typical of message boards.    Everyone on it was half-nuts.    Well, never take Aaron Sorkin too seriously maybe, or not everyone there agreed with him.   I wish I'd come across WW in time to find those boards.   I can't find a single good WW one.

Mostly OT, sorry.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor