Poll

Which of the following 1897 male characters was more evil and rotten to the bone?

Count Andreas Petofi.
1 (6.3%)
Rev. Gregory Trask
15 (93.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 11, 2006, 11:36:02 PM

Author Topic: 1897 arch villains  (Read 4350 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
1897 arch villains
« on: June 27, 2006, 11:36:02 PM »
Which of these characters gets the prize for being 1897's Worst Person in the World?
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1897 arch villains
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:49:51 AM »
I've always thought the humans of DS (e.g. Nathan Forbes, Gabriel Collins) were more villainous than any of the supernatural beings, and the most evil of them all was Gregory Trask.  I expect witches and warlocks to do evil things, but Trask was a "reverend," a man who was supposed to uphold goodness, and instead Gregory engaged in every possible perversion: child abuse (child molestation?), murder, conspiracy, gas-lighting, blackmail.  Count Petofi's villiany was almost cartoonish in comparison.  The lengths to which humans will go because of greed or revenge pale next to performing a Black Mass or possessing a child.  The former dangers are real.

ProfStokes

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:04:19 PM »
I've always thought the humans of DS (e.g. Nathan Forbes, Gabriel Collins) were more villainous than any of the supernatural beings, and the most evil of them all was Gregory Trask.  I expect witches and warlocks to do evil things, but Trask was a "reverend," a man who was supposed to uphold goodness, and instead Gregory engaged in every possible perversion: child abuse (child molestation?), murder, conspiracy, gas-lighting, blackmail.  Count Petofi's villiany was almost cartoonish in comparison.  The lengths to which humans will go because of greed or revenge pale next to performing a Black Mass or possessing a child.  The former dangers are real.

I agree w/the Professor, I expect Anglique, Petofi, Nicholas Blair etc...to do evil things, they made pacts w/the Devil.  But Trask was a friggin' hypocrit, and I hate those more than anything!!  Trask was suppossedly a 'man of the cloth' who is supposed to be a good, true person.  He's no better than molesting Catholic priests IMHO.  He betrays a public trust and that's reprehensible in my book.   >:(  The above named villains don't pretend to be anything they're not, not really anyway.  They may pour on the charm to get what they want, but their agenda is always clear to us, the viewer.

Edited by Midnite
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:30:59 PM »
I pretty much agree completely with both the Professor and BuzzH.  Trask was the extreme; pure evil hiding under a mask of sanctimony.  That I think is what makes everyone react the way they do to him.  Petofi on the other hand is a typical omnipotent villian, like Goldfinger, FuManchu or the Emperor in Star Wars.  Wants complete power and domination and loves playing head games -- but always to a purpose.

Trask on the other hand, even more than Nicky Blair, is evil for the sake of enjoyment of evil.  Closest equivalent I can think of offhand would be the kind of "Christian" to whom it doesn't matter about behaviour or ethics or the following of the teachings -- they feel they can behave however they want because their belief is all they need.

Personally the thing that gave me the worst case of the crawls about Gregory Trask was the implication of molestation/rape with both Rachel AND with Charity.  It's hard to think that that was there by accident -- the cast and or writers HAD to have put that in deliberately.  True, some implications are sort of built into the Victorian novels they swiped from, but I think they took it further.

And speaking of that implication in Victorian literature, here's a point to ponder.  To give you some background, for the last couple years I have worked for a child welfare organization where, although I don't deal directly with the neglected abused and molested kids, I had to undergo some very thorough training on child abuse and the signs and signals that a kid is being molested.  A good amount of the behavior we see in something like Trask with Charity or Rachel, or the complete package of the stock character of the Victorian Rake (read Quentin) are also behaviour patterns that are warning signs that the child, youth or adult was a victim of molestation or sexual abuse.

I'll tell you I was quite shocked when I realized that. 

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 03:44:13 AM »
Personally the thing that gave me the worst case of the crawls about Gregory Trask was the implication of molestation/rape with both Rachel AND with Charity.  It's hard to think that that was there by accident -- the cast and or writers HAD to have put that in deliberately.  True, some implications are sort of built into the Victorian novels they swiped from, but I think they took it further. 

Honestly some of Trask's scenes with Rachael make my skin crawl.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 04:42:32 AM »
Honestly some of Trask's scenes with Rachael make my skin crawl.

Only some?  Every time the Gregory character is onscreen, I want to douse myself with high-powered disinfectant.  I feel physically ill listening to some of his interactions with Rachel (and Amanda).  Jerry Lacy certainly did a brilliant job of creating a despicable villain.

ProfStokes

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 05:42:57 AM »
I agree with Prof Stokes :)

Offline FireRose

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 06:47:05 AM »
In regards to the Gregory Trask storyline and the implied child molestation/rape involved in this plot.

I'm surprised this story got past the censors.

FireRose

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
Every time the Gregory character is onscreen, I want to douse myself with high-powered disinfectant.

I LOL at this!  Truly!  And I agree, I feel the need to get out the Purell whenever Trask slithers onto the scene.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 04:42:53 PM »
We're all here because of our interest in discussing and reading about a favorite series, yet our reasons for it are as varied as our regions, cultures, politics and religions.  This is why it's not a good idea to state strong opinions that may conflict with someone else's political or religious views, and the reason that certain comments were removed from this topic.  Thanks!

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 05:16:59 AM »
Even as creepy as Trask was, he did provide some great entertainment.
[spoiler]Like the first time he sees Charity after she has been turned into Pansity Faye![/spoiler]The look on his face is priceless! LOL

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 07:08:30 AM »
the villan in this piece was definately Gregory Trask. he tried to seduce one of his employees,

[spoiler]mudered his wife

Conned Judith into marriage then tried to drive her insane[/spoiler]
the dude was a weasel and got what he deserved

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 02:09:04 PM »
the villan in this piece was definately Gregory Trask. he tried to seduce one of his employees ... the dude was a weasel and got what he deserved.

YEAH he did!  I loved that [spoiler]he was sealed up in Quentin's room to die like the piece of garbage he was and then cried like a bitch when Judith taunted him via phone and wouldn't let him out.  A TRUE coward he was!  Great scenes for Joan Bennett to play btw...[/spoiler]   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 01:37:14 AM »
And better-yet Buzz, [spoiler]when his decayed body was finally found in 1968, no one had even heard of him.  Everyone assumed the body belonged to someone else -- Quentin.

I think that is the ultimate insult to the sleazy Gregory Trask -- he was forgotten in history and his body was misidentified.  How mortifying for the ego-maniac.[/spoiler]
: )

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 01:50:46 AM »
Even the other villians in 1897 had reason to fear/loathe good 'ol Gregory Trask - He used/insulted/threatened everyone from Evan Hanley to Aristede!  The depiction of this "man of the cloth," much like his ancestor Trask from 1795, was among the main objections that some religious groups had to the "moral tone" of the show.  I have always loved the way that DS has pointed up hypocrisy and the fact that, in real life, nothing is as black-and-white as some would have it be(ie; a man of the cloth is always a symbol of good and a vampire is always a symbol of bad).  At least we could always depend on a Trask to live up to his stripes! ::)

On another note, I remember being surprised as a kid when King Johnny, who started out as a threat, ultimately became allied with our heroes!  To this day, he remains one of the most memorable short term characters of the show for me and, I'm sure, many others.

Petofi