Author Topic: Afternoon TV, Vol.1, No.1, August 1968  (Read 2577 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Afternoon TV, Vol.1, No.1, August 1968
« on: June 24, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »
I recently won this on eBay and I'm so proud of it that I thought I'd show it off here  ;D

Inside is a 2 page article on DS plus 2 pages of on-set stills and behind the scenes shots.There's a 2 page article on Joan Bennet titled "SHE STARTED AS A BLONDE", a 1 page article on Clarice Blackburn, and a 1 page article on Frid. But what has to be my favorite, next to the beautiful cover of course, is a full-page feature that states:

'BE TAKEN TO DINNER BY ROGER DAVIS

Someone is going to have dinner with Roger Davis! Someone will be taken to an elegant New York City restaurant by one of the grooviest soap stars around. Roger and his date will spend a good part of the evening talking seriously about the Soaps - how the shows are produced, how actors and actresses get to be on the shows, and a good part of the evening laughing (becaus Roger has a great sense of humor).
  A delicious dinner, candlelight and wine, and delightful company are only part of the fun. Photos of Roger and his date (you, you and your husband, you and your boyfriend, if you wish) will appear in the next issue of "After-noon TV."
  We've chosen Roger because we feel he's the ideal date. He's warm, fun, handsome, a bachelor, very enthusiastic about the Soaps,(and about "Dark Shadows," the show he's on), and very anxious to meet an equally enthusiastic Soap Opera-watcher.
  Now to the contest. If you are an avid Soap watcher, chances are you have a favorite show and we'd like to know about it (it does not have to be "Dark Shadows"). Just tell us in a few sentences about the show you wouldn't miss for anything in the world. Selection of winner will be based on originality and content. Remember, you don't have to be a great writer to have a good reason to love a certain Soap Opera.'

Then there's an "application" you can fill out and send in with your name and address, and a space to fill in that says:

"My favorite show is.............because................................................................................."

:D

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Afternoon TV, Vol.1, No.1, August 1968
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »
retzev....this sounds priceless!!

Congratulations on your win.

(Does anyone know who ultimately won the contest? Were there photos and other follow-up?)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »
retzev....this sounds priceless!!

Congratulations on your win.

(Does anyone know who ultimately won the contest? Were there photos and other follow-up?)

Thanks Patti

Hopefully I'll be able to track down issue #2 one of these days and answer those questions  :)

I passed up  a couple copies of this that didn't appear to be in quite as good shape and had high starting bids. One had an opening bid of $49 and later another wanted the bidding started at $125 or something ridiculous like that. Finally this copy showed up for auction with a starting bid of $25, and nobody bid on it but me  ;D
Just goes to show, eBay is not always an accurate gauge of value.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
Outtasight!

I used to have this issue.  Ya know, once I entered a contest - "Win A Date With Jonathan Frid".
Needless to say....I didn't win.

:'(

PS  They should have had the contest be, "Win The Assurance You'll Never Have To Have Dinner With Roger Davis".   Heh heh ha ha hee... (ahem)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 08:26:41 PM »
Hopefully I'll be able to track down issue #2 one of these days and answer those questions

Actually, I'm thinking the dinner was featured in the 4th issue of AfterNoon TV. The "lucky" winner and her husband/boyfriend had dinner with Roger. It wasn't exactly romantic and the pictures from it are pretty ridiculous (Roger feeds the winner, the winner feeds Roger, Roger falls asleep  ::)), but if anyone REALLY wants to see them, I can hunt them down, scan and post them. Otherwise, count yourselves lucky that you've never seen them.  [wink2]

PS  They should have had the contest be, "Win The Assurance You'll Never Have To Have Dinner With Roger Davis".   Heh heh ha ha hee... (ahem)

That probably would have been better!  [lghy]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 10:32:28 PM »
PS  They should have had the contest be, "Win The Assurance You'll Never Have To Have Dinner With Roger Davis".   Heh heh ha ha hee... (ahem)

I LOVE IT.  It's so EEVIL  - and so true!  [batang]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 12:04:19 AM »
...but if anyone REALLY wants to see them, I can hunt them down, scan and post them.

Por Favor! I REALLY want to see them  :D

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »
I bought it when it was fresh, hot and brand new on the stands way back in that Summer of 1968.  I kept it with a bunch of other DS related mags for years.  They disappeared mysteriously while I was away at college.  To this day my Mother disavows all knowledge of what happened to those zines.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 12:49:12 AM »
congratulations on your win.

that's a great picture on the cover.

here's an absolutely useless piece of trivia for you.the black and white tartan dress vicki wears in all of the photographs taken during this shoot(several were also used for the trading cards)never actually appears on the show itself.i looked for it. :P

so one can assume the dress was alexandra moltke's own.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:51:46 PM »
Mscbryk, I actually find this fascinating!  Thanks for letting us know.

I think these photos were from an episode of the Dream Curse storyline; am I right?  Or is it the one from the original Adam "Experiment" sequence where Vicki was telling Barnabas how terrified she was of Cassandra and he found himself staring a little too intently at her neck?  (I do love that scene.)

cheers, Steve

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 10:38:07 PM »

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 10:43:42 PM »
Vol 1 Number 2 has about 30+ pictures of DS and another contest.."Win a visit  to the set of Dark Shadows"..and the Roger Davis dinner pictures are  in vol 1 #4 (Barnabas/ Angelique cover)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 03:56:38 PM »
Thanks for the pics coterie.  Even in photographs RD can't act, sheesh!   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »
Thanks for the pics coterie.

Yes, thanks coterie-mc. I've been busy helping a friend with a project at his house for the past few days, and I didn't have the chance to scan the pics. Now I don't have to.  ;)  And thanks for scanning the cover - I love that picture.

One of the things I always liked about AfterNoon TV is that they nearly always covered DS extensively in every issue. So much so that the fans of many other soaps would actually write in complaining that DS got so much coverage and their soap(s) didn't. But what those people apparently failed to notice was that DS always seemed to rank high on AfterNoon TV's reader's favorite soaps poll. So, they were simply responding to what many of their readers had indicated they'd wanted to see in AfterNoon TV. And after all, could they help it if so many of their readers loved DS?  [b003]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 12:49:54 AM »
I think these photos were from an episode of the Dream Curse storyline; am I right?  Or is it the one from the original Adam "Experiment" sequence where Vicki was telling Barnabas how terrified she was of Cassandra and he found himself staring a little too intently at her neck?  (I do love that scene.)

gothick,

i don't know if these photographs were specific to any episode.my guess is that they were taken sometime in early 1968.

but my avatar is actually a still from the episode you speak of with the scene between vicki and barnabas(which i loved too).
i just noted this recently when i happened to re-watch this episode.barnabas is staring longingly at vicki's neck and the avatar is vicki at the moment she turns around and glances at barnabas.she asks barnabas if he's alright and he excuses himself and beats a hasty retreat to dr.lang's place and once again miss winters dodges a bullet. ;)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.