Author Topic: Characters who tempt you to fast-forward  (Read 11453 times)

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
Characters who tempt you to fast-forward
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »
I've been watching the PT storyline when Lisa Richard's/Sabrina's wooden, awful acting inspired the idea for this thread.  Yes, Sabrina, either in RT or PT, has caused me to fast-forward through many scenes.  It's almost unbearable to watch her together with Don Briscoe/Chris, especially towards the end of the Leviathans when they're [spoiler]locked in Bruno's house/apartment thing.[/spoiler]Jeff Clark and Amanda Harris tie in second place behind Sabrina, for while Sabrina's the epitome of boredom, they're both highly obnoxious.

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
Re: Characters who tempt you to fast-forward
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:49:14 AM »
 I know what you mean but thats part of the whole Dark Shadows charm. As lame as some parts of the show tend to be I love every episode.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:20:08 AM »
Oh I have been very tempted in the past to fast forward through parts, but as of yet have not yielded to temptation.  Usually it's not a certain actor, but a storyline or some dialogue that just draaaaaaaaaaaags and is painful to watch. The latter half of the Adam storyline was just PAINFUL to watch in my opinion, as was Vicki's witchcraft trial, and that's only for the way she and her "lawyer" handled it.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:37:36 AM »
I know what you mean but thats part of the whole Dark Shadows charm. As lame as some parts of the show tend to be I love every episode.

I think that's how I feel.  While there are some storylines or characters that I sort of feel "ick" when I think about them, when I'm actually watching, it's still woven into the overall story well enough that I get caught up in all parts and want to see what's happening.  I might not enjoy those parts as much, but wouldn't skip them.  And, before I knew what was going to happen, I was still caught up in those parts and wanted to see what would develop.
Josette

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 01:02:05 PM »
I for one am not ashamed to say 'yes, I've skipped parts' of DS because one or two characters was just BORING.

Take Peter/Jeff/Dirk.  He's always fixing his hair and anybody else's in that scene.  And he shouts.  Everybody knows your there.  We're not deaf.  So yeah, I have skipped over it....everytime it's on.

Then there's Hallie/Carrie.  It's like an hour to tell you hello.  Everytime she's on, I want red coals put in my eyes so as not to see her screw this scene up.

Coming in third is Sabrina Stuart.  I just think that Lisa Richards, who is a very nice person from what I've heard, is not the right person to play Sabrina.

And of course, there is Anthony George/Mitchell Ryan.  The person that these people played, well, the Collinsport people, headed by Roger, tar and feather Burke Devlin.  That would bring him down a notch or two.

I feel better now.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:15:59 PM »
The latter half of the Adam storyline was just PAINFUL to watch in my opinion, as was Vicki's witchcraft trial, and that's only for the way she and her "lawyer" handled it.

I agree wholeheartedly!  I will NEVER watch the 2nd half of the Adam/Eve plotline again.  Nor will I watch Vicki's trial again.  I will watch [spoiler]Quentin's and Desmond's trial once more just to make sure those DVD's are not defective or anything, then I will *probably* never watch that again either.[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:01:15 PM »
With almost any show that has a large cast, there's always a character or two (or more) that tempts me to fast forward. With DS, there's the occasional character and also the plotline. If a plotline is really good or I'm really interested in it, I can tolerate characters that I find irritating.

My FF picks:

Hallie Stokes and the summer 1970 plot. Sitting through some of those scenes with her and David was excrutiating. Never mind FF, I skipped some of those episodes entirely - and probably will never go back and watch them.

Phillip and Megan Todd at the Antique shop, and later Megan and Phillip with all the little Jebs. The temptation to FF was painfully strong.

Adam/Eve/Nicholas -  I'm not much of a fan of the Adam storyline, but I was never tempted to FF when characters like Barnabas, Carolyn, Elizabeth, Vicki or Roger were on screen. But the scenes with Adam and Nicholas, and Eve and Nicholas, and all three of them together - my finger was on the FF button, getting ready to make use of it.

Other characters that irritate me and make think of the FF button - Jeff/Dirk/Ned, Bruno, Roxanne, Sabrina and Amanda. But since Roxanne is often onscreen with Barnabas, FF-ing is just not possible. It's the same with Amanda (because of Quentin) and sometimes Jeff (because of Vicki). Unfortunately.  :P

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 06:21:52 PM »
I actually like the late Adam storyline; it's the early part I don't like.  I don't think I've seen early Adam for about two years, but I just finished watching the Adam/Eve/Nicholas stuff earlier this summer, and though it was pretty ludicrous in some spots, I enjoyed it.

Now, about these characters...I was watching PT this morning during brunch, and as soon as I heard Lisa Richards do the voiceover, I cringed and involuntarily moaned.  I cannot stand her Sabrina character.  I'm sure Lisa Richards is a nice lady in person and that she's done better acting in other roles, but here she's awful.  I try not to fast-forward, but she leaves me no choice.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »
Definite Dark Shadows "FF" (or, 78 RPM) Characters:

Modecai Grimes  (A man, who makes even Victor "Bloody" Meldrew of "One Foot In the Grave" fame, seem like Liberace or Ward Cleaver by comparison!)

Morgan Collins (Can anyone possibly be even MORE narcissistic than George Hamilton or  Fred "The Hammer" Williamson in this lifetime?  I think so!)

Jeb (or Jebess?) Hawks  (Ugh, please get me the Pepto-Bismol, quick!)

Samantha Collins (a woman, who gives even Madame DeFarge, a softer and more feminine image.)

Jeremy Grimes (The "pretty-boy" apple, doesn't fall far from the ogre-like and gnarled tree, does it?)

PT Quentin Collins (A man sorely in need of both anger management classes AND copious amounts of Prozac, in that order!)

Gabriel Collins and  Edith Collins  (What can I say, but they are the James Carville and Mary Matlin of Collinsport, Maine, circa 1840!)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 07:48:20 PM »
Definitely those ($(#@ING Leviathan kids, especially that brat Alexander.  If I were Paul Stoddard I'd have either thrown him off Widow's Hill or given him a one-way ticket to Joan Crawford's Manhattan apartment where Mommie Dearest herself would've taught the little sh*t a thing or two....

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 07:55:14 PM »
Charles, I take it you really didn't like Alexander.

Definitely those ($(#@ING Leviathan kids, especially that brat Alexander.  If I were Paul Stoddard I'd have either thrown him off Widow's Hill or given him a one-way ticket to Joan Crawford's Manhattan apartment where Mommie Dearest herself would've taught the little sh*t a thing or two....

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
Definite Dark Shadows "FF" (or, 78 RPM) Characters:

Morgan Collins (Can anyone possibly be even MORE narcissistic than George Hamilton or  Fred "The Hammer" Williamson in this lifetime?  I think so!)

Samantha Collins (a woman, who gives even Madame DeFarge, a softer and more feminine image.)

PT Quentin Collins (A man sorely in need of both anger management classes AND copious amounts of Prozac, in that order!)

Yep, I agree about these 3.  Morgan is such an a-hole!  I kept hoping Bramwell would roundly kick his ass for the shabby way he would treat Catherine, and right in front of him too!  This is why I love it when [spoiler]he goes flying off the roof of Collinwood at the end of 1841PT![/spoiler]

Samantha was like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Again, [spoiler]I cheered LOUDLY when she tumbled off Widow's Hill![/spoiler]

I've already said I hate 1970 PT Quentin, but I do like 1841PT Quentin very much, go figure.   ::)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 08:47:04 PM »
Peter Bradford and/or Jeff Clark, hands down.

It's way way WAY down the list for anyone else anywhere near as annoying.  Maybe Hallie and Carrie Stokes?

G.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 09:07:39 PM »
Watching an episode of DS is the last thing I do each day before going to sleep, so the boring storylines/characters aren't too much trouble for me, I actually kind of enjoy the sedative effect. It's the annoying characters (Harry Johnson :-X) that drive me up the wall and have me fighting the urge to FastForward.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »
I'm just wild about Harry! ;D  There's something about Craig Slocum's terror and nervousness as an actor that lends itself to the character so wonderfully!  I will agree that in one scene with Nicholas, he was, as Leonard Pinth-Garnell of SNL "Bad Theatre" fame would say, "deliciously bad."  For my money, however, the appearance of Sky Rumson ("ANN - JUHHH - LEEK!) was equally "delicious."

Petofi, who has to hand it to central casting.