Author Topic: A change of heart?  (Read 2689 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
A change of heart?
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:54:25 AM »
Is it possible?  :o Could it be that I find myself actually liking Amanda Harris?

I just hit the end of boxset 15 which contains among other things, the introduction of Amanda Harris. As I watched, I came to the sudden realization that I liked her character here! Putting her up against Trask is just absolutely fun to watch. I'm not sure how much my feelings will change after the writers suddenly decide to throw she and Quentin together... I mean there's interest from his behalf right off the bat, but we never see any pursual (that I recall) and suddenly they're madly in love with each other after Sept. 10th.

It's actually a bit disconcerting watching the episodes on DVD, as I remember these events unfolding slowly as I watched them on SciFi, but here I can watch a months worth of episodes in about 3-4 days.

I happened to be watching/working on the computer (work related crap) when my Mom came upstairs for a minute, she got sucked into the episodes I was watching and sat down for a few. We both had to laugh hysterically at Thayer David's inability to decide where his hands should be as the comatose Count Petofi. And not just in one scene! I had to laugh because as much as I love Thayer, all he had to do in this episode is lie on a table and he couldn't stop moving.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: A change of heart?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:58:07 AM »
I also wanted to add though, that I find that Quentin's theme gets quite annoying after you hear it for the 40th time in as many episodes.

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 06:22:25 AM »
Thayer had the same trouble with his hands in House of Dark Shadows
when he was suppost to be dead. LOL

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »
DC wouldn't even reshoot scenes for a film?
Well, they still all had to get back to work on the TV show, too.  It's not as if they really had the time needed.

Amanda isn't a compelling character, but we definitely are on her side as she rolls her eyes at Trask's obvious weaselishness.     She acts a little too much... she could take it down a step or so, as if I'd know, but she seems to overenunciate, or say things slightly too intensely, sort of like M Stroka.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:15:08 AM »
It's actually a bit disconcerting watching the episodes on DVD, as I remember these events unfolding slowly as I watched them on SciFi, but here I can watch a months worth of episodes in about 3-4 days.

Yikes!  :o You're over-indulging!

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 03:21:48 AM »
I do the same thing. Once I start watching it's hard to stop. :)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 05:17:45 AM »
I do the same thing. Once I start watching it's hard to stop. :)

Especially if it's a good storyline! :D There have been sets where I've watched two discs in a day.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 06:47:57 AM »
Especially if it's a good storyline! :D There have been sets where I've watched two discs in a day.

Uh, yah, like when I was watching pre-Barnabas and Leviathan!  Couldn't get enough.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
no soori arashi i still run from the room when she is on
the screen :o

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:11:13 AM »
Is it possible?  :o Could it be that I find myself actually liking Amanda Harris?

I just hit the end of boxset 15 which contains among other things, the introduction of Amanda Harris. As I watched, I came to the sudden realization that I liked her character here! Putting her up against Trask is just absolutely fun to watch. I'm not sure how much my feelings will change after the writers suddenly decide to throw she and Quentin together... I mean there's interest from his behalf right off the bat, but we never see any pursual (that I recall) and suddenly they're madly in love with each other after Sept. 10th.

I'm coming in on this one late because I had to think about it a bit.  I make no bones about not liking the character due to the poor development of both the character and the deux ex machina nature of Quentin's "once in a lifetime love" for her.

In thinking, I believe the problem is that in these early episodes, the character did some interesting things.  She wasn't one dimensional yet. The feeling I get is that somewhere along the line when they decided to make her CDT's (and by extension every male in sight's) ideal woman, they didn't know how to put that across.  So, we get the wonderful perfect character that all the men adore. [Rant_Emote].  As I said in another topic, in fanfiction people would scream MARY SUE.

Interesting thing is when she becomes Miss Wonderful and Quentin falls in love, one of the reasons it doesn't work for me is that she  is NOT consistant with the type of woman we saw him with before and since.  Jenny (from what little we see of the SANE Jenny), Laura, Beth (before they stole her backbone) and Pansy/Charity are all relatively strong women -- especially for the era -- who stand up to Quentin and have minds and opinions of their own.  Angelique also fits this, as he was very attracted to her before she started trying to play him.

But Amanda?  She is a helpless damsel in distress, more like one of Barnabas' SYTs than one of Quentin's previous women.  As a matter of fact I have a running joke with friends that there was a typo in the script and she WAS supposed to be for Barnabas, not Quentin.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:15:22 AM »
Don't know if I have ever mentioned it before, but I loathe Amanda Harris.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »

Really?   [laughing1]

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:58 AM »
I wonder if some peoples' intense dislike of Amanda Harris is not so much the superficial sluttiness of the character, but the fact that Quentin is "in love" with her.  Up to this point in the storyline we've seen Quentin slowly growing and maturing as a person, then all of a sudden he's in love with Amanda -- makes him look like an idiot.
People don't seem to mind her relationship with Tim Shaw.  They're both scheming opportunists and fit each other a little better.

And speaking of idiots, I can't see why Amanda is any more annoying than Rachel Drummond.  The Innocent Babe Lost In The Woods - "Oh Dear, I Don't Understand" stuff, and then nosing around in everyone else's business, is a bit more than I can stomach at times.

[wave]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
Really?   [laughing1]

Yeah, really!  ;)  What did she used to call her in #Collinwood Midnite?  AFH?!  LOL!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 08:05:44 PM »
too bad amanda couldnt have seanced herself back to 1967 collinwood...man would buzz have tamed that attitude of hers bigtime with a ride on his harley....it was a harley wasnt it.....
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.