Author Topic: Blooper Poll  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Blooper Poll
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2002, 09:41:36 AM »
Good Topic prof. Stokes!

One of my favorites was during the ending credits and Professor Stokes comes walking right out in full view, then sees the camera rolling and steps back again.

SPOILER.......SPOILER........SPOILER........SPOILER...........
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

A favorite verbal blooper of mine was during the Adam storyline and the dream curse. Julia & Willie found Barnabas lying on the ground outside the old house and presumed he was dead. Julia then remarks to Willie about needing his help to carry Barnabas out of there. Willie. after a pause, says, "ok, Julia,"  then after a much longer pause, says,"ok, Julia, I'll do whatever you tell me to do."

A good funny one was during the Leviatan storyline when the sheriff comes calling on the Todds. Jeb answers the door, and that annoying bell they had up there on the door, comes crashing down to the floor. It amazes me how the actors managed to keep their wits about them and not crack up from laughing. I give them credit for that!

I also recall one when Cassandra was trying to hypnotize Tony Peterson with a cigarette lighter. The only problem was is that the lighter's flame kept going out.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2002, 05:36:33 PM »
Bathia did have the most obvious one - maybe due to hearing problems.   I agree she really did well though other than that...perfect look for the part!  

Other memorable DS boo boos...

During the credits a daring "ledge walking" stage hand creeps by the window (the one near the door) of Josette's room.  

JF's famous exit from the door below the stairs at Collinwood in street clothes with his costume hung over his arm . (Which I did not catch the last time around - did they cut this out?)

David Selby backs hard into a half open door in one of the upstairs bedrooms.

Really LOVE the incestor thing too!

I certainly don't hold it against them...under those tight conditions I can't even imagine what kinds of things I might do!  

Wouldn't it be fun to know some of the things they actually HAD to stop tape for?
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline MikeS

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2002, 11:50:48 PM »
Two of my favorites:

S

P

O

I

E

R

S

A dying Dr. Lang records a message for Julia regarding the Adam/Barnabas experiment-after turning off the tape recorder!

In 1995, a very dead Mrs. Johnson is seen blinking her eyes!

Great topic, ProfStokes!

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2002, 11:56:55 PM »
now to a subject i find great  ;D...ok  for physical goofs, my handle, tripwire, came from the scene which madam finley has discovered  quentins room, and obviously trips badly on the wire that was meant to slam the door shut...she looks back down at it in an angry expression....too much.....there is also that scene where barnabas is talking with vickie about the music box, and how its affecting her, when all of a sudden the crew decides to build another set....lol ....oh me.....they played the scene well however.willie coming out of the secret room and cracking his head, had to have hurt...the light blowing out as king johnny and magda prepare to enter the secret room....so many.its like asking what your favorite beatle song is.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2002, 03:19:00 AM »
My favorite one on the blooper tape is in the very early episodes, where Liz is talking to Mrs. Johnson about Vicki's bus. The wheels on the camera (presumably) squeal loudly on the floor, twice - so much so that Joan Bennett is startled and stops for a moment, looking off stage for a cue as to whether or not to continue. She does.

Two of my favorites NOT on the blooper tape involve Alexandra Moltke cracking up. In another early episode, Victoria is having a conversation with Roger in the drawing room. Edmonds flubs his line very badly, and as they cut to a close-up of Moltke, you can see a smile creeping across her face - which she quickly tries to hide, contorting her mouth into a grimace. The camera cuts away quickly.

In a similar scene in another early episode, Victoria and Roger are again talking in the drawing room and Elizabeth enters through the front door. She goes to set her coat down on the long table in the foyer but she misses and the coat falls to the floor. Vicki turns towards the camera to walk into the drawing room and as she does so we can see that same smile spreading across her face. They cut to a wide shot of the drawing room where Vicki seats herself on the sofa. She is obviously trying not to let the camera see her face, which she keeps hidden with her hand. They cut quickly to close-ups of Roger and Elizabeth as Moltke regains her composure.

I wish they had included these scenes on the bloopers tape. I got a big kick out of watching them when the eps aired on Sci Fi. I guess Moltke was given to fits of giggles now and then. During an interview, she once spoke of another fit of laughter that resulted in them stopping and re-taping the scene.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2002, 03:22:27 AM »

Wouldn't it be fun to know some of the things they actually HAD to stop tape for?

Two things I know of:

An early scene with Alexandra Moltke and two male actors, whom she declined to name, that had apparently come into work after a night of partying and expected to "wing it" off the teleprompter. Everything was fine until they started reading each other's lines instead of their own. Moltke stopped the scene and refused to go on.

Another instance both Kate Jackson and Lara Parker have spoken of during the 1841 PT story line involved the two breaking into a fit of laughter over the name "Ezra." I've seen the episode in question and no hint of a smile is evident, so they must have re-taped this one.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2002, 04:33:13 AM »

S

P

O

I

E

R

S

A dying Dr. Lang records a message for Julia regarding the Adam/Barnabas experiment-after turning off the tape recorder!

In 1995, a very dead Mrs. Johnson is seen blinking her eyes!

Yes, two classics!  In an earlier thread asking for titles of books written by various DS characters, I suggested that Dr. Lang might have written Tape Recording for Dummies.

As for Mrs. J, it is unfortunate that although the great Clarice Blackburn had remained dead and unblinking for at least a minute or more in that scene, it was only later that they put her in a close-up -- by now the worst possible moment, when she probably couldn't refrain from blinking any longer.  

Ben

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2002, 05:16:44 AM »
One of my favorites, which should have been on MPI's "Bloopers" tape, is the scene in which a man (I forget who and during what storyline) comes to Collinwood to see Barnabas.  Mrs. Johnson answers the door and says, "Can I help you?" or something along those lines.  The man replies, "Yes, I'm here to see Mr. Jonathan."

Along with that blooper is my favorite recovery, by Clarice Blackburn, who is visibly shaken by the other actor's mistake, yet manages to get the scene back on track.

Favorite physical blooper:  Quentin taking a sword off the wall and smashing a lamp in the process.  How the actors in that scene kept it together without laughing, I'll never know.

Regards,

John

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2002, 12:14:27 AM »
Hi John!

One of my favorite "bloopers" is a very subtle one.  It's in Humbert Allen Astredo's first scene as Nicholas Blair opposite Alexandra Moltke as Vicki.  As he's saying goodbye to her, he has a line that comes out something like, "Very pleased to meet you Miss Molt ... er, Miss Winters!"  If you're not very attentive, you'd miss the flub altogether, because he covers it with one of his most deliciously courtly smile.

Then there's this scene again involving Humbert, though the blooper was not at all his fault.  When, as Evan Hanley, he was dismissing the "shade" of Minerva Trask (a simulacrum created through one of Evan's few workable spells--quite a clever one, actually), the director had failed to realize that Jerry Lacey, Joan Bennett, and Clarice Blackburn would need to dash ACROSS the camera on the very set where Humbert was reciting his incantation.  I swear you can hear Jerry muttering "Jesus!" as he and the two ladies scamper madly across that set!

So many more I could mention... this morning I was watching an episode towards the end of the 1897 storyline where it was one of those days where EVERYTHING seemed to be going wrong.  Only the magisterial Thayer David kept his cool.  What a gent he was.

On the MPI blooper reel, my absolute favorite moment is the bit of footage that miraculously survived from the one time when they were supposed to have stopped tape and the camera kept running.  You hear the director (maybe H. Kaplan?) yell "cut!" and Grayson Hall just glares at him and says: "WHY?" No question who was in charge on set that day!

Gothick

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2002, 02:48:43 AM »
Please tell me if I dreamed this one... but I seem to remember a scene where someone walked out of the upstairs door into the foyer toward the stairs and someone (probably the director) screams out, "Do it again!"

The actor then turns around, closes the door behind him and starts the scene again.  I know I have seen this twice, but I can't remember the details.

deron ?!?

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2002, 03:16:13 AM »
Please tell me if I dreamed this one... but I seem to remember a scene where someone walked out of the upstairs door into the foyer toward the stairs and someone (probably the director) screams out, "Do it again!"

The actor then turns around, closes the door behind him and starts the scene again.  I know I have seen this twice, but I can't remember the details.

deron ?!?

That was Anthony George as Burke Devlin. He enters the upstairs hallway at the top of the stairs through the door there as the scene begins, and you can hear the director (or someone) yell "Do it again, Burke," and he turns around, goes back through the door, then comes back out again! This was shortly before they killed off Burke in the plane crash.

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2002, 10:02:40 AM »
LMAO.....I love this thread......my fav is:

"But tell them that you saw no one here!"
"Oh, that's fine...what am I gonna tell them?"
"...THAT YOU SAW NO ONE HERE!"

OMG!! that's like the funniest thing I've ever heard. Who says it, tho? I think one is Peter, but I'm not sure  :-/ But that's my fav blooper :D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2002, 01:20:45 PM »
No one mentioned two physical bloopers by Chris Pennock's Character John Yaeger in 1970PT as follows:

1.   Yaeger has difficulty hanging a painting over a safe in the wall.
    2.  Yaeger's cane falls appart and he has trouble putting it together (knife part falls out).

Another recent physical one ( in 1795) was seeing a crew member in one corner of the mausoleum when Barnabas confronts Angelique.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2002, 11:02:20 PM »
LMAO.....I love this thread......my fav is:

"But tell them that you saw no one here!"
"Oh, that's fine...what am I gonna tell them?"
"...THAT YOU SAW NO ONE HERE!"

OMG!! that's like the funniest thing I've ever heard. Who says it, tho? I think one is Peter, but I'm not sure  :-/ But that's my fav blooper :D

Daphne, that was Roger Davis playing the part of Dirk Wilkins, during the 1897 storyline. That was a good one! :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2002, 05:32:56 AM »
Daphne, that was Roger Davis playing the part of Dirk Wilkins, during the 1897 storyline. That was a good one!  

LOL well I had the voice right anyway! Kinda scary when you know a show so well you can tell who the ppl are just by their voices......*blissful sigh* Ah, obsession....:D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^