Author Topic: Blooper Poll  (Read 3929 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Blooper Poll
« on: April 22, 2002, 09:47:57 PM »
In honor of today's classic first episode, I thought that it would be fun if we shared our favorite bloopers.  They don't necessarily have to be restricted to the blooper tape. Here are the categories:

Best Verbal Blooper (e.g. flubbed lines, name calling, etc.)
Bathia Mapes: "......("Go to the house of the curse")"
Honorable Mention--Roger Collins: "Several of my incestors are buried here."

Best Physical Blooper (e.g. falling sets, intrusive stagehands, camera equipment, flies, etc.)
Tie: Barnabas picks his nose/John Yeager tries to re-hang the portrait
Honorable Mention: Charles Tate's falling window shade

Best Recovery--Louis Edmonds: "The car rolled a hundred miles down the road--a hundred miles...it seemed like a hundred miles--a hundred feet down the road.

I've started this topic in the spirit of fun and don't intend for it to be a means of abusing the actors and actresses, for whom I have great respect.  They created this enduring and memorable show under very trying circumstances, and probably couldn't help most of what happened to them.  I hope that others will see it that way.

ProfStokes

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Blooper Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 10:58:55 PM »
In honor of today's classic first episode, I thought that it would be fun if we shared our favorite bloopers.  They don't necessarily have to be restricted to the blooper tape. Here are the categories:

Best Verbal Blooper (e.g. flubbed lines, name calling, etc.)
Bathia Mapes: "......("Go to the house of the curse")"
Honorable Mention--Roger Collins: "Several of my incestors are buried here."

Best Physical Blooper (e.g. falling sets, intrusive stagehands, camera equipment, flies, etc.)
Tie: Barnabas picks his nose/John Yeager tries to re-hang the portrait
Honorable Mention: Charles Tate's falling window shade

Best Recovery--Louis Edmonds: "The car rolled a hundred miles down the road--a hundred miles...it seemed like a hundred miles--a hundred feet down the road.

I've started this topic in the spirit of fun and don't intend for it to be a means of abusing the actors and actresses, for whom I have great respect.  They created this enduring and memorable show under very trying circumstances, and probably couldn't help most of what happened to them.  I hope that others will see it that way.

ProfStokes

actually my Blooper tape is one of my favorites It is great to see how a lot of the actors recovered themselves. Today you see so many bloopers at the end of shows that i swear they make them up on purpose (Home improvement)these actors know it will be redone but the actors of the 60s had to put up with it!
love Willie when he is bricking up the wall and says
it gives him the willies! :o
also the famous fly that tried to steal the show!
Quentin knocking down the sword!

jennifer
thanks Prof S for a great topic!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2002, 12:26:13 AM »
Incestors, by Roger Collins, has always been my favorite.

I also love the falling tombstones, giant trees that wobble and Quentin taking the sword from the wall and crashing a lamp all over the floor.  You could hear it being swept up behind the scenes as the dialogue went on!

Love, Robin

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2002, 02:11:04 AM »
I'll mention one Linda has called to my attention.

Nicholas is performing some sort of Black Mass/incantation to darkness, etc.  Very into it.  A stage hand is seen running right in front, trying to stay out of frame.  If that's not enough, the stage hand realizes that he is in camera and mutters "Jesus!" quite audibly.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline The charming Mr. Blair

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2002, 03:24:57 AM »
I really liked today in the first episode when some male voice yelled out the lines "Go to the old House" that Bathia Mapes was supposed to say. It was strange she was staning next to the coffin in a daze and the voice called out the line for her. She then repeated them.
I played it over several times. Somehow the intensity was not lost.
I must go. However, I shalln't be long.
 Good day everyone!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2002, 03:37:20 AM »
So many to choose from .. .candles not blowing out. . Frid scratching his nose and Hall looking on oblivious to what her co-star is doing. . I also like the Julia walking into the foggy room, a door flies open and you see the frozen ice bucket.  Hall looks, says to herself. .'just keep goin" and does. . .funny!
Julia99

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2002, 04:51:11 AM »
I particularly like the sight (and sound) of 1840 Quentin Collins' head hitting the top of the doorway in the foyer of Collinwood.

Also, look at the pained expression on Lamar Trask's (Jerry Lacy) face as he courageously and vainly tries to suppress a big belly laugh at the sight of the tallest Collins making contact with the hard wood.  Ouch!!!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2002, 05:06:15 AM »
Carolyn and Julia are walking from the drawing room into the foyer. While Julia is talking to Carolyn, somebody moves in front of the camera and another man hurries through a door, and is still holding the door and peeking back in the room.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2002, 05:12:23 AM »
:D  My favorite is when the credits are rolling, and all at once, here come Jonathan Frid, carrying his sneakers and a pair of jeans.  He sees the camera or somebody yells at him to get out of the way, anyway, that my favorite Blooper.

Then I like Roger Collins telling Burke Devlins about his incestral family.

Not to be forgotten...Bathia.  She did a wonderful job remembering all her lines...except one.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2002, 05:28:53 AM »
Great idea, ProfStokes!

Favorite verbal blooper: there are many, but the one that comes to mind today is Barnabas in 1795 emphatically declaring to Rev. Trask and others that Vicki is "to be presumed innocent ... until proven innocent!"

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Favorite physical mishap: please allow me to set this one up.  In 1897, Evan Hanley (Humbert Allen Astredo) has subconsciously trained Tim Shaw (Don Briscoe), on a certain cue, to pour poisoned brandy into a snifter and force the designated unsuspecting victim to drink it.  At the end of an episode, Hanley "practiced" the cue with Shaw, with Hanley himself as the stand-in victim.  When Shaw put the snifter in Hanley's hand, Hanley attempted to un-cue him, and we end with a tight shot in which an alarmed Hanley struggles to keep the Shaw from pouring the glass down his lips.   Perfect!

The opening of the next episode repeats this scene.  Only problem is, in that final tight shot, one of the legs of the chair Hanley is sitting in apparently gives way (you can hear the sound of wood snapping off-camera).  The collapsing chair causes Hanley to suddenly drop about two inches, in turn causing the brandy (the snifter is right against his lips) to splash clumsily all over his face.  Hanley is looking even more horrified, but I think it's because he has to hold that pose, not knowing if the chair is going to give way completely before the scene ends.

This is not on the bloopers tape, so you might have to wait until it pops up on the 1897 storyline.   I always find this one a scream.

Ben

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2002, 05:37:29 AM »
My favorite verbal blooper:  The Collins Incestors by Roger Collins.

My favorite physical blooper:  The Falling Window by Charles Delaware Tate.

My favorite blooper recovery:  The Name of That Town in Brazil:  Belem by Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2002, 05:56:38 AM »
I can't remember the details of this one well enough to really state it, but I can describe it sufficiently, I'm sure, for someone to recognize it and fill in the blanks.

SPOILER for the story coming up fairly soon with Dr. Lang

Barnabas is outside a locked door (I think he's with Dr. Lang and Julia is inside, but not sure) and he has to tell her to remember something.  I think it's Dr. Woodard's name he needs.  He says "remember, remember someone" or something like that.  Then Dr. Lang supplies him with the name he needs, except that it's something that he could have no way of knowing.
Josette

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2002, 06:11:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure I heard this on todays ep.  Naomi is talking about Daniel but calls him David instead.  I'm surprised they didn't make more mistakes like that with all the time travel.

HobbiesDS 8)
HobbiesDS

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2002, 07:33:38 AM »
Calling any David Henesy character David is extremely common.  When I noticed it today, I was thinking of starting a count on that like the Roger Davis hair touch count.  I'm not sure if anyone did it before today, but it's the first I specifically recall this time around.
Josette

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2002, 07:34:57 AM »
Nicholas is performing some sort of Black Mass/incantation to darkness, etc.  Very into it.  A stage hand is seen running right in front, trying to stay out of frame.  If that's not enough, the stage hand realizes that he is in camera and mutters "Jesus!" quite audibly.

That was Evan Hanley, and ironically enough, he was conjuring the "spirit of darkness" at the time.  Watching the dark figure of the stage hand zip across the set, I like to think that Evan was successful.  ;)

ProfStokes