Author Topic: BEST BARNABAS BITE  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Diabolos

• await your judgement!
    • View Profile
BEST BARNABAS BITE
« on: May 27, 2006, 03:41:18 AM »
Hello Cousins,
Diabolos here. I know it says ronniemann but im a newbe and i am still trying to figure this thing out.Anyone out there have any best Barnabas bite scenes they want to talk about?
TONIGHT MUST GO NOTHING WRONG!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: BEST BARNABAS BITE
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 11:33:14 PM »
Offhand, my favorite is the one where [spoiler]Charity Trask comes to the Old House (in the 1897 storyline) and muses about how wonderful Barnabas made her feel when he gave her wine that tasted of apples and warmed her with his love (I'm paraphrasing).  He looks at her slowly and thoughtfully, then moves in for the bite.  It's a great scene.

Of course, probably the most horrifying of them all is Old Barnabas chowing down on Carolyn.  It's amazing to me that the network censors passed that--presumably because they weren't really previewing every episode and their minds were elsewhere.... 1967 having been a rather eventful year![/spoiler]

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:14:54 AM »
In the latter didn't BC make some smart remark about [spoiler]Carolyn being his own "flesh and blood"?  Best old age mask I've ever seen by the way.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »
i would also line up for a bite from Tom Jennings now those were the best"bites"
on the show to me should have kept him around longer >:D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 05:09:45 PM »
i agree...

[spoiler]that the first barnabas/carolyn bite was the most shocking in it's implications.she was his own "flesh and blood" and it made for a huge change in carolyn's personality.carolyn's scenes with julia during this period are among my all-time favorites.[/spoiler]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 10:03:19 PM »
I think I'm gonna agree w/Jonathan Frid here and say that Barny's best bite was his first because it was subtle.  The 'showing off of the fangs' was tiresome to watch and we know HE hated it too.  This is why I absolutely hate ALL of Don Briscoe's bites, they're just beyond ridiculous!   ::)

Why was this bite subtle?  For those of you new to fandom, he explained it this way.  He couldn't talk w/the fangs in, so before each bite he'd pull them out of his pocket and snap them in his mouth.  But this first time he put them in backwards, or upside down, and they got destroyed so he couldn't show them off and just went in quickly and did the deed.  ;)  Left a LOT to the viewers imagination, IMHO.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 12:15:53 AM »
Indeed, as a kid, I loved it when vampires bit or werewolves chewed and clawed, but the overt biting(mostly to stretch out the end-of-show cliffhangers) could not have been fun for Frid.  I  thought Lara Parker did a fair job on some of her bites - they didn't look as "staged," as many of Frid's later bites seemed to.  But for the all time craziest bite of all, it has to be Tom Jenning's "pulsating tongue" and "crossed eyes" Kabuki - bite!

Petofi

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 12:23:57 PM »
This is why I absolutely hate ALL of Don Briscoe's bites, they're just beyond ridiculous!   ::)

Ditto. Tom just made me laugh. I couldn't take him seriously. I thought he wasn't effective as a vampire.

I can understand why Frid felt the way he did about the biting. If I were filming a vampire scene, I would use a more subtle approach. Maybe sometimes see a glimpse of the fangs just as the vampire lowers his/her head to the victim's neck. No wide open mouths or showing off beforehand. Just a vampire doing what he/she needs to do.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 02:44:29 PM »
My favorite bite is the Barnabas/Charity one.  Without actually showing a bite, a great scene is the one where Barnabas opens the French doors to Maggie's bedroom and walks over and looks down at her.  Another cool one is when Barnabas is in Vicki's room and she walks over to him when she's wearing the yellow nightgown. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline millicent

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 02:12:11 AM »
i would also line up for a bite from Tom Jennings now those were the best"bites"
on the show to me should have kept him around longer

Oh, yes. I agree. I remember being jealous of Julia Hoffman being his victim. lol. Too bad he didn't bite more folks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 05:36:38 PM »
Too bad BC missed the era of medical leeches.  He could have offered his services, set up shop in the middle of town...  Family Bloodletter, walk-ins welcome, sliding scale....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 06:10:10 PM »
on the show to me should have kept him around longer

Oh, yes. I agree. I remember being jealous of Julia Hoffman being his victim. lol. Too bad he didn't bite more folks.

Admit it. It wasn't the bite - It was the throbbing tongue! ;D

Petofi

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 02:58:23 PM »
I loved the "hickeys" Barnabas [spoiler]gave to Charity.[/spoiler] She was a such a self-righteous (but then what else do you expect from a Trask) prissy before Barnabas came along.[/spoiler]

Of course she still retained that self-righteous. I didn't like Charity all that much before [spoiler]Petofi possessed her with Pansy Faye.[/spoiler] She chased after Quentin, a guy who would have loved to have had her in the bed but once he did would have had no use for her. She constantly belittled [spoiler]poor Jamison and Nora at the school[/spoiler]. She came down hard on [spoiler]Tim who was used by her "righeous father" and Evan Hanley to kill her mother.[/spoiler] The normal Charity, many a time I always thought could have used a big, nice smack in the face for being such a snob.

However once [spoiler]she turned into Pansy Faye[/spoiler] and let her hair down, ironically she became a more likable person [spoiler]though she did try to kill Beth and staked Barnabas (or rather his doppelganger).[/spoiler]

Guess I strayed too much from the original subject. I'll also add that Barnabas attacking [spoiler]Carolyn[/spoiler] was truly frightening.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 06:33:48 PM »
Yeah, Frid's bites did look staged.  He complained at the fests that the directors wanted him to show off the fangs and the bites were done more like slow motion so that could be accomplished.  Silly.

Nancy

Indeed, as a kid, I loved it when vampires bit or werewolves chewed and clawed, but the overt biting(mostly to stretch out the end-of-show cliffhangers) could not have been fun for Frid.  I  thought Lara Parker did a fair job on some of her bites - they didn't look as "staged," as many of Frid's later bites seemed to.  But for the all time craziest bite of all, it has to be Tom Jenning's "pulsating tongue" and "crossed eyes" Kabuki - bite!