Author Topic: The Divine Ms. M.  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
The Divine Ms. M.
« on: April 22, 2002, 06:44:52 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

As far as I'm concerned, the selection of Miss America came five months early.  The great Bathia Mapes, as portrayed by the wonderful Anita Bolster, has become a Dark Shadows icon.

Ms. Bolster was an accomplished film actress before her all-too-brief appearance on Dark Shadows.  Who could ever forget her role as the elegant lady at the dinner party in the occult classic, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?

Of course, Ms. Bolster was one of the great Alfred Hitchcock's favorite character actresses.  I just loved her role as the bearded circus lady in the renowned British director's film, "Saboteur."

A note on the character of Bathia Mapes.  The good witch's "departure" from the Old House may have been the first known case of spontaneous human combustion.  Perhaps, Tim White, the eloquent host of "Sighting," might want to host an upcoming segment on Ms. Mapes' "unique" exit from Dark Shadows.

By the way, do you think that the ultra-suave Mr. White really believes all of those tales of poltergeists, psychics, and alien abductions?

Bob the Bartender, who reminds you that no mind is closed to an open mystery.  

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Re: The Divine Ms. M.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 06:49:05 PM »
I thought she went up in flames because she forgot her lines in the Tower Room and a stagehand had to yell them out to her!

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 07:05:59 PM »
Dear Blue Whale Barfly,

Always remember those immortal words, "Then go to the house of the curse!!!"

Bob the Bartender, who says we all can have a "senior" moment once in a while.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2002, 07:06:17 PM »
I think Bathia Mapes/Anita Bolster was brilliant character casting.  She couldn't have been more perfect if they'd flown her down from Salem on her broom!

MB....I think we need a smiley with a witches hat...and I'm still waiting on one that swoons and faints....I'm going to need it when Mr. Loomis returns!!  ;D

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2002, 11:44:43 PM »
Your right Bob.   I try to always agree with my bartender.  

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2002, 12:08:05 AM »
Poor woman must have gotten nervous, I guess, but she was one of the funniest of DS bloopers--unfortunately during a particularly dramatic part of the storyline, which kind of ruined it.  This was supposed to be serious stuff--poor, desperate Joshus bringing in one witch to undo the evil of another--but it was rendered almost comic relief.

Who'd have thunk Angelique would be so powerful in death, able to turn a woman into ashes?  I felt so sorry for Joshua, who had such high hopes for this!

Love, Robin  

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2002, 01:50:52 AM »

Who'd have thunk Angelique would be so powerful in death, able to turn a woman into ashes?  I felt so sorry for Joshua, who had such high hopes for this!

Love, Robin  

Was she REALLY dead?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2002, 03:37:14 AM »
Who could ever forget her role as the elegant lady at the dinner party in the occult classic, "The Picture of Dorian Gray"?

Actually, I think you're referring to Moyna MacGill, who was Angela Lansbury's mother.  She was the "elegant lady" at the dinner party in "Gray."  Another notable appearance was in "Unsinkable Molly Brown," once again as an elegant lady, and this time looking very much like her daughter does today.

Anita Bolster did have a small roll in "Scarlet Street," with Joan Bennett, FYI.

Brian

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2002, 04:42:13 AM »
Brian,

I believe that in "The Picture of Dorian Gray," Anita Bolster was the refined woman sitting at the dinner party, whom actor George Sanders pays a compliment to her "unique" beauty.

Bob the Bartender, who still believes that Anita Bolster also appeared in Robert Wise's sci-fi classic, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" Gort Barrada, Nektu!!!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2002, 04:50:15 AM »

While feeling sorry for Joshua (and Barnabas), I particularly felt sorry for Bathia, who had warned him that it could mean her life and originally refused to do it.  She went ahead with Joshua's assurance that no one would disturb her concentration.  And then there had to be all of the coincidences with Melanie leading Naomi to go there at that moment.  Even Nathan had tried to talk her out of it.  It appeared to be working and then she had to show up!

I forgot from the last time, when they finally said her name, I always think of it in my mind as "BUH thee uh," but Joshua said "buh Thigh uh."
Josette

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2002, 04:13:12 AM »
Bob,

Are you referring to "Lady Narborough?"  She looks somewhat like Ms. Bolster (the nose, I guess), and could in fact be her.  (I find no credit at IMBD for that character.)

Brian

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2002, 05:19:41 AM »
Brian,

I guess that Lady Narborough is, in fact, the great Anita Bolster.  However, I think that a more descriptive name for her might have been Lady Proboscis.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who lives by Max Klinger's philosophy of life: "The nose knows!"