Author Topic: Failure Of Aquaman Pilot Dredges Up The Situation With The 2004 DS Pilot  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Whoa!  I wasn't asking what the terms of the man's will were, I never even mentioned DC!

My reply wasn't directed toward you - or even to anyone in particular. I'm sorry if you interpreted it that way. It was merely a general statement.  :)

There are a lot of rumors out there folks, I'm just trying to find out if this was fact or fiction!

DCP closed its office months ago. Everyone can trust that that's a fact. How it came to be known is actually insignificant.  ;)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I don't believe there is an X-File here. lol

However, I think there are some cousins like me who just want to be assured that there is a mechanism in place where if a network was interested in a new DS series that there is someone with decision making authority who can respond to that call. I think there is some confusion with the fact that DCP has closed its doors. Does that mean that spells the end to any future DS project? I don't think it is an insignificant question. I certainly did not imply I am asking for the names of the corporate officers who are in a position to speak for the DC's interests.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
there is a mechanism in place where if a network was interested in a new DS series that there is someone with decision making authority who can respond to that call. ... I don't think it is an insignificant question.

And I didn't mean to imply that's an insignificant question - only that how it was discovered that the DCP office is closed wasn't really significant. The only thing that's significant there is that the office is indeed closed.  :)

As for there being someone in authority who could respond to any interest in a new DS project, all we need do is simply ask ourselves how likely it is that DC wouldn't have planned for that upon his death.  ;)

Offline Fletcher

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
All corporations have a Board and no corporations are totally dependent on the life or death of one individual -- that's one of the many purposes of incorporating.  And as a couple of folks have mentioned, just because the office is closed, doesn't mean the corporation was disolved.  In fact, it is very unlikely that the corporation would have or could have been disolved that quickly.

So we could assume that the rights to DS remain just where they have always been -- with DCP.  Even if DCP disolves, the rights to DS will almost certainly be transferred or purchased by another entity.  In the entertainment business -- rights to entertainment material tend to float around to various corporations for decades.  Should the holdings of DCP become part of Mr. Curtis's estate, then his heirs would be the "owners" of DS, but they could sell the rights (for limited amounts of time) to production companies interested in reviving the series. 

I feel pretty sure the rights to DS will remain available for purchase (or lease -- is that the right word?).  Time will tell.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
First of all, thank you MB for reassuring us that the rights to DS are being taken care of.  Like BuzzH, I wasn't trying to nose into DC's will, I just wanted to clear up some confusion.

I'm sure it's not a case that anyone is trying to keep anything a secret. After all, what would be the point? :-

Now there's a question I've wondered many times!  LOL!  For example, what was the point of Jim Pierson telling us that there would be no more Fests and then changing his mind?  What was the point of him showing the Sciography video at the 2002 Fest banquet and then spending the rest of the evening making the rounds to the fans gathered in the lobby to try to do damage control?  What is the point of the smokescreen non-answers given as policy to some of the questions asked during the fan panels?  Sorry, MB, I don't mean to direct this at you, I'm just asking these questions rhetorically.  I think it's hard for us fans not to ask questions and wonder what is going on when we've been given the runaround about so many things before by people in charge at the Fests.  So I just wanted to explain that I think this is why we're all so curious and impatient to find out what's going on with the rights to DS.  But thank you again for addressing the issue and trying to answer to the best of your abiltiy.  I'll be eagerly waiting and hoping for an announcement at the Fest. :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I honestly thought I had read that Dan Curtis' involvement with the Warner Bros series project was at best honorific.  But then, I've never gotten clear just who owns what in the DS 'verse.  To really understand it, I'd have to know more about "the Industry" than my stomach can handle.

cheers, Gothick

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I was looking at the announcement subsequent to Dan's passing concerning the BigFish upcoming Audio Dramas on CDs, and it reflects Jim Pierson as the Executive Producer for Dan Curtis Productions. Perhaps there are legal concerns preventing people from posting here. But still our question concerning who is in control of the DS franchise is a very legitimate one.

With the announcement about new DS audio dramas being produced, clearly that's a statement that DS continues to find additional ways to live on.  So there really doesn't seem to be any question about the state of the franchise just because its creator is gone.  

As to why some formal announcement hasn't been made about who is in charge of what now, I personally don't see that implying there is anything up in the air behind the scenes or even secretive: could be those in the know simply don't see why it is of any concern for fans to know the particulars or what does it matter to anyone outside of the business interests?  Fans are usually asked to support projects, not companies or business arrangements.  

It doesn't make any sense to think that simply because the series creator died that nothing was ever put into place before his passing to handle the DS franchise down the road as, sooner or later, Dan Curtis was going to pass away.  Frankly, I think the DS franchise might grow more now without Mr. Curtis' overprotectiveness.  No disrespect intended, but that's how I personally see it.

Nancy  

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I was looking at the announcement subsequent to Dan's passing concerning the BigFish upcoming Audio Dramas on CDs, and it reflects Jim Pierson as the Executive Producer for Dan Curtis Productions. Perhaps there are legal concerns preventing people from posting here. But still our question concerning who is in control of the DS franchise is a very legitimate one.

With the announcement about new DS audio dramas being produced, clearly that's a statement that DS continues to find additional ways to live on.  So there really doesn't seem to be any question about the state of the franchise just because its creator is gone.

As to why some formal announcement hasn't been made about who is in charge of what now, I personally don't see that implying there is anything up in the air behind the scenes or even secretive: could be those in the know simply don't see why it is of any concern for fans to know the particulars or what does it matter to anyone outside of the business interests?  Fans are usually asked to support projects, not companies or business arrangements.

It doesn't make any sense to think that simply because the series creator died that nothing was ever put into place before his passing to handle the DS franchise down the road as, sooner or later, Dan Curtis was going to pass away.  Frankly, I think the DS franchise might grow more now without Mr. Curtis' overprotectiveness.  No disrespect intended, but that's how I personally see it.

I think people here should be encouraged to ask questions about the future of the DS franchise. It's a discussion board and fans should be concerned when we are told conflicted information. For example, we were told that DCP had closed its door and all that remains is its voicemail capability. Then subsequently we are informed that DCP continues with Pierson as its Executive Producer. I am glad there are some cousins here who have also raised their concerns about DS' future and its leadership. We should not be silenced because others here don't appreciate these type of hard inquiries. In any event these discussions have lead to the realization that the franchise lives and that there is hope for future DS projects.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can assure everyone that no one here is trying to stifle questions being asked about the future of the DS franchise. What should be apparent to everyone is that, with the upcoming release of the DS Reborn CDs, it's thriving. And there's no conflicting info about DCP. It has closed its office. All calls are directed to voicemail. But obviously there would have to be someone to pick up the voicemail.  ;)  And anyone in the past few months who has read the press release for the DS Reborn CDs or checked out their Web site knows that Jim Pierson is the executive producer for the project. That should come as no surprise to anyone as Pierson has been the producer/executive producer on numerous DS projects.  :)

My only point is that, as fans, we don't have the right to demand to be updated about anything having to do with DS or DCP or their future. Some fans did seem to think that we had the right to expect nearly daily updates on the progress of the WB pilot, and we don't honestly have the right to ever expect that sort of thing. I firmly believe that TPTB will always tell us what we need to know. However, they'll do so when they think we need to know it. Sure, we can be curious, and we can wonder and speculate, but we shouldn't get ourselves worked up if TPTB aren't keeping us abreast of things as quickly as we might think they should be. That's all I've been saying.  :)  And I'm sorry if it came across to anyone as otherwise...

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
If I may speculate my 2 cents worth, I tend to think the closing of Dan Curtis Productions many have been simply the closing of actual Dan supervised productions, such as films which he  actually produced and or directed or Dan himself was actively involved in.   [director] I would think holding the "rights" to past productions and characters, also known as intellectual property would still be active even if a division that did worked with new productions was closed. So, yes, Jim P is still the "go-to" man   [deal2] if you want to license DS for toys, jigsaw puzzles, radio dramas, get clips for a film or documentary, etc. Anyway, that's how I interpret it.
      Consider, if we live long enough, or are undead long enough,   [_Vampire_] we could possibly see Dark Shadows pass into the public domain, the way say Dracula   [vampire] and Sherlock Holmes have. From what I understand, the way around this is to "Trademark" a character rather than just copyrighting it. This is what the Burroughs estate did with "Tarzan" (tm), and what I believe has been done with say Superman or Spider-Man. Some of you legal minds here may elaborate.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
If I may speculate my 2 cents worth, I tend to think the closing of Dan Curtis Productions many have been simply the closing of actual Dan supervised productions, such as films which he  actually produced and or directed or Dan himself was actively involved in.   [director] I would think holding the "rights" to past productions and characters, also known as intellectual property would still be active even if a division that did worked with new productions was closed. So, yes, Jim P is still the "go-to" man   [deal2] if you want to license DS for toys, jigsaw puzzles, radio dramas, get clips for a film or documentary, etc. Anyway, that's how I interpret it.
      Consider, if we live long enough, or are undead long enough,   [_Vampire_] we could possibly see Dark Shadows pass into the public domain, the way say Dracula   [vampire] and Sherlock Holmes have. From what I understand, the way around this is to "Trademark" a character rather than just copyrighting it. This is what the Burroughs estate did with "Tarzan" (tm), and what I believe has been done with say Superman or Spider-Man. Some of you legal minds here may elaborate.

I *love* this DEAL icon.     [deal2]  It's TOO funny!  ;)  I thought you were going to say we'd see DS in a totally different light, say, a 'DS IN SPACE' or something, LOL!  Can you imagine?  Barnabas and Julia in the 23rd century, going from planet to planet helping rid them of evil doers?   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm not one to attempt to silence anyone, Jim (and I couldn't anyway).  I don't see where some of these "hard" inquiries are anyone's business, that's all.  At no time in my memory was the business model for Dan Curtis Productions spelled out in any publication and so I don't see why anyone should expect that to be done now.  Dan Curtis was going to die sooner or later and it defies logic he would not have made provisions for that eventuality and what would happen to his intellectual properties, etc.  What he decided to do and entrust all that to isn't a pressing matter to anyone outside of those directly involvement, in my view.  It's like asking someone how much money he/she makes.  It's a personal business matter.

I could find out on my own what is going on with the franchise if I wanted to but I won't.  Why? It's not my business. There's no reason for me to be told.  My only business and concern is what future DS projects are going to be done and there has been no indication whatsoever the future of DS projects are going to be impeded by Mr. Curtis' passing. And that for that all DS fans can be grateful.

Nancy

I think people here should be encouraged to ask questions about the future of the DS franchise. It's a discussion board and fans should be concerned when we are told conflicted information. For example, we were told that DCP had closed its door and all that remains is its voicemail capability. Then subsequently we are informed that DCP continues with Pierson as its Executive Producer. I am glad there are some cousins here who have also raised their concerns about DS' future and its leadership. We should not be silenced because others here don't appreciate these type of hard inquiries. In any event these discussions have lead to the realization that the franchise lives and that there is hope for future DS projects.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Exactly my take on it too, Michael.  Also, Dan Curtis Productions was a four person office - not the size of 20th Century Fox Productions studios. The closing of its doors simply means Mr. Curtis was too ill to be there anymore, let alone work on future projects.  The licensing and other business can be done in a one person office for that matter, at least for the time being.

Nancy

If I may speculate my 2 cents worth, I tend to think the closing of Dan Curtis Productions many have been simply the closing of actual Dan supervised productions, such as films which he  actually produced and or directed or Dan himself was actively involved in.   [director] I would think holding the "rights" to past productions and characters, also known as intellectual property would still be active even if a division that did worked with new productions was closed. So, yes, Jim P is still the "go-to" man   [deal2] if you want to license DS for toys, jigsaw puzzles, radio dramas, get clips for a film or documentary, etc. Anyway, that's how I interpret it.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm not one to attempt to silence anyone, Jim (and I couldn't anyway).  I don't see where some of these "hard" inquiries are anyone's business, that's all.  At no time in my memory was the business model for Dan Curtis Productions spelled out in any publication and so I don't see why anyone should expect that to be done now.  Dan Curtis was going to die sooner or later and it defies logic he would not have made provisions for that eventuality and what would happen to his intellectual properties, etc.  What he decided to do and entrust all that to isn't a pressing matter to anyone outside of those directly involvement, in my view.  It's like asking someone how much money he/she makes.  It's a personal business matter.

I could find out on my own what is going on with the franchise if I wanted to but I won't.  Why? It's not my business. There's no reason for me to be told.  My only business and concern is what future DS projects are going to be done and there has been no indication whatsoever the future of DS projects are going to be impeded by Mr. Curtis' passing. And that for that all DS fans can be grateful.

Nancy I think you may have misinterpreted my previous posts. There seems to have been some confusion created with the information that DCP had closed its doors and what that event may have meant to the future of the franchise. Based on subsequent posts, we now know that its closing does not effect any future DS projects. These aforementioned informative posts, were generated by the cousins here asking some hard questions. Did you see any post where a cousin asked for Dan Curtis Productions business model? Cousins here have a right to ask for a clarification regarding a topic that may be uncertain to them. BTW what "defies logic" to you may not be as apparent to others.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm just having a dense moment. I'll freely admit that it's been a long, hard day today, so my brain is a bit fried.  :D  But perhaps beyond the fact that the DCP office has closed, I don't see where any info has been disseminated in this topic that wasn't already known or couldn't have been logically and fairly easily deduced.  [idontknow]  And while I do agree that we as fans can ask any questions we may be curious about, it doesn't necessarily follow that we have a right to learn all the answers. As Nancy stated, some things are just none of our business.

But all that being said, I most certainly agree that all that's really important is that the DS franchise remains alive and well and thriving.  :)