Author Topic: Failure Of Aquaman Pilot Dredges Up The Situation With The 2004 DS Pilot  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
An article on the Dark Horizons Web site about how The CW (the new network being formed by a merger of The WB and UPN) didn't pickup The WB's "shoe-in" Aquaman pilot made by the Smallville creators likens its failure to get a pickup to the situation with the 2004 DS pilot:

When The CW announced its new Fall shows line-up on Thursday, no sign of the show (alternately titled "Mercy Reef" or simply "The Reef") existed - only one 'family on the run' drama entitled "Runaway" made it into the final line-up. A surprise but not unexpected, a high concept genre series like "Aquaman" is expensive to produce which is not a welcome idea for a smaller network.

Its also not the first time this has happened either, two years ago The WB developed much talked about pilots for contemporary updates of 60's vampire series "Dark Shadows" and sci-fi classic "Lost in Space" and yet when the Fall line-up was announced neither show made it, the network opting only for its disastrous family drama "The Mountain".

Those 'Shadows' and 'Lost' pilots may have been quietly buried (and having seen the awful 'Lost' one for good reason, have yet to see 'Shadows' though would love too), "Aquaman" isn't going so quietly into the good night. This weekend saw a 2.5 minute preview with scenes from the pilot emerge online

However, the Aquaman situation is definitely a bit different from that of the DS pilot. The DS pilot was competing with other WB pilots - Aquaman was competing with the other WB pilots as well as the UPN pilots. Certainly not the greatest of odds - especially when The CW was already trying to merge the most successful shows from the two other networks into one schedule.

I also wonder, if The WB DS pilot had gone to series in 2004, if we might be lamenting its failure to make the cut to The CW just as the fans of such WB series as Everwood are now? Though, of course, that's something we'll never know...

Anyone interested in reading the entire article can check out: "Aquaman" Early Look Goes Online

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I also wonder, if The WB DS pilot had gone to series in 2004, if we might be lamenting its failure to make the cut to The CW just as the fans of such WB series as Everwood are now? Though, of course, that's something we'll never know...

I believe that if had been successful, like Supernatural, it would've been picked up. The CW seemed to want to go with their established shows instead of taking a risk on several new ones like Mercy Reef (I always thought MR was a dumb idea, honestly). Next year I would expect more pilots on the schedule because they have a couple veteran shows that won't be on much longer (Gilmore Girls, Smallville). They'll need new shows.

I've read that a couple of the shows - I think One Tree Hill and Veronica Mars - only received a 13 episode order for next season because of their low ratings...maybe they'll hang on to Mercy Reef as a possible mid-season replacement. I haven't heard that they thought the MR pilot was bad, it just seems like the was no room on the schedule.

With the DS situation, I personally believe that they used the excuse of the pilot being "unsalvagable" because they merely wanted to try a new direction with their network - hence Jack & Bobby and The Mountain. Straight dramas. I believe someone at one point said they were moving away from franchise/cult shows. And of course, a year later, the only new hit they had come up with was Supernatural - gasp! A cult show! I'm not sure they'll be as quick to dismiss the cult/fantasy type shows again. Two of their biggest hits (Buffy & Smallville) and their only recent successful new show (Supernatural) fall under that category.

I'm addicted to Supernatural. Can't wait until it comes back in the fall.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If the 2004 DS made it to series, the CW would have looked closely at its ratings and compared it to the production costs it generated. Its hard to imagine that the 45 minute DS pilot cost 6 million dollars to produce. After viewing it at a prior Fest, I just don't think it warranted that cost especially in its unfinished state. There were some nice special effects but 6 million dollars??? I would have taken my chances with CW's management over the clueless executives at the WB. I am also surprising ambivalent about the pilot being shown at the Fest this year. I know that many people are dying to see it for the first time and that is indeed a good thing. On one hand, it will create more talk about what would have been if the pilot was picked up to series. My hope is that by showing the pilot again, it will create more buzz about the pilot and that in turn could get some networks interested in the pilot or order a new DS pilot. On the other hand, perhaps the pilot should indeed be buried for good if nothing is ever going to become of it especially if there are no plans to ever release it on DVD? I read somewhere that the Sci-Fi Channel was looking at reviving DS. But who knows what direction their heading in now. That network is placing a wrestling show on its channel. Go figure.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
On the other hand, perhaps the pilot should indeed be buried for good if nothing is ever going to become of it especially if there are no plans to ever release it on DVD?

Just because no one is talking about releasing the pilot on DVD now doesn't mean no one will consider it  at some point in the future.  Haven't we all learned by now that in television there is no such thing as the "Last Word" concerning anything?

And of course the pilot should be shown to as many people as can be arranged.  Who ever knows what wunderkind might be sitting in a dark room some day, watching a bootlegged copy of the pilot and thinking "when I get my chance, I'm going to do something with this old story...."

DS has lasted 40 years already. If that legacy doesn't deserve faith, what does?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
On the other hand, perhaps the pilot should indeed be buried for good if nothing is ever going to become of it especially if there are no plans to ever release it on DVD?

Just because no one is talking about releasing the pilot on DVD now doesn't mean no one will consider it  at some point in the future.  Haven't we all learned by now that in television there is no such thing as the "Last Word" concerning anything?

And of course the pilot should be shown to as many people as can be arranged.  Who ever knows what wunderkind might be sitting in a dark room some day, watching a bootlegged copy of the pilot and thinking "when I get my chance, I'm going to do something with this old story...."

DS has lasted 40 years already. If that legacy doesn't deserve faith, what does?

Raineypark, as I clearly stated in my post, I am hopeful that by showing the DS pilot once again, that it may get a network interested in the filmed DS project. However, I got the distinct impression at the last Fest that this filmed pilot will never make it to DVD because of legal reasons and the fact that the pilot was never finished and that it would be very costly to have it completed. I thought I also heard that all of the networks had seen the pilot and passed on it. I don't think DCP would like to have this version on a bootleg somewhere for legal and artistic reasons. Do you think that DCP is still actively shopping this filmed pilot to the networks? I hope you are right. Is that the faith we should be believing in? I am always hoping for a new DS project. I do believe in the legacy of the DS franchise. Perhaps we are talking about different things.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Raineypark, as I clearly stated in my post, I am hopeful that by showing the DS pilot once again, that it may get a network interested in the filmed DS project. However, I got the distinct impression at the last Fest that this filmed pilot will never make it to DVD because of legal reasons and the fact that the pilot was never finished and that it would be very costly to have it completed.

Never is a long time.  How long did it take them to change their minds about only showing the pilot once, at the LA Fest, and never again?  Just long enough to get a crowd to show up at the LA Fest, by my calculations.

What's to stop the owners of the rights from issuing the pilot on DVD if they want?  (BTW....DCP closed its doors months ago, before Dan Curtis passed away).

Do I think a new DS is likely to show up soon?  No.  Do I think there's hope that another version might exist one day?  Sure.  Why not?  The original version was an odd success to say the least.  Why shouldn't lightening strike twice?  How often do studios change personnel?  The guy who said "no" the last time might not be in charge the next time the idea comes up.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Never is a long time.  How long did it take them to change their minds about only showing the pilot once, at the LA Fest, and never again?  Just long enough to get a crowd to show up at the LA Fest, by my calculations.

What's to stop the owners of the rights from issuing the pilot on DVD if they want?  (BTW....DCP closed its doors months ago, before Dan Curtis passed away).

Do I think a new DS is likely to show up soon?  No.  Do I think there's hope that another version might exist one day?  Sure.  Why not?  The original version was an odd success to say the least.  Why shouldn't lightening strike twice?  How often do studios change personnel?  The guy who said "no" the last time might not be in charge the next time the idea comes up.

You raised some interesting points. I guess never say never is a good philosophy to have especially in this universe. Although DCP closed, I am sure there are good people in charge representing DS' interests. This cult classic should live again and hopefully soon.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I've been reading these posts and I have a question (or, I guess, several -- LOL!).  If DCP has closed its doors, what does this mean for any possible new DS tv show or movie?  Does that mean there's no longer a possibility of a new DS or is Jim Pierson in charge and he could make a new DS but he'd have to form a different production company?  Does Pierson now own the rights to DS?  Can anyone out there help me with this confusion?  Eek!  (LOL!) 

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
(BTW....DCP closed its doors months ago, before Dan Curtis passed away).

Where'd you hear that Raineypark?  I hadn't heard that.  If it's closed, who's getting the residuals for the DVD's and other merchandise?
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Quote from: BuzzH
Where'd you hear that Raineypark?  I hadn't heard that.

The offices of DC Productions closed while Curtis was ill.  The phone number goes to voicemail.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well then I may as well take a stab at this as there has been no definitive answer to this question. With DCP's office physically closing, it does not mean that the corporation dissolved. I don't think its closing means the end for any future Dark Shadows projects. Someone or some entity has to be protecting the franchise's interests. I would think Dan's family has a large say in what goes on and any new project would need their blessing. Perhaps there is or is going to be a new production company. However, I can be wrong. Perhaps this is truly the end although I seriously doubt that.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Hi Jim,

I thought it was established in an earlier discussion of this topic that DCP had no say in the WB's treatment of the series, the pilot, etc.  I had understood that Dan was allowed to visit the set or make suggestions as a courtesy.  I do remember being surprised that he had finally surrendered his role in the development of the new Dark Shadows.

Perhaps somebody who is in the know will post just who currently owns the rights to possible future incarnations of the series.

Best wishes, Gothick

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I thought it was established in an earlier discussion of this topic that DCP had no say in the WB's treatment of the series, the pilot, etc.  I had understood that Dan was allowed to visit the set or make suggestions as a courtesy.  I do remember being surprised that he had finally surrendered his role in the development of the new Dark Shadows.

Perhaps somebody who is in the know will post just who currently owns the rights to possible future incarnations of the series.

Hi Gothic and thanks for your best wishes. Same to you cousin.

Well Dan was officially a co-producer of the WB pilot so the pilot could not have been filmed without his blessing. You are right in that the discussions here did indicate that Dan gave up some of his authority in order for the pilot to go forward. I am sure he had a say in the making of the pilot but obviously the pilot did not turn out as he had expected. I would guess he had concerns about some of the actors and certainly the director. I was looking at the announcement subsequent to Dan's passing concerning the BigFish upcoming Audio Dramas on CDs, and it reflects Jim Pierson as the Executive Producer for Dan Curtis Productions. Perhaps there are legal concerns preventing people from posting here. But still our question concerning who is in control of the DS franchise is a very legitimate one.

Take care.

Jim

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But still our question concerning who is in control of the DS franchise is a very legitimate one.

And in due time - quite possibly during the Fest, if not before - the answer will be revealed. However, just as was the case with the WB pilot, where we as fans didn't actually have the right to expect to be continually updated about the pilot's progress, we as fans don't actually have a right to know the terms of DC's will. The only people who have that right are the people named in it. And it's purely up to them as to when they might decide to share what knowledge they may possess.  ;)  I'm sure it's not a case that anyone is trying to keep anything a secret. After all, what would be the point?  :-

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
we as fans don't actually have a right to know the terms of DC's will. The only people who have that right are the people named in it.

Whoa!  I wasn't asking what the terms of the man's will were, I never even mentioned DC!  I just asked Raineypark where she got her information from, that's all!  There are a lot of rumors out there folks, I'm just trying to find out if this was fact or fiction!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"