Author Topic: Alexandra Isles New Documentary / Cable's LINK TV Airs Alexandra Isles Film  (Read 4723 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
It would appear that Alexandra Moltke Isles was awarded a grant by the New York State Council on the Arts and created a new documentary, The Healing Gardens of New York.  It is going to be playing at the Pioneer Theatre located at 155 East 3rd Street, New York, NY 10009 on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:00 PM.  Tickets are available on-line at Pioneer Theater or by calling (800) 595-4849 for tickets and (212) 591-0434 for other information.

There is supposed to be a reception afterwards at the 6B Garden in the East Side (Manhattan that is) and the theater's web-site mentions this is a meet and greet with the filmmaker.  Now it does not specifically say she will be there.  It says "Every Tuesday at 7pm features special guests presenting their film, and is followed by a beer and pizza reception for ticket holders. Except for this one - no beer at the beautiful 6B garden where we'll host our reception."  Thus, she may not really be there.  It could be other people would be there.

Once again, New Yorkers are lucky ducks.  It's supposed to be on PBS this summer.  But, I have a feeling only New York is going to get it.  I have not been able to unearth any 411 on that yet.

If any New Yorker can get it, please record for me!!!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra Isles New Documentary
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 01:09:29 AM »
being a new yorker i'm really going to try to check this out.

i'm slightly ashamed to admit that i would attend the screening of what is surely a fine documentary for d.s.ish reasons but that's just how it is.

as far as the "meet and greet" goes i'm not sure how i'd handle it.should i just gaze from afar or attept a stammered introduction?could i disguise my d.s. fan-ish-ness or would she instictively know? ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:41:54 AM »
You could attempt to put on pasty color make-up on your face.  That way when you blush (which I would too) you'll look just right and no one would notice.

I'm very happy you might be able to attend.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:35:09 AM »
I hope you'll be able to chat with her, mscbryk.  You could start with a comment about her film, and if you feel comfortable bringing up DS, I think you should go for it.  She strikes me as someone who would appreciate sincerity.  :)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 01:37:23 AM »
i'll have to feel the situation out.

i don't want to make ms.isles uncomfortable or make "us" look wierd.
but since she has not thus far ever attended a fest i would like to meet her.

funny,in my line of work i get to see everybody and i'm always as cool as a cucumber.the only "celebrity" who left me flustered was supermodel linda evangelista(another weird obsession of mine)and,of course,alexandra if i do indeed get to meet her.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 03:31:54 AM »
Oh, I just have to ask whether you ever saw George Michael's "Too Funky" video with Linda Evangelista and a bunch of other supermodels (Tyra Banks, I believe, was another one)?  It's a real hoot and underlines the "drag queen" aspect of what supermodels do by mixing up some actual drag queens with the gals.

It would be fun to have a Dark Shadows version with footage of Cassandra swanking through the drawing room in her butterfly caftan, Julia swinging her purse in her latest mod tweed ensemble, Carolyn working it in the Blue Whale, etc.

Best, Steve

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »
gothick,

of course i've seen the "too funky" video.fabulous.but the ne plus ultra of supermodels(linda,christy,naomi,titiana,cindy)lipsynching to george michael is "freedom".

but this is a bit off-topic so.... ;)

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 09:05:13 PM »
I did find another showing of this documentary where Alexandra Isles is scheduled to appear.  It's at the 92nd Street Y on June 6, 2006 at 7:30 PM.  Alexandra Isles will be appearing with James Jiler, Director of the GreenHouse Project at Rikers Island; Sonny Watson, founding member, Taqwa Community Farm; and Gwenn Fried, horticulture therapist at Rusk Institute and Project Find.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 01:07:56 AM »
i also believe that she would not mind talking about DS
i'm sure she gets ? about that other matter that tacky
people probaly want to know about. she always struck
me as someone with class and i wish she would attend a fest

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 01:18:44 AM »
I personally would find it odd to discuss Dark Shadows in the middle of a panel with other guests that are discussing The Healing Gardens of New York.  Perhaps, if opportunity arises one might be able to ask one or two questions privately about Dark Shadows during a reception setting.

I also think it would be appropriate to ask her questions about her other documentaries. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 01:44:48 AM »
i totaly agree.

it would be unbelievably tacky to ask ms.isles anything about d.s. during a panel discussion about her new film.

privately if the right moment occasions itself perhaps.

as far as that "other matter" is concerned who even cares about that any more?it's such old news and only a really dreadful person would embarass her with any mention of it at all.

thanks for the info about the june 6th screening victoria.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 02:09:07 AM »
i totaly agree.

it would be unbelievably tacky to ask ms.isles anything about d.s. during a panel discussion about her new film.

privately if the right moment occasions itself perhaps.

as far as that "other matter" is concerned who even cares about that any more?it's such old news and only a really dreadful person would embarass her with any mention of it at all.
oh i didn't think you would ask her then but there are dreadful people out there that'll ask anything
to embrass someone anytime. i hope that her new film does well she deserves it after all these years i still remember
her Victoria Winters  and how much i wanted to look like her when i was a ten years old. i'm sure she is stiil lovely
and would love to see her at the fest i would love her to know there is a lot of us that admire her work on DS
even forty years later :)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 02:15:59 AM »
I personally would find it odd to discuss Dark Shadows in the middle of a panel with other guests that are discussing The Healing Gardens of New York.  Perhaps, if opportunity arises one might be able to ask one or two questions privately about Dark Shadows during a reception setting.

Oh, absolutely.  Broaching the topic of DS with her followed your information about the meet and greet, which sounded fairly informal since it's described as an outdoor pizza reception.  The panel information hadn't been posted yet.

Was anyone else tickled to read that there's a large garden on Riker's Island?

And thank you for the information, victoriawinters!  Have a happy Mother's Day, ladies.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 03:28:47 AM »
i just got back.

ms.isles was in fact in attendence at both the documentary's screening and the informal reception held afterwards.

let's say that the more things change(she wore a top with sleeves)the more they stay the same(she still wears her hair"vicki style").

there was a fair crowd.kind of "crunchy".after the screening ms.isles got up and briefly thanked those who worked on the film with her.she was then presented with this sort of tie-dyed wrap thing that some of the children from the gardens made for her.sweet.

then the audience moved to the reception held in a community garden on the lower east side.ms.isles was surrounded by numerous friends and well wishers.under the circumstances(the event being held to honor her new film)i decided that any refernce to d.s. would have been inappropriate but when i left i told her i enjoyed the film and she shook my hand and said thank you.she was polite but still i wondered if she somehow "knew".

40 years on the girl's still kind of dreamy. :P

oh,and the film was nice too.if anyone's interested in ordering a copy it's available for home video at $29.99.
please contact the cinema guild at (212)685-6242.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 08:55:03 AM »
Thanks for the information about ordering the video mscbryk.  I hope it's really a DVD but may be that is too much to hope for.  I'm really happy you got to meet her in person and see the film.  It sounds like it was special.  I very much appreciate your report.