Author Topic: My thoughts on Leviathan thus far  (Read 4261 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
My thoughts on Leviathan thus far
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:49:59 PM »
Okay, so I'm about a dozen or so eps into Leviathan and I have to say, I'm *liking* it!  I like this new side of Barnabas [spoiler]not the 'baddie', we've all seen THAT before.  But the funny Barnabas who's laughing and smiling all the time.  Granted, he's under a spell of sorts but still, his scenes w/Paul Stoddard are hilarious![/spoiler]

I, like you all, hate Alexander, but I gotta give the kid credit, he can act for one so young.  To illicit the ill will we all feel towards him....that's talent.  And David Hennesy, well, need I say it?  THAT kid could act circles around many of the adults on the show!  Too bad he didn't continue acting, he'd have an Oscar on his mantle for sure!

[spoiler]I *love* the dream Liz has before becoming one of them, it was hilarious!  And again, WELL acted by David and there's that laughing Barnabas again![/spoiler]

I also really like Paul Stoddard!  [spoiler]Too bad he dies in this plotline.  I would have like to see him survive and continue on w/the show.[/spoiler]

Now, I'm only guessing about this, but I'm thinking those of you who watched the show originally didn't like this plotline, generally speaking, I know *some* of you did like it, because after a vampire, witch, Frankenstein man, warlock and two werewolves, not to mention all the ghosts, this was too slow and boring?  I grew up watching 'traditional' soaps like General Hospital, Guiding Light etc...so this is interesting to me.  I like all the mystery and the [spoiler]Who's Grant Douglas'? stuff is fun too--although I must admit, I'd have preferred Quentin coming back and knocking on the Old House front door to see his long-lost 'cousin' Barnabas, only to have Barnabas be cold to him like everyone else, leaving Quentin wondering what the hell is up.[/spoiler]But alas, what are you going to do?

Anyway, wanted to 'ring in' on this plotline.  Time will tell if it continues to intrique me.  It MAY start to drag at the end I suppose, but didn't ALL the plotlines do this in the end?   ;D 8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: My thoughts on Leviathan thus far
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:24:25 PM »
I concur, I thought Paul Stoddard was an awesome character to have around, and even double thrilled that it's Dennis Patrick who plays him. And I really like your idea for the introduction of Grant Douglas, that would have been a neat plotline to follow. From what I remember I really liked this storyline at it's start, I don't remember much though because it gets a bit insane near the end, even more so than the summer of 68 and ADAM. Some of it will have you going Why did they do that?! but generally it's a good bit of fun.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:39:20 AM »
I loved several things about this plot-line:  (BuzzH some of my spoilers are ahead of you so see them later.)

[spoiler]Bad Barnabas and then anti-hero Barnabas.  His voice when he was reading the evil incantations was so scary.  I think it's really groovy how he used his vampire skills for good later in the plot-line.

The Leviathan Monster we never see.  The heavy breathing just is super.  How the various characters play off the heavy breathing is spectacular.  It gives the green screen a whole new meaning before there was even a green screen.

Bad boy Chris Pennock.  His shirtless shadow dance scene is delicious.

The lobby to hell.  The use of the juxtaposing colors with parts of the set in no light was just divine.  Koodos to the lighting director and Sy Tomasoff.

Mr. Best.  He was a really evil bad guy.

The hanging man that you couldn't see was a nice touch even if it was Roger Davis.[/spoiler]
Agreed about all the children in this plot line.  All of them truly shined.  I'm so glad none of them were my step-children.

I'm sure I'll come up with more later. 

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 01:01:30 AM »
[spoiler]Mr. Best.  He was a really evil bad guy.[/spoiler]

I never really thought of him as a bad guy, I'll have to get the DVDs and give that vibe to his character. I loved that set too, but thought it was more like purgatory.

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 02:50:10 AM »
As i have said before its my fav time period and the best time period in my opinion. there is some boreing parts yes but when jeb hawkes arrives the time period is amazeing. Alexander was annoying at times but he was kool to.

Evan Hanley

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 01:43:37 AM »
i'm glad you're enjoying these episdoes buzz.

i was fully prepared to despise this storyline but i actually ended up enjoying it too(despite all of the numerous problems with it).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 03:20:11 AM »
Please forgive me but for the life of me I have not been able to figure out how to quote spoilers. I totally know what you mean, Buzz, re fun w/ Barn & Liz. I kept replaying those scenes in slo-mo just to watch the new facial expressions appear. Great stuff!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 03:33:32 PM »
i'm glad you're enjoying these episdoes buzz.  i was fully prepared to despise this storyline but i actually ended up enjoying it too(despite all of the numerous problems with it).

Yeah, I'm still really enjoying it and thus far it hasn't dragged.  I've just watched the ep where Bruno is introduced and by the time I finish this boxset I'll be up to 1970 PT, another plotline I've never seen!  ;)  However, there WAS one BIG continuity blooper that despite the fact that I don't normally let these bother me, this one did.  It's when [spoiler]Barnabas is finally giving Julia the 411 on how he became a Leviathan and he's telling her, via flashbacks, that Oberon told him if he didn't comply they'd turn him into a vampire again and kill Josette, whom they were holding hostage in the past.  Originally, he didn't know this and it was only after Michael tells him to off Julia, and he refuses, that Adler comes to him in that dream and tells him about Josette and that he'll be turned back into a vampire etc...[/spoiler]  That was a frustrating blooper!  But still, I'm glad to see [spoiler]Barnabas, Julia and Quentin working as a team to thwart the Cheap Insuffable Pig Jeb[/spoiler]

Please forgive me but for the life of me I have not been able to figure out how to quote spoilers.

Barnabasjr, to do spoilers just type spoiler inside brackets like these [] at the beginning and /spoiler inside the same kind of brackets at the end of what you want to hide.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Quoting spoilers / was: Re: My thoughts on Leviathan thus far
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 06:22:13 PM »
for the life of me I have not been able to figure out how to quote spoilers.

Click the Quote button in the post you want quoted.  Then edit out the text, including the spoilers, that you're not responding to.  Leave everything that's inside the first and last quote tags, and leave the spoiler tags at the start and end of the spoiler that you want quoted.  So it might now look like this before you add your reply underneath:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=BuzzH link=topic=9009.msg75886#msg75886 date=1147103399]
Okay, so I'm about a dozen or so eps into Leviathan and I have to say, I'm *liking* it!  I like this new side of Barnabas [spoiler]not the 'baddie', we've all seen THAT before.
But the funny Barnabas who's laughing and smiling all the time.  Granted, he's under a spell of sorts but still, his scenes w/Paul Stoddard are hilarious![/spoiler][/quote]

One set of opening and closing quote tags, plus one set of opening and closing spoiler tags (per spoiler that you want quoted), must be in there, and in this order:

Code: [Select]
[quote][spoiler][/spoiler][/quote]
Ignore "code", btw; it allows all the codes to show up in the post.  If the print in the white boxes is too tiny, you could try enlarging your text to read it.  If you use Windows, pressing Control and + should work.

Hope that helped.   8)

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 01:31:27 AM »
i liked this time period most of the time and thought the children were wonderful
it did drag a little but there were some great scenes Jeb needed to be slapped daily
but i quess that was how he was supposed to be >:D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »
Just watched a third season episode of Emergency! last night w/the now teenaged Michael Maitland in it.  Granted, I'd seen this ep many times before but didn't realize he was in it.  He looked a little different, older of course (3 years-the ep was filmed/aired in '73 making him 16 I guess) and his hair was now brown and not blond (did he have it colored for DS I wonder) but damn, that kid was CUTE.  Bet he's a full on HOTTIE by now.  Wish HE'D come to a Fest!   :P
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 03:33:48 AM »
Well, just got to the part where [spoiler]Willie has returned and he and Maggie are trapped in the Tower Room w/Jeb breathing in the hallway and I'm still LOVING it!  And I absolutely laughed my ASS off when I saw Paul Stoddard grinning in his coffin!  Check out my caption for that!  ;)[/spoiler]

Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 10:35:58 PM »
Hey Buzz, I loved LeviaLiz's frosty reception of Willie upon his arrival at Collinwood.  Her deadpan looks contrasted with his goofy charm  are hysterical!  They didn't give Joan many opportunities at this stage of the game to turn on "the freeze" which was an important part of Liz's stock in trade earlier on.

Glad to hear you are enjoying Leviathans!  In many respects it is my favorite storyline.  The only one that can compete with it is Cassandra and Nicholas in the Summer of 1968 which was my first storyline so will always hold a special place in my heart.

cheers, G.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 02:36:30 AM »
Glad to hear you are enjoying Leviathans!  In many respects it is my favorite storyline.

I really am, and I'm nearly finished w/it.  I just saw the "cheap, insufferable pig" episode and I thought of our Mysterious Benefactor when Roger uttered that immortal line.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
Well, Leviathan is all but over, just a couple eps to go before [spoiler]Barnabas steps into the newly discovered PT room[/spoiler]and I must say I don't know what all the fuss was about!  I *loved* this plotline!  I didn't think it dragged one bit.  It was fast paced from day one to the end and very interesting and intriguing.  I DO wish we could have seen Jeb in his 'higher state', but that's not a big deal.  The ONLY problems I had w/it, and they are minor really, are [spoiler]1. Paul Stoddard getting killed; 2. the continuity blooper of how and when Barnabas was told they were supposedly holding Josette prisoner and that he'd again become a vampire, and who told him, first it was Adlar, then suddenly it was Oberon; 3. Jeb's complete 180 in the span of 1/2 an episode.  Are we REALLY expected to like and cheer for him after only 1/2 an ep of good, heroic behavior?  Not me, I'm waiting anxiously for him to die.[/spoiler]
Anyway, I definately liked this plotline and will have NO problem watching it again in the future.  Now the Adam/Eve creation plotline is another story!  [puke] That's one I'll NEVER watch again.  Looking forward to PT and 1995, then summer 1970 before the 1840 plotline, which I've seen, begins.  Once I get to 1840 and 1841 PT I'll take a much needed break as I've seen both of these plotlines.  I'm getting a little burned out on DS, watching 40 eps or more a week is exhausting!  ;)  I must add that [spoiler]When Barnabas first discovers the PT room while looking for Megan's coffin in the East Wing, then comes downstairs and tells the newly returned from the Carriage House Julia about it[/spoiler]Jonathan did a fantastic job of acting!  [spoiler]He looks, and SOUNDS, sufficiently confused and terrified by what he saw![/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"