Author Topic: I'm finally making the pilgrimage  (Read 1689 times)

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
I'm finally making the pilgrimage
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:35:31 PM »
Yes, my mother and I are going up to Newport, Rhode Island this summer to see "Collinwood," the great house.  I've never traveled to the Northeast, and I'll be happy to see another part of America as well as look at and explore that all-familiar house by the sea.  Can I actually go in the building?  It's my understanding that it's now owned by Salve Regina University.  Oh, and what about the "Blue Whale"/Black Pearl Restaurant?  Is it any good?  I'm also wondering whether it's worth my time to go to Essex, Connecticut and see the "Evans' Cottage" among other things.  So, any travel suggestions in general, i.e., cheap though nice hotels, other places of interst, etc.?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm finally making the pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:02:10 PM »
You can't get in to the house but you can see it from the outside.  Several of us DO get into the house when we go, but we know the Carey's, the family that owns the house.  In fact, several of us are going to go up before the Fest to see the mansion as well as go to Essex to see the Griswald Inn (Collinsport Inn), Black Pearl (Blue Whale)--both of which have excellant, but pricey food, I'd say go to the Black Pearl for lunch as it's cheaper--and the Evans Cottage.  We also know the couple that owns the cottage and have gotten an inside tour from them as well.  They are VERY nice ppl who are kind enough to put up w/our silliness.  ;)  One year we were filming raw footage for a Cheep Productions skit at the Evan's Cottage and the woman who lives there, Mrs. Campbell, even got into the spirit of the thing when Selby D. Pearson, who was playing a blind Sam Evans leaving the cottage and saying, "Goodbye Maggie!  Off to the Blue Whale!" chimed in unexpectedly as Maggie, "Bye Pop!"  It was too cool!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 08:31:58 PM »
You will love it. My family has been to Newport RI two times and each time was a wonderful experience. It is so fun walking around the Collinwood Mansion and seeing the ocean. Also fun eating at the Black Pearl we got to eat outside and the food was great. I don't have any hotel suggestions because each time we stayed at a hotel in NYC and was taken to Newport RI by charter bus with the festival.

Have a good time,

Jeff

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:39:54 PM »
I don't have any hotel suggestions

I can tell you one place NOT to stay and that's the Pineapple Inn!  Oy vey!  It's HORRIBLE.  Talk about The Bates Motel!!   [eviltongue]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:15:11 PM »
Thanks, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind.  I've always wanted to go to "Collinwood" (or "Hollywood" as Lara accidentally calls it in 1840)!  It's a pity I can't go to the "Old House" too.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:47:22 PM »
It's a pity I can't go to the "Old House" too.

That was on the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown NY, but it burned to the ground in 1970 unfortunately!    :'(  I would have liked to see that as well.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 03:18:56 AM »
I know if I go up to Newport again, here's an interesting place I'd like to see:

http://www.cliffsideinn.com/beatricehome.html

The late artist Beatrice Turner lived there in seclusion after the deaths of her parents.  After her own death, it was discovered that she painted over 1000 self-portraits over the years, as well as many other works, beginning with a post-mortem portrait of her father.  She eccentrically had her home painted black, and roamed the Cliffwalk alone at dusk.  (Is this early-DS Liz Stoddard-ly or what?  May even remind one of Faulkner's "A Rose for Miss Emily.")  All the paintings were almost burned in a bonfire, but a sympathetic neighbor rescued a representative sampling, and later Beatrice's mansion was converted to an inn, with the surviving works on display.

Other places that look interesting are the older cemeteries on the way to the mansion area (ironically along "Farewell Avenue" though I think that's in reference to the Naval installation up there.)  Some of the stones look suitably old, 1700's vintage or maybe older.  There's a couple of old houses in the center of Newport with the classic Rhode Island-style combination stone side wall / fireplace that I noticed were actually museums now.  The oldest synagogue in New England is there, and the church where JFK married Jackie.  And the Tennis museum.  Then there's all the mansions on Bellevue, etc.  One can still buy a pass at any of the listed mansions that can get one into several mansions at a reduced price, and luckily, several of those are within walking distance of each other. 

Anyway, here's some sites to get you started:

http://www.gonewport.com/mediaroom/history.htm

http://www.newporthistorical.org/

http://www.newenglandtravelplanner.com/go/ri/newport/sights/preserv_soc.html

This castle was featured on "City Confidential" a few years back:

http://www.belcourtcastle.com/

Unfortunately, Mr. Tinney, one of the current owners, passed away in January (which I hadn't heard about until I looked these sites up.)  However, his widow still seems to be in charge.  This formerly-rundown estate with a slightly scandalous history was bought at a "bargain" price in the 1950s and restored over many years by one dedicated--- some might say obsessed-- small family, a story in itself.  IMO, this might fit in with a DS theme, as they, along with some other "haunted" mansions, have a "ghost tour."

This gives a good history of the place:

http://www.quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=1031

Then there's several wharves besides Bannister's, which is the site of the Black Pearl.  Plenty of plain and fancy shops in that area, which believe it or not, was once considered a very seedy area, and just starting the current gentrification / restoration around the time DS first filmed some location footage up there.

I hope some of these ideas help.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 04:36:02 PM »
Wow, thanks, Donna Friedlander!  I'll definitely take your suggestions into account when I go up there this summer--and thanks for all those links!  Newport seems like a great place.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »
i love Newport and the mansions are great hard to believe people  just "summered there" . next to cape cod it is my favorite
area

have fun
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 03:28:17 PM »
next to cape cod it is my favorite area

I love Cape Cod!  Just made my first trip to Provincetown last August!  THAT place is how I've always pictured Collinsport!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 04:04:48 PM »
Just made my first trip to Provincetown last August!  THAT place is how I've always pictured Collinsport!
PTown is fun isn't it? i went to Ct and saw the "Collinsport Inn" Where are you coming in from to go to Newport?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV