Author Topic: Out of Sight, But in Mind  (Read 5954 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Sight, But in Mind
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 05:02:14 PM »
Jean-Claude,

I know it's absurdly romantic of me, but I always thought that handkerchief Vicki found belonged to Flora Collins.  The initials on it do work, presuming Flora had a Scots maiden name (I always thought the Collins ancestral home was Scotland or Ireland, btw).

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 06:32:04 PM »
Ive felt the same way, though she did live in Rose Cottage.  Perhaps the owner of the handkerchief was one of the Collinses who were around between 1841-1897 like Edith's children and their spouses (one of those kids fathered Judith, Edward, Carl and Quentin).  More than likely a relation to Seaview's last owner, the supposedly eccentric bachelor Caleb Sayers Collins, who died in 1871 and left instructions in his will that only Collinses could live in the house for the first hundred years after his death.  That's why Burke was unable to buy Seaview from Elizabeth as a wedding present for Vicki.  I bet he was one of Gabriel and Edith's offscreen children who were away at boarding school when the events of 1840-41 took place.  So, in a nutshell, Quentin Collins II's uncle was the master of Seaview.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 06:41:13 AM »
In the episode I'm watching Quentin just mentioned Evan Hanley's wife. He's married? They never mention her again, nor do we ever see her.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the infamous Aunt Katherine of unknown lineage whom Carolyn balks at going to visit while she's under Barnabas' power in Ep #354. Apparently the woman is not a Collins because when Barnabas talks about the Collins family in Ep #218, he says that the only remaining members of the family are the people presently living at Collinwood and neither Liz nor Roger disputes that. (Though, of course, who's to say that six months later the writers would have even remembered having had Barnabas say that?  ::)) And presumably she isn't a Stoddard because, given 1) their attitude towards Paul, and 2) the fact that Carolyn states she never had any way to learn about her father beyond what Liz and Roger ever told her, it seems higly unlikely they associated with members of the Stoddard family.

My best guess is that perhaps Katherine was Liz and Roger's mother's sister - an aging dowager enjoying her final days in her Boston home/apartment. Or perhaps she was simply an older family friend whom out of respect the Collinses merely referred to as "Aunt" because of the closeness of their relationship but who was really of no blood relation whatsoever.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 12:12:07 AM »
Perhaps Aunt Katherine was Nora's daughter, though she was probably the sister of Liz and Roger's mother.

Richard Garner became one of the never seen but occasionally mentioned after 1967.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »
During the Adam storyline, [spoiler]when Angelique sends Eve back to 1795 so she can hit on Peter Bradford,[/spoiler] she arrives at the jail and the jailor announces that a woman named "Gloria Winters" has recently been hung.  LOL.  Never saw Gloria.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 10:29:53 PM »
During the Adam storyline, [spoiler]when Angelique sends Eve back to 1795 so she can hit on Peter Bradford,[/spoiler] she arrives at the jail and the jailor announces that a woman named "Gloria Winters" has recently been hung.  LOL.  Never saw Gloria.

::laughing:: I thought I heard him say that but then figured maybe he didn't, glad to know I'm not going crazy.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 01:31:40 AM »
Ben Stokes' wife, son, and daughter-in-law, [spoiler]all deceased by the 1840 storyline[/spoiler]and he must have had a grandson somewhere too, to become the lineal ancestor of Professor Stokes. Also would have liked to see the wife of the original Rev. Trask [spoiler]who was not mentioned in 1795, or as a person in 1897, until the 1840 story when son Lamar spoke of her.[/spoiler]
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 09:12:24 AM »
What about the Oscar Collins mentioned in the letter from Quentin to Jamison that Barnabas and Julia found in 1968?  We never saw him...and don't forget of course the leviathin creature who has never actually appeared to us!
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
How about Maggie's Aunt Loiuse that she was [spoiler]supposedly visiting in Montreal when Jeb was actually holding her captive in the secret crypt?[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 09:49:59 PM »
What about the Oscar Collins mentioned in the letter from Quentin to Jamison

According to the DS Almanacs, Edward was originally named Oscar.  :)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2006, 10:52:17 PM »
I read Craig Hamrick's biography of Louis Edmonds last week, and was shocked to learn that Carol Burnett asked to be briefly written into All My Children in 1983.  She never did anything of the sort for Dark Shadows!  I'm sure she could have done a nice job as Evan Handley's extravagant wife - assuming that Zsa Zsa Gabor didn't beat her out in auditions.  Which brings me to the reason for my post:  whom would we like to have seen playing all these uncast roles?  And shouldn't there have been a series of celebrity cameos for Barnabas's dockside victims?  Not to mention a special guest appearance by Elsie the Cow.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 03:12:34 AM »
  Aunt Katherine could have been played by an eccentric character actress like Estelle Winwood. Alexandra Moltke could have played Betty Hanscomb, giving her another role to play as she wanted. She could have been aged with make-up. 8)
MM

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 11:34:21 PM »
whom would we like to have seen playing all these uncast roles?  And shouldn't there have been a series of celebrity cameos for Barnabas's dockside victims?
Well, Marsha Mason played a dockside hooker during the Leviathan storyline.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 11:50:13 PM »
Well, Marsha Mason played a dockside hooker during the Leviathan storyline.

True - but she was a virtual unknown at the time.

Joanne Woodward was a DS fan. Can you imagine if she had done a cameo as one of Barnabas' floozies?  ;)