Author Topic: Logged?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Logged?
« on: April 21, 2002, 09:44:06 AM »
Another point of curiosity - what does it mean at the bottom of all the posts where it says "logged"?

Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Logged?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 10:54:49 AM »
The IP is logged in.  Don't forget also that some users set a preference to remain logged for a period of time.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 01:04:17 AM »
Thank you!  

I've been curious about that log time.  And also that "always logged" option.  I usually "uncheck" that.  One time I forgot to, and when I returned to the site later, was surprised to find myself already logged in.  I'm assuming that it showed me as being there the whole time I wasn't.  That seems very strange and is one reason I make sure to "uncheck" it all the time!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2002, 01:16:21 AM »
No, you weren't shown logged in that whole time.  Only for the number of minutes set in the default; I think it's an hour.

MB has since switched the default to unchecked, so when major updates are made your setup won't revert to the "always logged in" option anymore if that's not how you left it.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2002, 01:33:34 AM »
I had problems logging in today.  It said the website had been contacted, but nothing more happened.  Then, I stopped it and did "Home" again and it showed my name!  But, I was still listed as a guest and asked to log in.  There was no choice for "log out."  I finally closed out Explorer and started fresh.

Meanwhile, I tried clicking on "log in" at the top - and was surprised to find the "always logged in" unchecked and wondered if it was because of my change in the previous attempt.  I though MB had said he was changing it to "unchecked", but I always find it "checked" when I start.  

I normally go down to the bottom of the screen where there is a log in form, instead of clicking on "log in" and that one always is checked when I arrive.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2002, 02:01:52 AM »
I just experimented and you're right-- for guests that leave and come back it does get checked.  My mistake.  But if you're manually logging yourself out, then why would it matter whether it's checked or not?  I don't understand why you would want to create more work for yourself than is necessary.

And if it's your PC, why log out in the first place?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2002, 05:41:45 AM »
I've been curious about that log time.  And also that "always logged" option.  I usually "uncheck" that.  One time I forgot to, and when I returned to the site later, was surprised to find myself already logged in.  I'm assuming that it showed me as being there the whole time I wasn't.  That seems very strange and is one reason I make sure to "uncheck" it all the time!

If someone chooses to always stay logged in, their name only shows up when they're actually visiting this site. Once they close their browser or surf to another Web site, their name disappears.
The always stay logged in feature is there if someone doesn't want to log in every time they visit. As Midnite pointed out, so long as you're the only person who uses your computer, there's really no reason not to use it.
I think its biggest fan is probably Ringo, who not only commented around here somewhere about how much he likes it, but also wrote me a personal message to say the same thing. [smlyg]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2002, 05:48:12 AM »
I just experimented and you're right-- for guests that leave and come back it does get checked.  My mistake.

Sorry about that. :( After the update earlier this month, I fixed the portion of the script that brings up the separate login page (when somone clicks on the word "Login" in the menu) so that it was unchecked, but I forgot all about the login section at the bottom of the boardindex. Oops! :-[

But it's fixed now...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2002, 07:53:13 AM »
Oops! :-[

Hey, that's my line! ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2002, 08:44:27 AM »
Thank you both for the clarification!!  When I came in now, I noticed that the "bottom" one wasn't checked.  At first I was surprised and then I figured - oh, I bet MB saw my post and fixed it!

The fact that I came back that time and saw my name already listed, I assumed that by not logging out, I was listed as being there all the time.  I didn't like that idea, so that's why I've made a point of unchecking it.

Does that mean, that if I do check it, that any time I come back, I'll be automatically recognized, time settings and new posts, etc.  without having to log in?  That WOULD  be nice!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2002, 05:45:54 PM »
Does that mean, that if I do check it, that any time I come back, I'll be automatically recognized, time settings and new posts, etc.  without having to log in?

Yes.  And don't log out before you leave.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2002, 12:50:19 AM »
Thank you!  I'll try it.

At the WordPerfect forum, sometimes they discuss logging in or out - but there must be some sort of default to stay logged in, because I never pay any attention to it.  Any time I come back, it recognizes me with my current settings.
Josette