Author Topic: Fifty-six years ago today.  (Read 75 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Fifty-six years ago today.
« on: January 02, 2024, 02:40:52 AM »
I was in the fifth grade, and I was watching the episode featured in today's historical montage.  I remember it vividly, because the disfigured, bloodied ghost of Jeremiah terrified me.  When he carried Angelique off and dropped her into the grave, dumping dirt over her from her bird's-eye view, I actually hid behind a chair.  That last time I did that was probably six years earlier when, watching The Wizard of Oz on TV (something really big back then, hosted by Danny Kaye), the Wicked Witch of the West's image not only filled her massive crystal ball, but the whole screen.  I have started doing that again, when I get my monthly bill for my housing and nursing care in my assisted living facility. 

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Fifty-six years ago today.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 03:04:25 AM »
Gerard, me too it was quite scary to see. Especially when he appeared in the bedroom and I jumped ...
Hope you’re doing well. I think of you all the time.
Take care and God Bless you .
Love, Anne ❤️
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Fifty-six years ago today.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 08:24:18 AM »
Gerard,

In an interview on one of “The Sopranos” dvds, writer/series creator David Chase spoke about some of the songs he chose to use during important scenes on his acclaimed HBO series. For example, David Chase used the Vanilla Fudge’s song, “You Keep Me Hangin’ On,” when the truly loathsome Phil Leotardo was finally terminated. And, when Soprano family friend Rosalie Aprile expressed great angst about her apparently doomed son, Jackie, Mr. Chase enlisted the legendary Bob Dylan to sing the wistful Dean Martin song, “Return to Me.”  [santa_cry]

Well, in that dramatic Jeremiah/Angelique scene you mentioned, I wish that, while Jeremiah was carrying Angelique to that grave, Dan Curtis had decided to play Three Dog Night’s 1960s hit song, “Joy to the World,” featuring the lyrics,

Jeremiah was a bullfrog,

Was a good friend of mine.

I never understood a word he said,

But I helped him a-drink his wine!  [santa_grin] [4009] [8_2_73]

Similarly, maybe DC could have played Carly Simon’s hit song, “You’re So Vain,” whenever warlock Nicholas Blair was seen preening and kvelling in front of Maggie, Carolyn or Vicky? And, when the iconoclastic Buzz Hackett was seen chilling-out at Collinwood or at The Blue Whale (as only the inimitable Buzz could do), DC might have played Johnny Paycheck’s hit song, “Take This Job and Shove It.”

Bob