Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving To All/0t  (Read 670 times)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving To All/0t
« on: November 21, 2023, 08:45:10 PM »
Hi my dear friends, wishing you Gods Blessings for a wonderful Thanksgiving.
I’m so glad I have you all as DS friends.
Love , Anne  [THANKSGIVING]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving To All/0t
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 01:24:41 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving Annie and all wonderful cousins here!  I'm going with friends to a country club.  Ooo, how fancy-schmancy!  But here's to all the memoires of Thanksgiving in the 60's, when my mom got up at 3:00 a.m. to being the procedures, watching the parade, and no DS in the afternoon.

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 05:14:31 AM »
To you also, and everyone here!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 10:41:45 PM »
Hey, gang,

In the past, we’ve speculated on what Thanksgiving Day must have been like at the great house of Collinwood; who was invited to Collinwood for dinner, what exactly did Mrs. Johnson prepare for the Thanksgiving dinner and how delicious (or lousy) was it, and did Carolyn, and possibly Roger, regale everyone with festive, seasonal songs in the drawing room of Collinwood?

Yet, I don’t think that we ever speculated on what Thanksgiving Day was like for some of the other residents of Collinsport. Did Maggie prepare dinner for her beloved father, Sam, and her beloved boyfriend/ future husband, Joe Haskell, (until “you-know-who” showed up in town)?

And, what of Joe’s family? I believe Joe’s father was killed years before in an accident while he was at sea,
working as a fisherman for the Collins fishing fleet. Apparently, Joe’s mother was still alive. Did Joe have
siblings? And, did the members of the Haskell family also enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with Joe’s future wife and
her dad?

Of course, there were also the members of the Jennings family, Chris, Tom and little Amy, and Joe’s cousins. What was their Thanksgiving Day dinner like? Maybe they also had dinner at the Evans cottage with Joe and his family?

And, then there were the apparent bachelors of Collinsport, Maine: Doctor Dave Woodard, the Eagle Hill Cemetery Caretaker, and, possibly, Sheriff George Patterson, the venerable Ezra Braithwaite and the unfailingly convivial proprietor/head bartender of The Blue Whale, Bob Rooney. How did they celebrate Thanksgiving Day? Was the Collinsport Inn coffee shop open on Thanksgiving Day for the “lonely guys” of Collinsport to have someplace to get a turkey dinner on November 23? (And, I hope like heck, that Maggie did NOT have to work on that day!)

Yes, more mundane aspects of life in Collinsport,  I think we all would have liked to have seen unfold at 4:00 PM on ABC across the USA.

Oh, yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all of our DSF cousins and, please, no contentious arguments at the Thanksgiving dinner table regarding such varied topics of discussion as who’s better for America, Donald Trump or Joe Biden or just how long the Taylor
 Swift/Travis Kelce romance will last.  [nods] [thanksgiving-turkey] [wishbone] [smiley-riding-turkey]

Bob

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 08:27:37 AM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!

[eating-grapes]  [shooting-turkey]  [thanksgiving-turkey]
Josette

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 02:40:00 PM »
Hope your holiday was wonderful, Anne!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 09:22:36 PM »
A belated happy Thanksgiving and warm greetings to all! I thought about the forum here yesterday but between my mother's caregiving and preparing Thanksgiving dinner (albeit with some shortcuts - pies from Perkins, no gravy, a turkey breast rather than a whole turkey, etc.) I couldn't get here in time.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day.

And, Bob - what an entertaining post, really food for thought - much to chew on here - fascinating to think about all of those Collinsport inhabitants!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 03:20:20 AM »
Philippe, other than scenes from movies where somebody says during the carving of the turkey - I want a drumstick! - nobody likes the dark meat of the bird.  I always only bought the breast when I made it for Thanksgiving or Christmas and there was nary a word of complaint. (Okay, I know there are cousins here who like the turkey dark meat, but work with me.)  But you had no gravy?  Not even a bottle of it (the bachelor recipe)?  For that you must face the consequences.  No leftover sandwiches for you.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 06:26:26 AM »
I've always been a white meat person, and everyone I know is a white meat person - but that being said, my mom was a staunch dark meat person, so they are out there...

[eating-turkey] [smiley-eating-turkey]

Plus, isn't eating turkey legs some sort of big thing at Disney parks?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »
Yes, MB, turkey legs are a staple at the Disney parks. They're huge. So huge that you have to wonder exactly how big the rest of the turkey actually was.

Hey, Bob, I wouldn't be too surprised if Maggie had to work on Thanksgiving day at the coffee shop. The Inn would certainly have been open on the holiday. So Maggie and Suzie would likely have been serving up turkey galore to the guests and other locals. Sam would most likely be celebrating at The Blue Whale with some Wild Turkey.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 04:42:11 PM »
Hey, Bob, I wouldn't be too surprised if Maggie had to work on Thanksgiving day at the coffee shop. The Inn would certainly have been open on the holiday. So Maggie and Suzie would likely have been serving up turkey galore to the guests and other locals. Sam would most likely be celebrating at The Blue Whale with some Wild Turkey.

Uncle Roger,

I think you’re probably right about poor Maggie and Susie both having to work on Thanksgiving. However, I
think that you are DEFINTELY right about Sam Evans’ whereabouts on Turkey Day!!!  [smiley-riding-turkey] [dancing-turkey] [thanksgiving-prayer]

Bob

PS But where was the immortal Buzz Hackett on Thanksgiving?  [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_cool]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 05:16:46 PM »
PS But where was the immortal Buzz Hackett on Thanksgiving?  [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_cool]

At the closest biker bar, of course, partaking in the Thanksgiving holiday with his fellow bikers. [thanksgiving-family-dinner]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 05:22:00 PM »
I think that after leaving the biker bar, Buzz would have headed straight to the local drive in to watch Peter Fonda and Nancy Sinatra in The Wild Angels.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2023, 06:06:11 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Sounds like the perfect way for Buzz to cap off his holiday!  [hall2_wink] [hall2_grin]

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2023, 11:33:49 PM »
You know, it’s a d@mned shame that Barnabas and Buzz never crossed paths on the show. I think that DC and the DS writers missed a golden opportunity to provide us all with one of DS’s greatest and most unforgettable moments.

I mean, it would almost be like Sir Laurence Olivier meeting Sid Vicious. Alas, what might have been.  [turkey-dance] [wishbone] [hunting-turkey]