Author Topic: Regarding Oberon & Woody Allen  (Read 206 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Regarding Oberon & Woody Allen
« on: August 25, 2023, 10:59:00 PM »
Hey, gang,

I was re-watching the great Woody Allen film, “Radio Days,” which I hadn’t seen in over 25 years.

Okay, as I’m watching the end credits, I see Peter Lombard listed as the host of “The Mr. Abercrombie Program,” a sort of 1940s radio personal advice show version of today’s Dr. Laura Schlessinger.

So, I skimmed back through the dvd, and sure enough, with his deep, resonant voice, there was actor Peter Lombard, best known to loyal DS fans as Oberon, the Leviathan cult member, who, with the lovely Hazar, waylays and brainwashes Barnabas as Mr. B. is making his way on the path between the Old House and Collinwood during the 1897/1795 storyline.

Mr. Lombard appeared in four episodes of DS as the creepy and hooded Oberon, the Leviathan member, who initially advises and directs Barnabas as the temporary leader of the Leviathans.

Mr. Lombard was born in Spokane, Washington in 1935. He had a long career on Broadway as a stage actor, appearing in “Promises, Promises” as Jerry Orbach’s understudy. Mr. Lombard also appeared as Thomas Jefferson in the play, “1776,” along with such other DS alumni as David Ford, Virginia Vestoff and Daniel Keyes.

After retiring from acting, Mr. Lombard and his wife ran an antique store, “The Salvage Barn” on Hudson Street in Manhattan. The Lombards also ran a bed & breakfast in upstate New York, Mr. Lombard died in 2015 and was survived by his wife and two children.

Even though Mr. Lombard appeared in only a few DS episodes, I think that he left a lasting impression with his fine acting and that oh-so-wonderfully eloquent voice of his.

Requiem aeternam, Mr. Lombard.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Oberon & Woody Allen
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 12:25:30 AM »
Correction: Mr. Lombard portrayed the announcer on “The Mr. Abercrombie Radio Program.”  [Bunny Thumb Up]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 01:00:49 AM »
Quite an interesting post, Bob. It prompted me to look up Lombard's Leviathan cohort, the Kohl eyed Haza. Haza was played by Robin Lane. She seems to have led quite an interesting life. There are only two other credits on her imdb listing and they sound like drive in fare. Incoming Freshmen and Teenage Tramp. Sounds like quite the double feature, doesn't it?
But she's also a lifetime member of The Actors Studio, as well as a licensed psychotherapist. Quite the multitasking!
She also hosts and produces a talk show called Bad Ass Women Over 50. Maybe we can suggest TLATKLS as a guest.
Her website is robinlanenyc.com
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 01:29:23 AM »
Uncle Roger,

Yes, Ms. Lane seems to be extremely interesting. I wonder if she or Mr. Lombard ever appeared at any of the DS Festivals in NYC or Los Angeles?

And, I agree that KLS would be a terrific guest on Ms. Lane’s talk show, along with several other of the other female actors on DS. Heck, maybe KLS could even bring the lovely Hazar along at her upcoming meet-and-greet event at Lyndhurst in October?

“Incoming Freshmen” and “Teenage Tramp” sound like a double-feature at the Collinsport Drive-In, that Buzz Hackett and Willie Loomis would have taken Carolyn Stoddard and the never-seen Roxanne, respectively, to catch on a particularly moonlit night at that popular local  “make-out” spot overlooking Collinsport Bay.  [easter_kiss] [easter_cool] [easter_evil]

Bob

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 01:45:50 AM »
To my knowledge, neither Lombard nor Lane has ever appeared at any DS event of any kind. I wonder if they were ever invited.
I wonder if Robin Lane would find any potential clients for her couch at Lyndhurst!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 02:00:41 AM »
Maybe Ms. Lane could provide her potential clients with a personalized “cameo,” including some of her best advice pertaining to problems of a “personal” nature?  [easter_huh] [easter_rolleyes] [easter_shocked] [easter_wink]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 08:06:56 AM »
It's all very interesting -- thank you both!! [Jumping Bunny]
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 02:59:09 PM »
Yes, all very interesting. Thanks for sharing your research, BtB and Uncle Roger.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 03:45:23 PM »
Interesting . . . depending on state regulations, almost anyone can call themselves a "psychotherapist," so I was a bit skeptical - until I saw that she does have a Ph.D. It sounds like her acting career has primarily been in the theater.

I do vaguely remember the few scenes with Oberon and Haza but haven't seen that segment of DS in maybe 25 years (unbelievable!). Perhaps I should revisit instead of always going back to my favorite, 1840. I remember the "previous time period" storylines in greater detail, but my childhood viewing seemed to be pretty much the contemporary storylines.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 11:42:40 PM »
Another performer, who transitioned from acting to psychotherapy is Regina Baff. I saw Ms. Baff in the Ira Levin play, “Veronica’s Room,” an eerie production, which both Nicholas Blair and Judah Zachary would have thoroughly enjoyed. The great Arthur Kennedy and the great Eileen Heckart (also of “The Bad Seed” fame) also appeared in this gripping and disturbing thriller.

Regina Baff appeared as a partygoer in “The Great Gatsby” along with KLS and Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. You might also remember Ms. Baff as the kindhearted wife of the suicidal law student in “The Paper Chase” with Timothy Bottoms and John Houseman.

Anyway, Ms. Baff attained a Ph.D. in psychology and is now a psychotherapist in NYC. Maybe she’s also been a guest on Robin Lane’s radio program?

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 04:23:44 PM »
Apparently this sort of career transition is a bit more common than I thought. Melody Anderson, who played Dale Arden in the 1980 redo of Flash Gordon and spent a few years on All My Children, retired from acting and is now a licensed therapist and social worker. She still makes occasional appearances at autograph shows.
My favorite story is that of Margaret Klenck who spent several years on OLTL as Edwina Lewis. She left acting and became a Jungian analyst in private practice in NYC. She also teaches and lectures. Her career transition took place around the time that The New York Times and Variety both ran her obituary. Except it wasn't her. Klenck was and is still alive. The person who actually passed away was an actress who happened to be named Edwina Lewis. Just a little mistake, compounded by the fact that the deceased was quite a bit older than Klenck and a completely different race.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 12:37:51 AM »
Yes, I remember seeing the lovely Melody Anderson being interviewed about her change of careers. As I recall, Ms. Anderson was not very pleased when, after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and several southern states and hundreds of New Orleans residents were evacuated to the old Astrodome in Houston, former First  Lady Barbara Bush said at that time, that those New Orleans residents were probably much better off in the overcrowded Astrodome than if they had all remained in storm-devastated New Orleans. Ms. Anderson opined that the condescending-sounding Mrs. Bush might have just as well said, “Let them eat cake.”

That’s very funny about the two women named “Edwina Lewis.” It reminds me of the jokes made at the annual Friar’s Club, where comedian Billy Crystal would ask if the seemingly ageless Abe Vigoda was still alive. 

When Mr. Vigoda was only 51, he appeared in “The Godfather” as late-sixty-something mobster, Salvatore Tessio. And, on DS, Mr. Vigoda (at age 48) portrayed the 87-year-old jeweler, Ezra Braithwaite and, later, the also elderly Otis Green. On, “Barney Miller,” Mr. Vigoda also portrayed the much older (age 63) NYC Police
detective, Phil Fish.

It seems that the former DS actor was quite adept at portraying much older characters throughout his long and distinguished career.