Author Topic: 10 Underappreciated Horror Movies That Were Ahead Of Their Time  (Read 144 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Underappreciated Horror Movies That Were Ahead Of Their Time
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 02:32:22 AM »
I'm surprised.  Other than American Psycho and Jennifer's Body, I've seen all these films.  Eight out of ten; not bad for me.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 06:39:00 PM »
Those two are among the ones I have seen - in fact, I own them both on DVD.

The two I've never seen are Peeping Tom and, believe it or not, Night Of The Living Dead. But then the one horror genre that I've never been into is zombies.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 01:27:56 AM »
You've never seen Night of the Living Dead, MB?  Well, you take yourself to your favorite chair or devan and you stay there until you find it on some streaming thingy and watch it.  And then you are to write a hundred word essay on lined paper about it - and neatly, too.  That's like saying you've never seen The Wizard of Oz.  While you are not an aficionado of the zombie genre (they're called "ghouls" in the film), it is a classic not only because of the way it was produced by university students from Pittsburgh on a limited budget and the values were still extraordinary (and the plot will stun you), but because it changed cinematic history:  it is the movie that brought about the ratings system (originally G, M, R and X), especially after an article penned by Roger Ebert who saw a matinee performance in a theater filled with children.  He was unnerved that they were permitted to watch such an intense movie and called for reform (he did like the movie, regardless). 

And, by all means, watch Peeping Tom.  Like Psycho of the same time period, this British gem is one of the first "slasher" movies to come out, predating such later classics by decades like Black Christmas and Halloween.  An incredible movie, it's one of those discussed and analyzed by cinematic experts of the horror genre.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 07:17:14 AM »
Actually, even though the zombies are the main problem (in Night of the Living Dead), the movie is more about the human reactions and interactions, and those parts are what make it good.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but the movie was shot in the vicinity here.  And the host of the Saturday night Chiller Theater, which showed 2 horror movies each week, Bill "Chilly Billy" Cardille, was the reporter in the movie.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 10:39:51 PM »
MB, I'm not into zombie movies either.  "Night of the Living Dead" freaked me out so much that it's the first and last one I've seen.  Me, watch "The Walking Dead"?  Nope nope nope.

Josette, I remembered you mentioning the locations and thought of you when Guy Haines posted some photos on Fb not long ago at the cemetery, standing in for Barbara and her brother.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 02:03:36 AM »
I lived in Pittsburgh for several years and they had a NotLD festival of sorts with a presentation of the film in the theater where it premiered.  What was, well, I don't want to call it "fun," for the audience familiar with the locale, was watching the scenes with the "emergency broadcasts" on the TV in the secured house of the survivors, following the announcer giving updates during the "crisis" while beneath him appeared all the towns and villages we were familiar with stating what served as the "emergency shelters" for the populace.  As the name of each town, village, vicinity, etc., appeared, audience members would react with an awe. 

Gerard