Author Topic: Can You Conquer This ’60s TV Show Quiz?  (Read 217 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Can You Conquer This ’60s TV Show Quiz?
« on: July 09, 2023, 05:40:56 PM »
Can You Conquer This ’60s TV Show Quiz?

I was just taking this quiz because, well, I can't resist them and a photo of Leonard Nimoy from Mission Impossible came up with the choice that it might be from DS. Okaaay - but I would hope that even if someone wasn't around for '60s TV they would still know that Leonard Nimoy was never on DS. But who knows?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Conquer This ’60s TV Show Quiz?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 12:27:34 AM »
I only got one wrong - the only show on the list I never heard of - and probably watched, whether regularly or occasionally, well over 90% of them.  It's so hard to believe the '60's were so seemingly long ago.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 12:47:16 AM »
I got 61 out of 61 questions correct. Then again, maybe that’s something not to be proud of?  [easter_huh] [easter_rolleyes] [easter_grin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 12:56:31 AM »
I got one wrong, too - I didn't get Patrick McGoohan's Danger Man correctly. I've never even heard of that show, though that may be because, after I looked it up, I learned I was only four when it came out, or because it was never syndicated in my area. Though even if it was syndicated in my area, who knows what sort of station it may have been on? Back when I was four I only remember watching the three networks, ABC, NBC & CBS.

Now, if it had been McGoohan's The Prisoner, that I would have gotten...

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 01:36:15 AM »
I got one wrong, too - I didn't get Patrick McGoohan's Danger Man correctly. I've never even heard of that show, though that may be because, after I looked it up, I learned I was only four when it came out, or because it was never syndicated in my area. Though even if it was syndicated in my area, who knows what sort of station it may have been on? Back when I was four I only remember watching the three networks, ABC, NBC & CBS.

Now, if it had been McGoohan's The Prisoner, that I would have gotten...

MB,

Yes, “The Prisoner” was an absolutely great show from the 1960s. I remember that Channel 2, the local station in NYC l, ran this truly unique show in early Saturday evenings during the summer of 1968. I never missed an episode, watching to see if “Number 6” did manage to escape from that eerie village.

I also remember Patrick McGoohan as British secret agent John Drake in “Danger Man,” which was called “Secret Agent” in the USA. In fact, many fans of both shows believed that John Drake was also “Number
6.” However, Patrick McGoohan denied that they were the same character.

I believe that British actress Valerie French, the wife of DS’s own Thayer David, appeared in an episode of “The Prisoner,” entitled, “Living in Harmony.”

“Number 6’s” time in “The Village,” sort of reminded me of the “Dream Curse” on DS. Were  “Number 6” and the Dream Curse “participants” actually living through these weird experiences or were they all just imagining it
or strung out on drugs?

It would have been great fun to have seen Barnabas, Willie, Maggie, Roger and even the sartorially-splendid Dameon Edwards also each check in for a “vacation” at “The Village,” which is located on the beautiful coast of Portmeirion, Wales.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 02:55:55 AM »
Hi gang I got 59 out of 61 there was one I got wrong can’t remember now which one it was .
I’m proud of all of us we know our 60’s !!
Thanks MB for posting this it was fun .
Anne 👍👍👍😁😁😁😁
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 07:46:44 AM »
I missed 4.  There were a few I didn't know, but the other 3 choices were obviously wrong, so I got those.  And one, where I had 2 possible choices, I fortunately guessed the right one (the "Danger Man" MB mentioned).  I didn't know Gunsmoke was set in Kansas, so missed that one.  A couple of others, I probably should have guessed right, but obviously didn't.
Josette

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 01:54:16 PM »
I got them all. I remembered Danger Man/Secret Agent which was a staple of WNEW back then. How I remembered some of those obscure shows is a miracle unto itself. And why I remember some of them is a question I'm not sure I am able to answer.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 01:25:38 AM »
I got one wrong, too - I didn't get Patrick McGoohan's Danger Man correctly. I've never even heard of that show

That's the one I missed, too, MB.  I've never heard of it.

Gerard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2023, 01:33:13 AM »

I also remember Patrick McGoohan as British secret agent John Drake in “Danger Man,” which was called “Secret Agent” in the USA.

Okay, Bob, so Danger Man was Secret Agent in the US?  Do you mean the TV show that used the theme "Secret Agent, Man?"  Its chorus was "Secret Agent, Man!  Secret Agent, Man!  He's giving you a number and take away your name."  Are those the same show?  If they are, then I would've had a perfect score.

Gerard

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2023, 02:34:03 AM »

I also remember Patrick McGoohan as British secret agent John Drake in “Danger Man,” which was called “Secret Agent” in the USA.

Okay, Bob, so Danger Man was Secret Agent in the US?  Do you mean the TV show that used the
theme "Secret Agent, Man?"  Its chorus was "Secret Agent, Man!  Secret Agent, Man!  He's giving you a number and take away your name."  Are those the same show?  If they are, then I would've had a perfect score.

Gerard

Yes, Gerard, those are the same television shows. And, “Secret Agent Man” was, indeed, the theme song for Patrick McGoohan’s great series, “Secret Agent” in the USA. The song was written by singer/composer Johnny
Rivers (born John Ramistella in NYC in 1942) and the late, great P.F. Sloan, who also wrote such great songs as
“Eve of Destruction” (for Barry McGuire), “Let Me Be,” “You Baby” and “Can I Get To Know You Better” (for The
Turtles)  and “Things I Should Have Said” (for The Grass Roots). I remember seeing Johnny Rivers performing “Secret Agent Man” on “The Midnight Special” way back in the 1970s.

Reportedly, Patrick McGoohan hated the song, “Secret Agent Man” and did not want it used as the theme song for his American series. (I guess that John Drake/“Number 6” was proven wrong about that particular song?  [easter_rolleyes]) Incidentally, “Secret Agent Man” reached Number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1966
and it sold a million copies.

I would have liked to have seen John Drake/“Number 6” visit Collinwood and after meeting with Mrs. Stoddard, Roger, Barnabas, Carolyn, Quentin, Maggie and permanent house guest Julia Hoffman, say to them all in departing the great house:

“Be seeing, you!”  [easter_rolleyes] [easter_shocked] [easter_smiley]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2023, 02:56:53 AM »
I wonder how McGoohan would have reacted to Devo's cover of Secret Agent Man. Or Johnny Rivers, for that matter.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 02:40:42 AM »
Then I guess that means, Bob, that I got a perfect score!  I knew the picture was familiar as was the description, but I knew it as Secret Agent, not Danger Man, but Secret Agent was not among the selections. 

Gerard