Author Topic: Millicent's Wedding  (Read 959 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Millicent's Wedding
« on: April 20, 2002, 06:38:24 AM »
(Other than practical reasons - such as not having to stage a big wedding and speeding the story along), I couldn't figure out what the haste was with the wedding.  Nathan certainly wanted it immediately, and apparently Millicent just wanted to go along with anything he wanted.  They had been planning a big wedding for Barnabas and Josette.  The story started out with Nathan bringing the invitations for Naomi to look at.  It's soon after all of the family deaths, however, everyone has stopped wearing mourning clothes.  A family like the Collinses, and Millicent herself, with all of her money, surely would have wanted to put on a big wedding.

And, given the small wedding they did have, it seems funny that the Countess wouldn't have gone (obviously they didn't want another actor, but something could have been said to indicate that she had attended!).
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Millicent's Wedding
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2002, 09:08:31 AM »
I imagine it was because of the limited budget they had, likewise though, it was always a disappointment not being able to witness such events as a wedding. The funny thing is that whenever one of these weddings take place, it's almost always an unhappy union of some sorts, either with one partner not really wanting to go through with it (Barnabas & Angelique, Jason & Liz) or family members are against the whole thing.
As for the Countess, you're right, they could have given some plausible excuse for her absence, such as she's still in mourning for her niece, which would have been understandable.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2002, 10:40:50 PM »
What stunned me more than the speed of the wedding was that Milicent was apparently not going to tell Daniel about her plans until the morning of the wedding, if not later.  Was she planning to simply come home on Nathan's arm and break the news to him out of the blue?

ProfStokes

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2002, 10:48:58 PM »
Nathan had succesfully blackmailed Joshua into allowing him to marry Millicent, and he figured the faster they married, the more quickly he could get his hands on her fortune, which is his only real desire in this union.

DARK SHADOWS never had good weddings that lasted for days and days, like other soaps.  

SPOILER AHEAD!!!

Even when Carolyn Stoddard, the primary Collins child, got married, it was a quickie affair with very little preparation or fanfare.  

And in the final storyline, 1841PT, there are weddings galore, nearly all off-camera elopements, with one very quick one in the Collinwood drawing room (Morgan and Catherine).  

I guess Curtis didn't appreciate how much the ladies love weddings.  Barnabas' wedding to Angelique was so fast, almost without thought, yet that woman haunted him based on those vows FOREVER!

Love, Robin  

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2002, 12:06:18 AM »
I guess Curtis didn't appreciate how much the ladies love weddings.

I never got this.  Weddings on daytime TV are huge ratings grabbers, and were so even back then.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Nancy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2002, 02:17:08 AM »

I never got this.  Weddings on daytime TV are huge ratings grabbers, and were so even back then.

Luciaphil

They sure are.  But anyone who doesn't want to spend the money to make the show look sharp and professional isn't about to spend the money to hire extras and pay contract players for a big wedding.  

Nancy

Offline casper_collins

• DON BRISCO IS GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2002, 09:10:04 PM »
well dan curtis had an answer for saving money on extras.....just use crowd sound effects.....so they could have had a GIGANTIC wedding at s small price.....