Author Topic: Another Potential Outlet For DS?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another Potential Outlet For DS?
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:56:28 PM »
Though not necessarily the original series:

On-demand scare channel will debut on cable, online, and, later, wirelessly.
April 10, 2006

Comcast and Sony Pictures Entertainment said Monday they'll introduce an on-demand network that delivers horror and thriller programs through the Internet, cable TV, and wireless devices.

The network will be introduced on cable and the Internet by Halloween, then later over wireless services. The channel will include material from both the Sony and MGM film and TV libraries.

Comcast and Sony, along with the buyout firms Providence Equity Partners, Texas Pacific Group, and DLJ Merchant Banking Partners, acquired the MGM library in September 2004 for $4.8 billion cash, beating out Time Warner.

Comcast and Sony said at the time of the MGM library acquisition that they planned to create new distribution platforms for the content. The Internet, on-demand video, and wireless multiplatform approach is a sign of those efforts.

The companies see great potential for the network, which has not yet been named. They say the horror and thriller genre grosses more than $1 billion a year and often features top Hollywood stars. They also point out that 20 percent of the movies released by the major studios last year were in this genre.

In addition, the genre appeals to the highly desirable demographic group of 18- to 34-year-old viewers. The companies plan to offer advertising targeted to that group.

Sci-Fi Footsteps
The channel will compete with many existing outlets for horror films, including the Sci-Fi Channel, which often features horror shows. Sci-Fi has also moved in recent years away from rebroadcasting old horror TV series such as Dark Shadows and producing more original content.

The companies plan to offer about 40 hours of movies and TV shows initially and another 70 hours in the future. The companies may also decide to start a regular linear cable channel in the future, in addition to the on-demand model they will use when the channel premieres.

The movies on the channel will include Silence of the Lambs, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Panic Room, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil, and Bram Stoker's Dracula. The TV shows have not yet been set, but they may include The Outer Limits, Forever Knight, and Poltergeist: The Legacy.

To read the entire article, check out: Comcast, Sony Team on Horror

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Another Potential Outlet For DS?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »
Do we dare begin to hope for the possibility of a new Dark Shadows?

I'm not sure I want to go down that road again....sigh..... [angry7]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:30:16 AM »
Sci-Fi Footsteps
The channel will compete with many existing outlets for horror films, including the Sci-Fi Channel, which often features horror shows. Sci-Fi has also moved in recent years away from rebroadcasting old horror TV series such as Dark Shadows and producing more original content.

Except most of their "original" content is either absolutely HORRIBLE movies based on other blockbuster scifi/horror movies, or TV series based on other older TV series.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 02:16:01 AM »
MB, thank you very much; this was very informative.

A few odds & ends; Arashi, I could not agree with you more...but, does anyone know what Sci-Fi's numbers (viewers) looks like? Daytime v. primetime? (I would not hazard a guess how to obtain this info, but I think it could be very interesting.)

Next, MB mentions 'wirelessly'...now, there may be a few under 30 people here; but, how many people actually view stuff 'live' on their cell phones (and I'm sure soon, their ipods)? Alot of our kids may do this, but IMHO, it's still prohibitively expensive (especially when you're already paying $65/more for cable AND $100ish for cell phone service)!!

Waiting for replies....have a good weekend!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 02:20:59 AM »
Sheesh!....I'd be dancing a jig of joy if my cable bill was 65.00.  It's more than double that and the only premium channel we get is HBO!!!  >:(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 02:48:01 AM »
Well I am all for a new DS project-I mean I think we are a resiliant group here. We all have more suffering to endure. lol
But in all seriousness, with Dan's passing, the new regime will have to regroup and figure out what new DS concept/re-imagination they will want to pitch to any interested network/cable station. As we all know, Dan Curtis was very protective of the DS franchise. Not too long ago, one media reporter wrote that the Sci Fi Channel was looking at the possibility of reviving DS as they did with the new Battlestar Galatica series. Whether that ship has sailed is unknown. The fact remains is that the DS franchise can still be very attractive to a network interested in having a program unlike any other on its schedule.

Offline AKA Laura's Fires

• Junior Poster
  • I see Shadows People...
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows @ FashionState.com!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 07:13:26 PM »
Sci-Fi Footsteps

Except most of their "original" content is either absolutely HORRIBLE movies based on other blockbuster scifi/horror movies, or TV series based on other older TV series.

May I shake my tambourine and shout "AMEN!", or are people here just going to think I'm a drama queen?   ;)
Remember...only YOU can prevent Laura's fires. - Smokey the Bear