Author Topic: Dennis Patrick Film  (Read 88 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Dennis Patrick Film
« on: March 15, 2023, 01:14:46 AM »
The other night, I was surfing on TV and on one of the many movie channels I found a film named Joe.  I had never heard of it before.  Made in 1970, it was about an upper-class, professional Manhattan man (Dennis Patrick) who accidentally kills the hippie-drug-dealer boyfriend of his addicted daughter (Susan Sarandon) after she overdoses from the opioids her boyfriend gave her (she survives).  He teams up with an extremely bigoted lower-class working man named Joe (Peter Boyle) and together they hunt down and kill hippie drug dealers. 

It sounds like a bizarre film and it somehow is while, at the same time, it is not.  You can't stop watching it.  The movie garnered positive reviews and was a box-office success.  If you run across it, give it a watch - you won't be disappointed.

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Patrick Film
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 01:58:45 AM »
Hi Gerard , will have to check thst out. Thanks for sharing. Hope things are good with you.
Love, Anne ❤️
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Patrick Film
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 04:24:15 PM »
Oh, “Joe” is one of the classics of the 1970s, released while DS was still on the air in 1970. I especially enjoy “Joe” because it featured the late Bob O’Connell, my all-time favorite DS actor (Blue Whale bartender Bob Rooney), in a scene with fellow DS actor, the late and beloved Dennis Patrick.

At one of the DS Festivals, Mr. Patrick had the assembled DS fans in stitches as he recalled filming the orgy scene in “Joe” with fellow actor Peter ”Frank Barone” Boyle and several rather attractive, unclad, young
actresses. Along with Mr. Patrick’s ribald remembrances of “Joe” and his wonderfully wicked limericks, “Paul Stoddard” had everyone laughing uproariously!  [easter_evil] [nods] [easter_grin] Needless to say, Abigail Collins and the Reverend Trask would not have been amused.  [easter_angry]

“Joe” also featured Susan Sarandon in one of her first film appearances. Peter Boyle’s character of Joe Curran has also been said to be the inspiration for the legendary Archie Bunker of “All in the Family” fame.

Yes, “Joe” is one those landmark films, along with “The French Connection,” “Taxi Driver” and “Shaft” to illustrate the zeitgeist of the 1970s. I bet that Barnabas would have enjoyed watching “Joe” with Vicky or Roxanne at the Collinsport Cinema.  [easter_shocked] [easter_rolleyes] [easter_wink]