Author Topic: A View of South Wales  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
A View of South Wales
« on: April 11, 2006, 01:33:36 PM »
One of my favorite episodes in all of DS is when [spoiler]Dr. Julia Hoffman tracks Quentin's portrait, disguised by a painting by Charles Delaware Tate of a landscape, "A view of South Wales," to its current owner, Conde-Nast type tycoon Schuyler "Sky" Rumson... only to learn that Rumson bought the painting as a gift for his wife... none other than Angelique, the former Mrs. Barnabas Collins!  I just love how the two actresses play the scene... and so far as I am aware, this is the last time we see the two together in their fully-developed personalities; when next Julia sees Angelique, she's more or less an amnesiac living in 1840.  But, I digress... I had kind of an ugly day yesterday, and when I settled in at home decided to watch this episode again.[/spoiler]

I was very amused to see that the bill Dr. Hoffman found in Harrison Monroe's papers for the painting actually listed the work's title as "Q View of South Wales"!  Evidently, somebody on the production team had quite the sense of humor.  And although I own the episode as an MPI VHS, it was clear enough to spot what was going on. Too rich!

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: A View of South Wales
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:08:52 PM »
I don't get that.   Anyway, Angelique is hardly an amnesiac in 1840.   She just happens to be a native of 1840, who has no foreknowledge of anything that happens after 1840.   Why should she?   She didn't forget anything.   She just hasn't experienced anything else yet.    Do I even need to explain this?   Sorry if I seem to be rude here.   I don't want to be.    Seeing Angelique in other times can be confusing.    
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 04:59:15 PM »
Anyway, Angelique is hardly an amnesiac in 1840.   She just happens to be a native of 1840, who has no foreknowledge of anything that happens after 1840.
I think Gothick was saying that Angelique wasn't actually an amnesiac but may as well have been since she had no knowledge of their former/future relationship and events.  At least, that's how I read it.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 11:08:49 PM »
I was very amused to see that the bill Dr. Hoffman found in Harrison Monroe's papers for the painting actually listed the work's title as "Q View of South Wales"!  Evidently, somebody on the production team had quite the sense of humor.  And although I own the episode as an MPI VHS, it was clear enough to spot what was going on. Too rich!

I'll totally have to look for that when I get to that boxset. I can't WAIT to get to those episodes, that scene is absolutely classic. I *love* Leviathan-era Angelique. Personally I'm struggling through the almost-to-Eve Adam storyline, whose only saving grace so far for me has been the absolutely ADORABLE performance being put on by John Karlen.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:54:18 AM »
 The problem with Angelique not remembering anything in 1840, is the fact that [spoiler]she DID remember the 1968 Cassandra events during Barnabas' brief jaunt to 1796 in his effort to save Vicki.[/spoiler]

I would have to assume Angie's master must have mind-wiped her as some form of punishment for getting herself [spoiler]destroyed by Barnabas and Ben in 1796,[/spoiler] thus leaving her with no memory of future events in 1840.

If you check out this thread-- 
"Major flaw in the 1897 storyline"
- there is some discussion of the Angelique timeline.  In that thread, I worked up three distinct, if confusing, timelines for Angelique. (1.) The original unaltered timeline  (2.) The post-Cassandra timeline - essentially Angelique's second go-around at life  (3.) The altered 1840 timeline.

By the by, that episode you mention Gothick was indeed a wonderful one!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 12:30:55 AM »
i didn't pay as much attention as i should have during barnabas' trip back to the year 1796(because i thought it was pointless)to save vicki but this has me stumped.

in 1968 didn't vampirelique's "master" send her back to hell?i don't remember her simply being sent back to 1796.why would he bother to do that?

was this just another continuity gaffe the writers thought they could get away with or was angelique's resumed presence in 1796 explained?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 01:09:39 AM »
I believe it was said that she was sent back to 1796 as a result of her actions in 1968 and that she had to stay there as punishment...[spoiler]and that's why she tries to trap Barnabas into staying there with her by saying she'll save Vicki from hanging.[/spoiler]

The time lines make my head hurt.  :P

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:58:57 AM »
Steve,
What episode # is this?

xx
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 11:07:37 PM »
Hi Connie!  Sorry, I just saw this question from you today.  I'll check and let you know.

cheers, Steve