Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #149 -- '06 Fest Highlights & Info, Pre-Barn eps on DVD, etc.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Online Dark Shadows News Updates List
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Update List
ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 149.   April 10, 2006.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

--- NEW SHADOWGRAM NEWSLETTER ISSUE NOW AVAILABLE

The latest published issue, SG #107, is being mailed now to all current postal-mail subscribers and will be mailed to new subscribers and renewing subscribers as well. Subscription/renewal information follows later in this Update.

PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EXCLUSIVE FEATURES OF SG #107 FOLLOW.

----- A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT THIS SG #107:

***   I consider this to be Part 1 of 2 full-size companion issues, SG #107 and SG #108. This SG #107 presents special memorial information about Dan Curtis' death. It also premiere-announces breaking news for the DS Festival's 40th Anniversary Celebration in Brooklyn in August; planned new DS audiodramas on CD; new DVD releases from MPI; and all the latest news and information from and about the original 1966-71 DS cast/crew.

This is an expanded SG issue due to an abundance of material. The regular SG sections featuring news for the 1991 DS personnel and the 2004 WB pilot personnel, plus updates for the news in this SG #107, all will be in SG #108, to follow soon. That SG #108 also will have more exclusive pictures of Dan, the latest for the Fest Celebration and the coming merchandise, and more news from and about the individual cast/crew members of all DS versions. By publishing 2 full issues close together, I can include the latest complete news developments and share more photos.

If your current postal-mail subscription extends past SG #107, you will get both newsletters within a few weeks of each other. You always can tell the final issue on your subscription by looking at the X # on your address label or envelope. New subscribers/renewals will receive both issues and future ones as well.

If your subscription ends with SG #107, you will need to renew to receive the second newsletter, SG #108. A renewal slip stapled inside this issue and red markings in 3 places indicate if this is your final SG. If SG #108 is your last issue, it will be so marked. You can renew at any time.

I will announce publication of SG #108 on this Updates List when it is being mailed.

****** SG #107 HIGHLIGHTS:

*** DAN CURTIS (DS Creator/Producer/Director) is honored upon his March 27 death with special memorial material. (See SG Update #148, dated March 27)

This includes never-before-seen pictures of him and his late wife Norma on-set during filming of the 1991 DS series as well as details, and the complete memorial booklet, from his March 30 funeral service. Individualized obituaries from the Los Angeles Times and New York Times also are in this SG. More pictures of Dan and Norma and media obituaries / tributes will be in the upcoming SG #108.

*** Obituary notices and photos of PAULA LAURENCE, honoring her and her extensive acting/singing career after her 10-29 death. (See SG Online Update #145)

*** ShadowGram # 107 Premiere Announcement:

--- New DS Audio Dramas on CD, read by original cast members, are being developed by Big Finish Productions. Title, storyline, and other details are not yet determined.. Plans call for the first of a possible series of audio plays to debut at the August Fest and be available afterward through mail-order and retail sources.

Big Finish Productions is based in the United Kingdom and produces audio plays for a number of popular British science fiction properties, most notably "Dr. Who." Confirmed details and future DS projects will be announced on this List and in SG print issues.

*** ShadowGram # 107 Premiere Announcements - 2006 DS Festival:

--- The DS Festival's 40th Anniversary Celebration is at the Marriott Hotel at the Brooklyn Bridge, NY, from Aug. 25-27. SG #107 premiere-announces these planned programming highlights:

Several of the guest cast members participate in a staged reading of the scripts from DS Episodes #1 and # 2.

Nancy Barrett presents a special anniversary musical performance.

Lara Parker reads from her new novel "DS - The Salem Branch."

David Selby reads from his new book "A Better Place."

Screening of the 2004 WB pilot.

Memorial Tribute to Dan Curtis.

Group Trip to South Street Seaport and Museum in Lower Manhattan on Fri., Aug. 27, before Fest programming opens that evening.

Banquet With the Stars on the evening of Sun., Aug. 29. Several of the guests will be randomly seated at tables with the fans for a full meal and special programming.

Volunteer fans help in several capacities. Those who volunteer 4+ hours are invited to a private party joined by some DS guests. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator as soon as possible. E-mail or SASE to   Nina Johnson, 411 Victoria Dr., Columbia, MO 65201-3636. ds_volunteers@hotmail.com  OR  n_ogle_johnson@hotmail.com

Fans often seek hotel roommates to meet others and to split expenses. An informal assisatnce service puts inquiring fans in touch with each other to make their own arrangements. Please contact Hotel Roommates Referrals as soon as possible; do not wait too long. E-mail or SASE to   Pam Jarman, P.O. Box 45674, Los Angeles, CA 90045. pljarman@hotmail.com This roommate service has nothing to do with actual room reservations. You must contact the hotel directly for those (see List Update #146 or this SG #107 print issue).

*** ShadowGram # 107 Premiere Announcements:

--- MPI asks SG to announce these planned new 40th Anniversary Comemorative DVDs:

DVD Collection #26, due in Sept., will have the final 19 episodes of the original DS. There also is a special "Beyond the Shadows" epiologue narrated by Roger Davis, compilations never released on DVD, and 2 new featurettes: "DS - The Salem Branch" and "Remembering Dan Curtis."

In Nov., the 40th Anniversary DVD will include bloopers and music videos, plus rare bonus material to be announced.

DVD Collection #27 in Feb., 2007, will bring the pre-Barnabas B&W episodes to DVD for the first time. The set begins with Episode #1, Victoria Winters' arrival in Collinsport.

Subsequent bi-monthly DVD sets are projected until Barnabas is introduced in Oct., 2007. Since MPI's DVD releases started with his first appearance, all 1225 episodes thus will be available on DVD as of that point.

*** ShadowGram #107 Highlights - 1966-71 DS Personnel

--- Congratulations! to NANCY BARRETT (Carolyn, Millicent, Charity, Leticia, Melanie) on her December marriage to Stuart Leichter.

--- JONATHAN FRID (Barnabas, Bramwell) kindly shares a recent photo of himself.

--- LARA PARKER (Angelique, Cassandra, Alexis, Valerie, Miranda, Catherine) offers more thoughts on her new novel "DS: The Salem Branch," published by Tor Books on July 11.

--- JERRY LACY (Tony Peterson, Rev. Task, Gregory Trask, Lamar Trask) updates news about his family.

--- PAUL MICHAEL (King Johnny Romano) and his wife, actress MARION ROSS ("Happy days" and more) share their holiday greetings card.

--- MARY McKINLEY-HAAS (1840 Costume Designer) shares a recent photo of herself.

--- ALEXANDRA MOLTKE ISLES (Victoria) is seen in an Oct. , 2005 photo.

--- More media obituaries for HENRY KAPLAN (Director), who died 9-14 at age 79.

--- DAVID SELBY (Quentin) participated in the West Virginia Book Festival in Charleston in Oct. and at the "Explore-A-Story" benefit for the Wonder of Reading organization in Hollywood in Mar. SG #107
features a picture of him as record company executive "Rob Polan" in the upcoming independent film "Spin." SG #107 also has details about his other recent films.

--- MARIE WALLACE (Eve, Mad Jenny, Megan) tells SG #107 about her recent photography projects. She continues to offer autographed copies of her memoir "On Stage & In Shadows" with a bonus signed photo and a personalized note. She also kindly shares 2 of her photos from the Hollywood DS Festival in July, 2005.

Thank you.
Marcy Robin

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram wrote:
2006 DS Festival:

Hmm, this exchange comes to mind...
As for the pilot being shown again at the 40th Fest, I really hope it will be. I'd love to get the chance to see it again - and I'd especially like to see other fans get the opportunity to see it because it really should be seen by as many fans as possible. But according to Shadowgram Update #138's DS Fest "Hollywood Weekend" Report: "The 2004 DS pilot for the WB was shown in an exclusive one-time-only screening." I suppose all we can do is hope that something can and will be worked out to show it again...

Don't believe everything you read in Shadowgram.   [hall2_wink]  I have a sneaking suspician they WILL show it again, since it's the 40th anniversary and everything.

ClaudeNorth

--- The DS Festival's 40th Anniversary Celebration is at the Marriott Hotel at the Brooklyn Bridge, NY, from Aug. 25-27. SG #107 premiere-announces these planned programming highlights:

Several of the guest cast members participate in a staged reading of the scripts from DS Episodes #1 and # 2.

Okay, so who thinks this bit will lead to speculation that Alexandra Moltke Isles is going to be there this year?   ;)

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile

Okay, so who thinks this bit will lead to speculation that Alexandra Moltke Isles is going to be there this year?   ;)

I think that by guest cast members, it means people who weren't originally in the first 2 episodes.  I could be wrong tho.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
One would hopefully mean that as in as many cases actors reprise their original parts. As this is as they say episode 1 and 2,  as sadly some people are now gone. I would say they might consider David for Roger Collins and perhaps Marie for Elizabeth. Again, like many of you I hope this is some slight indication that Alexandra may attend. As Diane said to me today, imagine when SHE speaks "My name is Victoria Winters..." The crown might not die down for 10 minutes, lol.  :D

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
oh my...

hearing alexandra recite her episode one voiceover.i think i might weep! ::)

mitch ryan was another key player in episodes one and two and he never attends the fests either.all of this lends itself to some serious speculation.

it will be fun if kls reprises her "sassy waitress" bit or if nancy barrett gyrates as she did at the blue whale in epiosdes two.i'll bet she's still got in in her.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
ShadowGram wrote:
2006 DS Festival:

Hmm, this exchange comes to mind...
As for the pilot being shown again at the 40th Fest, I really hope it will be. I'd love to get the chance to see it again - and I'd especially like to see other fans get the opportunity to see it because it really should be seen by as many fans as possible. But according to Shadowgram Update #138's DS Fest "Hollywood Weekend" Report: "The 2004 DS pilot for the WB was shown in an exclusive one-time-only screening." I suppose all we can do is hope that something can and will be worked out to show it again...

Don't believe everything you read in Shadowgram.   [hall2_wink]  I have a sneaking suspician they WILL show it again, since it's the 40th anniversary and everything.

Yeah, I've said it from the get go that I felt VERY strongly they'd show it again because it was the 40th Anniversary AND it hadn't been screened on the east coast.  I'm not surprised at all.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
I'm not surprised at all.   8)
I had to pick myself up off the floor after reading it -- not from shock, from laughter.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised at all.   8)
I had to pick myself up off the floor after reading it -- not from shock, from laughter.  ;D

Hey, I'm waiting for them to say Frid's coming just to get ppl in the door, LOL!    ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"