Author Topic: If you lived at Collinwood . . .  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: If you lived at Collinwood . . .
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2002, 07:18:31 PM »
But, still, is there a way to place the main doors in context of the whole building?  For example, your first pictue (yesterday) shows a lot of it, including the tower, sort of in the middle.  But, on those long shots there's no way to see the close up parts, and I keep wondering where the doors would be!  That's one reason I suggested that maybe it's on the other side and can't be indicated in that view at all.

To see a wide shot of the front of the house, try these:

30th Anniversary DS Almanac, p. 101

Millenium Almanac, p. 211

What you're seeing in these old B & Ws is the opposite corner of the view of the back of the house that you're accustomed to seeing.  You can make out the tip of the tower peeking over the roofline in both shots.  Those 3 arched stained glass windows to the left of the portico (visible in the Millenium photo) just beyond where Vlad imagines the study would be are over the REAL main interior staircase, which as Karen_#2 explained isn't to the right of the foyer like it is on the Collinwood set, though there are also stained glass windows in the Seaview/Carey foyer as well; just no staircase.

If you don't have either edition of the Almanac, a duplicate of the 1st pic is on this DS website--

http://members.tripod.com/~DouglasHayes/DrkShd.html

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2002, 01:04:48 AM »
Thank you Vlad and Midnite.  From what you said, I figured it was the other side, but I was hoping for an answer relating to the posted picture rather than the view seen in the opening.  (Of course, I could have gone back to the tape and checked out which view they show - I normally don't pay that much attention to it!!!).  It seemed to me that over time, we've seen different views, so while this one may have been the most common, I assumed the other side must have shown up at some point.

Anyway, I have the Millennium Almanac and then checked out your link to the other one.  Really nice!!  It's good that the tip of the tower shows up - as it helps to relate the other view to that one.  I think the portico was kind of throwing me off, too.  I was sure I had seen other views of the building at some point, and just couldn't relate to that.  It's particularly nice that the Millennium version has a much closer view of the "other side" with the more normal one immediately underneath so that one can study them together.

Thanks for the info!!
Josette

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2002, 05:53:05 AM »
I think I would like to have the Cottege too.  It's set away from the main house, would have some privacy, I loved the fireplace/mantle.  It just looks like a cozy place to live.  Reminds me of a summer cabin my aunt and uncle used to have at the beach.
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2002, 05:55:21 AM »
Ah oh, ooooops!
I sent this to the wrong posting!  That was a bright thing to do.

I should of shut down my browser when I disconnected from the net then re logged in to the forum.    ::)
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2002, 04:06:10 AM »

3 arched stained glass windows to the left of the portico (visible in the Millenium photo) just beyond where Vlad imagines the study would be are over the REAL main interior staircase, which as Karen_#2 explained isn't to the right of the foyer like it is on the Collinwood set, though there are also stained glass windows in the Seaview/Carey foyer as well; just no staircase.

Where Vlad imagines the study to be located!?!   >:(

I can pinpoint precisely where the study is in that photo you've linked us to  ;D ... and it is just as I thought, in a cozy little nook, though I admit the stained glass windows just to the left, around the corner, came as a surprise!  Now if we can just figure out what part of Collinwood that is ...

:)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995