Author Topic: 10 Overrated Films You'll Regret Wasting Your Time On: Rosemary's Baby (WHAT?!)  (Read 132 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
10 Overrated Films You'll Regret Wasting Your Time On:

I can't believe Rosemary's Baby is on this list! The film is truly a classic. But then some people just can't seem to appreciate psychological horror. And in that regard one need consider nothing more than the comment that at least the baby should have bitten a nurse or something.  ::)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
And The Godfather, another movie I can watch again and again, along with Part II.  I will admit, though, I tried to watch the entire Avatar and never could.  I tried four times with a totally open mind.  I tried, I really tried.  I really, really tried.  Four times.  I never could get through the whole thing.  I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea, but please don't be upset if you're a fan because I did try.  I really, really tried.  I did.  Four times.  I swear.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Gerard,

Yes, the first two Godfather films were absolutely superb. As to the third GF film, that flick was, at best, mezza-mezza (so-so).

I wonder if Barnabas ever watched films at the Collinsport Cinema with Julia and Vicky? Somehow, I think Mr. B. would pass on seeing “Rosemary’s Baby,” “The Exorcist” and, especially, “Interview with the Vampire.”  [snow_silly] [snow_smileydevil] [evil-snowman]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Yup, Bob, Part III was, shall we say, not a cinematic gem.  Having Coppola's untalented daughter playing a pivotal role certainly didn't help.  When she got it while in crossfire and succumbed, I thought the audience was going to applaud.

I would find it interesting if Barnabas, when asked about watching the latest chill flicks hitting the theaters, would respond:  "I don't like those kinds of movies.  I'm into westerns myself."

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Given that Barnabas was a shipbuilding man, I suspect he might have really been into films that took place on the high seas...

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Yup, Bob, Part III was, shall we say, not a cinematic gem.  Having Coppola's untalented daughter playing a pivotal role certainly didn't help.  When she got it while in crossfire and succumbed, I thought the audience was going to applaud.

I would find it interesting if Barnabas, when asked about watching the latest chill flicks hitting the theaters, would respond:  "I don't like those kinds of movies.  I'm into westerns myself."

Oh, your comment about Sofia Coppola is cruel, but quite true! [snow_smileydevil]

Actually, I got a bad case of “agita” when I saw that eternally-tanned and unfailingly vacuous pretty-boy, the
seemingly ageless George Hamilton, portraying the great Robert Duvall’s apparent/ersatz replacement as the Corleone family consigliere. Ugh!  [snow_sick2] [snow_silly]

There’s a scene in Godfather III, where you see Andy Garcia and Sofia Coppola in an old-fashioned bar on Mulberry Street; it’s not too far from the very good Grotta Azzura (Blue Gritto) Restaurant also on Mulberry
Street. I was in that bar once with my girlfriend, who was working in that part of lower Manhattan. In fact, I
believe that same bar was also used as gangster Johnny Sac’s NYC headquarters on “The Sopranos.” You’d
often see Johnny Sac and Tony Soprano negotiating over their crooked construction site schemes in that tavern.

I like your idea that Barnabas would express a liking for classic Western films. Barnabas would probably pop over to Collinwood, when he knew that TCM was airing “High Noon” or “Rio Bravo.” Although, I think Barnabas might pass on, one of my personal favorites, “Billy the Kid Versus Dracula,” which the great John Carradine (as the Transylvanian count) said that B-the-K vs D, was THE worst film of his long and distinguished acting career.
 [evil-snowman]

Bob

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
And don't forget that great classic film that had vampires in westerns, 1959's Curse of the Undead. 

Gerard