Author Topic: sloppy time-band  (Read 667 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
sloppy time-band
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:19:16 AM »
now the show often plays fast-and-loose with the time-band.

it's all about suspending disbelief and not taking things too literally.

but i just completed dvd set 20(the first part of 1970pt)and there was one segment that really stood out for me in terms of some sloppy writing.
i don't want to get totally spoilered but let's say there is a moment when quentin suddenly becomes quite "unwell".this occurs while maggie is in new york staying with her sister.fearing that quentin's condition is grave elizabeth phones maggie in new york and suggests that it would be wise for her to return to collinwood as soon as possible.

lo and behold maggie shows up at collinwood later on that same night!now i know one isn't supposed to focus on such mundane realities but come on.how is it supposed to be plausible that maggie is able to book a flight,pack,get to the airport in new york,deal with all the boarding issues,fly to maine,deal with the airport situation there and get to collinwood all in the same night(probably much more difficult in 1970 than it would be today)???

once there this same night continues for several more hours.barnabas is present across these episodes so all of this occured after dark and before dawn the next day?

like i said one really can't focus on things like this but this was glaring for me in the way the writers sometimes felt that they didn't have to bother with normal storytelling techniques.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re: sloppy time-band
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 02:32:16 AM »
I tend to think that the reason Maggie came home so fast, after Elizabeth called her, was that they had a small jet.  Maggie calls them, they await at the airport for her, and she's in Collinsport in least then an hour.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: sloppy time-band
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »
She flew Angelique Rumson airlines out of Little Windward Island.  Extra wiglets and hairpieces supplied free of charge!

G.