Author Topic: Dan Curtis Obituary on Tim Lucas (Video Watchdog) Blog  (Read 1096 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Curtis Obituary on Tim Lucas (Video Watchdog) Blog
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 05:11:45 AM »
ah, well...the link doesn't work, but if you go to videowatchdog.com and click the Tim Lucas Blog link on the left-hand side, it'll take you to his blog where you can find his DC  obit in the March 27th entry.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:23:18 AM »
The link is fixed.  :)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 05:45:46 AM »
'Great' ? Wow, I blush....

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »
How nice. Let me second Tim's emotion that the work on the restoration of the films Darren has spearheaded will continue!

I'm feeling a little less perturbed with Mr. Lucas as a result of reading this.  I've been in something of a stew since reading the reviews of the DVD edition of Danger: Diabolik--the reviews imply it came out, inexplicably, in an incomplete print, in pan and scan, and that the sound mix was off!  Bad puppy!

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 06:56:36 PM »
Steve, where did you read that about Diabolik?

The DVD is completely the opposite from what you've read...

It's definitely widescreen, plus 16x9 enhanced and its original English language dub restored (the previous laserdisc and VHS had used a newly made dub with totally different voices), plus its the longer Italian cut, plus a featurette, a commentary, trailers and a Beastie Boys trailer inspired by the film.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s1625diab.html

And for $9.99 at some local big chains, its a steal (which Diabolik would enjoy, I'm sure!).

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  I did wonder, given Tim's fondness (some would say mania) for all things Bava...

There were a couple of reviews on amazombie which stated that it was pan and scan and the shorter cut.  The most vitriolic was a UK critic, I believe.  Now I wonder whether he got hold of a bootleg, although I believe he made reference to the commentary tracks...

Thanks again!  Next time I need to know the scoop on a cult release, I'll contact you!

Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 07:06:29 PM »
I found an Amazon user review that seems to match the complaints you mentioned, but always take Amazon reviewers with a mountain of salt. This reviewer sounds like a nut, and if a widescreen DVD looks pan n scan to him, he's either on drugs or doesn't have his player set correctly. Every other review I've read is completely glowing, so don't let this boob's review steer you away from this terrific release.

As an aside, though, Tim is a brilliant Bava scholar and commentator, but he's not the disc's producer. As such, he may have a commentary and be in the featurette, but the transfer and sound etc. would all have been supervised and controlled by other people.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53:01 PM »
Thanks, too, for the DVDtalk.com site link.  I've bookmarked it for future reference.

I just looked at the review of the Brokeback Mountain disc and it looks as if NO deleted scenes were included--really the only reason why I was interested in that release in the first place.  such is life.

cheers, Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »
There are rumblings that there will be a 2-disc edition with special features down the line, and I certainly hope so.

The movie itself is good enough for me...but just as an FYI, Steve, if you buy it at Best Buy right now, you get a free copy of the screenplay book which also includes the original story and essays by the author and adaptors. Its a real treat, if you don't have it.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 07:11:19 PM »
I'm referring of course to Brokeback, not Danger Diabolik...