Author Topic: OT: To Those In Buffalo, NY  (Read 218 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
OT: To Those In Buffalo, NY
« on: November 18, 2022, 06:50:21 PM »
 [4176] [3843] [4298]

I don't know whether to be jealous (I love snow) or horrified (but it's only mid-November - and already over 3 feet [shockeyes])...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: OT: To Those In Buffalo, NY
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 07:25:04 PM »
Hi MB , I’m not a fan of snow but please stay safe everyone.Wow four feet.
Yikes ☃️⛄️❄️
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 08:23:33 PM »
MB and Anne,

You’re not going to be hit up in Massachusetts and Binghamton, NY, respectively, are you? I certainly hope not. I saw a report from Buffalo this morning on “The Today Show” and it looked miserable already and on only Nov. 17! We’re not going to be hit in the tri-state area either, thankfully.

I imagine the winter storms in  Collinsport, in Hancock County, Maine must have been awful. M.J. Reid, a wonderful DS writer, once wrote a terrific story concerning a blizzard hitting Collinsport, with all of the DS regulars being snowed in at either Collinwood or the Old House. Of course, the heavy snow did not prevent the resident supernatural locals from causing trouble for everyone.

It would have been neat to have seen winter scenes on the original DS series. I would have liked to have seen Maggie and Joe and Carolyn and Buzz Hackett all tobogganing down the hill adjacent to the Eagle Hill Cemetery. (Maybe the eternally young-at-heart Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker might even join the young people as they slid down the hill?)

Or maybe we might see Barnabas and Julia enjoying a horse-drawn sleigh ride with the able Willie Loomis taking the reins with Christmas songs playing like in that traditional, festive Miller Beer commercial with the mellifluous Gene Barry narrating the commercial spot?

Somehow, although, I don’t think the ever cost-conscious Dan Curtis would want to shell out for such colorful Yuletide scenes on DS, I think the only thing DC might shell-out out for, would be a quick scene of the venerable Matthew Morgan (a/k/a “The ‘Jolly’ Old Saint Nick of Collinwood”) shoveling the snow in front of the entrance to Collinwood. Bah Humbug!  [hall2_angry] [Pump] [hall2_angry]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 09:16:02 PM »
Hi Bob or mrs Johnson ice skating or skiing down eagle hill 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣⛄️☃️
Luckly we didn’t that nasty weather at all.
Anne👍
You"    By Barry Manilow

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 10:20:02 PM »
Hi Bob or mrs Johnson ice skating or skiing down eagle hill 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣⛄️☃️
Luckly we didn’t that nasty weather at all.
Anne👍

Anne,

Yes, I’ll bet that Mrs. Johnson was like a whirling dervish on the ski slope or on a frozen pond in her younger years. Sarah Johnson was probably known as the “Lindsey Vonn/Sonja Henie (or, perhaps Tonja Harding?) of Collinsport, Maine.”  [nods]

Bob, who wishes he was on the beach at Haulover Park in Miami with the bodacious Bathia Mapes right about now.  [hall2_kiss] [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 04:05:42 PM »
MB and Anne,

You’re not going to be hit up in Massachusetts and Binghamton, NY, respectively, are you?

It has been and continues to be cool (40s-50s) and sunny here. It's expected to be 45 today...

Somehow, although, I don’t think the ever cost-conscious Dan Curtis would want to shell out for such colorful Yuletide scenes on DS, I think the only thing DC might shell-out out for, would be a quick scene of the venerable Matthew Morgan (a/k/a “The ‘Jolly’ Old Saint Nick of Collinwood”) shoveling the snow in front of the entrance to Collinwood. Bah Humbug!  [hall2_angry] [Pump] [hall2_angry]

Sadly, I suspect you're completely spot on there. And in all likelihood we wouldn't have gotten something as interesting as when we actually saw location footage of Matthew clipping hedges outside Collinwood as Mrs. Johnson's cab drove up to the portico in Ep #81:

Collinwood, morning - A cab drives up.
Matthew, clipping hedges, stares at it, not pleased at all.

We probably would have gotten Thayer David shoveling fake snow (IF DC would have even sprung for that) outside the doors to the foyer set...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 04:38:07 PM »
Hi MB and Bob either Barnabas using his coffin as a  toboggan to go off widows hill
now that’s a sight for sore eyes 👀
Anne 👍😂🤣
You"    By Barry Manilow

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 11:25:47 PM »
6 FEET in some places!! Even during the Blizzard of '78 we got only 4 feet. Sure, in many places it drifted up to 15 feet, but that was in selected spots. What are the drifts like with this storm?

DC really slipped up not coming up with a storyline like that fanfic where the Collinses were trapped at Collinwood because of excessive snow/drifts with supernatural happenings ensuing. He wouldn't have even had to show much snow because no one could get out of the house.  [hall2_wink] [hall2_grin]

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 12:28:47 AM »
6 FEET in some places!! Even during the Blizzard of '78 we got only 4 feet. Sure, in many places it drifted up to 15 feet, but that was in selected spots. What are the drifts like with this storm?

DC really slipped up not coming up with a storyline like that fanfic where the Collinses were trapped at Collinwood because of excessive snow/drifts with supernatural happenings ensuing. He wouldn't have even had to show much snow because no one could get out of the house.  [hall2_wink] [hall2_grin]

Yes, that DS fan fiction was great in how M. J. Reid described how everyone was confined to either Collinwood
or the Old House as a result of the Buffalo-like snow drifts that had engulfed the grounds of the Collinwood
estate.

In addition, Dr. Hoffman had her hands full, what with Barnabas, who was currently “mortal” and confined to
bed with pneumonia and with Chris Jennings on the “prowl.”

Apparently, Chris could not get into the secret room of the Collins Mausoleum and lock himself up due to the blizzard. So, Julia made sure that she had Barnabas’ silver-headed cane at close hand just in case “Chris” smashed through the front window of the Old
House again! (If there hadn’t been a blizzard, Julia could have driven into town to Braithwaite’s Jewelry Store and gotten old Ezra B. to melt down a piece of the Collins family silverware to make some silver bullets, guaranteed to stop aggressive werewolves and vampires not named Barnabas in their tracks.)

I think Anne has a great idea; it would have been cool to have seen Barnabas and Willie tobogganing down Widow’s Hill in Mr. B.’s banged up coffin!  [hall2_shocked] [hall2_grin]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 10:07:42 PM »
Hey MB, Bob how mrs Johnson in the  Olympics  Competing luge I would pay to see that!!!
😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Anne
You"    By Barry Manilow