Author Topic: Why Didn't Quentin and Gerard Meet as Ghosts?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Why Didn't Quentin and Gerard Meet as Ghosts?
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:25:38 AM »
I know Collinwood is a big place, but how come Quentin and Beth never bumped into Gerard and Daphne in the years when all four of them were ghosts haunting the mansion? 

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Why Didn't Quentin and Gerard Meet as Ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:10:54 AM »
If only Gerard and Daphne were in the minds of the writers in 1968. XD 1840 was just another storyline added after everything that happened in 1970PT, as we all know.

I think that you were looking for a different type of answer, so here you go. Personally, if I were to believe in ghosts haunting houses...they would only exist to affect the present day residents according to how they died and whatnot. They wouldn't have any effect on the "plans" of other ghosts.

On another note, since Gerard was "destined" to destroy Collinwood in 1970 (or so I remember), his ghost wouldn't even start to affect the household until the year in question. Quentin's and Beth's ghosts, on the other hand, were not "released" until they spoke on the old phone. Then, their spirits were put to rest before 1970, therefore quelling any possible "meeting" of ghosts.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 10:03:13 AM »
When you think about it, there were quite a few spectral residents running around.  Not just Quentin and Gerard (along with Beth and Daphne), but the widows, Josette (although she hung out at the Old House), Jeremiah (was he ever put to rest?), and then Bill Malloy made some late guest appearances.  Undoubtedly, they weren't even the only ones.  Yet, somehow, they all managed to "get along," just like Ian said.  Maybe they just had no interest in each other.  Maybe they had some time-share arrangements.  But it's all an interesting question.

Gerard

Offline proudhug

• !!! "Leo" Spotter !!!
  • Junior Poster
  • It's endless ENDLESS!!
    • View Profile
    • CollinWiki
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 01:17:08 PM »
lmao at "time-share agreements".  Hahaha.
Help us create the ultimate  Dark Shadows EncyclopediaLearn everything there is to know about the world of Dark Shadows at the CollinWiki!

http://darkshadows.wikicities.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:44:55 AM »
Gerard..questionable to me since, why would 1970 have special significance to him?   Did I miss something?     Why not 1963, or 2007, or...?

Ghost crowd-control must have been a problem.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
Gerard..questionable to me since, why would 1970 have special significance to him?   Did I miss something?     Why not 1963, or 2007, or...?

I've speculated that Amy's presence at Collinwood revived Quentin's ghost in 1968, so why not Hallie's arrival in 1970?

Ghost crowd-control must have been a problem.

:D

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 05:22:43 PM »
I've speculated that Amy's presence at Collinwood revived Quentin's ghost in 1968, so why not Hallie's arrival in 1970?

That was the only problem I had when I was reading up on 1840 (since I've had the displeasure of not seeing it yet). There was all that big "to-do" over the children...yet they hardly played a part in the 1840 storyline whatsoever. o_O

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 05:13:47 PM »
Not that this idea would actually fit in with the world of Collinwood spiritualism or anything but...I sometimes catch those (Most Haunted, Dead Famous) ghost hunting shows and I heard one of the physchics involved talking about this kind of thing just the other day.  He was referring (I think) to a recent investigation of the Queen Mary.  Someone asked if two of the ghosts who are supposed to be haunting the pool area ever interacted and he said no.  Apparently - and according to those who claim to know - they don't realize the other is there because they only relate to the time period in which they lived/died.  (One of the women died in the 40's and the other in the 60's.)

Maybe the writers were thinking along these same lines.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 11:05:24 PM »
Not that this idea would actually fit in with the world of Collinwood spiritualism or anything but...I sometimes catch those (Most Haunted, Dead Famous) ghost hunting shows and I heard one of the physchics involved talking about this kind of thing just the other day.  He was referring (I think) to a recent investigation of the Queen Mary.

I also caught the Queen Mary show, because I watch Most Haunted like a religion. XD That sounds like a plausible explanation to me, such as when the structure of a house changes, say a floor is raised by a foot, people report seeing the ghosts walking around cut off in the shins because they are walking on where *they* perceive the floor to be, the foot lower it was in *their* lifetime.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 07:14:06 PM »
Diane and I love to take the "Ghost Walks" and bus tours whenever we go on vacation. After you take a few of these, you note some pattern in spirits and their haunts. I think arashi's experience and what she was told is pretty consistent. Ghosts still "see" much from the perspective of when they met their demise.  [ghosty] I will give another example, on the London tour they noted a frequently seen spectre is a prisoner from Newgate. While the prison is gone, the pub where he often went to on his escape and was all too often found sleeping next to an empty flagon of ale is still in operation. What was curious about the ghost was he always seemed to "hop" over some barrier on the way into the pub where his form dissipated into the doorway. When researching the area, it was later discovered there was a short wall that had been taken down from the exact area where he would "hop." So, though the wall is gone, he still "sees it" as it was in his era and leaps over it as to him its still there.
         Really, outside of "Casper" [ghost] cartoons, and Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion, ghosts don't appear to really hang out together and party. I think while they have some perception into the present, they are linked inextricably in their own era.

Michael  [Ghost00]

PS: Recommended tours, Newport RI, Savannah GA, Harpers Ferry WV,Woodlawn Plantation (near Mt. Vernon Va, seasonal) London, Edinburgh ...Looking forward to a new one on our vacation this year [fangs]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 07:46:14 PM »
A friend of mine who does amateur ghost huntings notes, "The phenomenon is known as a 'residual' haunting. Like a stuck record, a spirit will constantly repeat the motions followed in life."

Michael  [Ghost00]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 07:48:19 PM »
PS: Recommended tours, Newport RI, Savannah GA, Harpers Ferry WV,Woodlawn Plantation (near Mt. Vernon Va, seasonal) London, Edinburgh ...Looking forward to a new one on our vacation this year

Mike, is the Woodlawn Plantation a "haunted" place w/a haunted tour?  Bobubas and Karlenfan are coming for a visit in May and I was thinking we could check it out.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »
Buzz, to my knowledge while Woodlawn has tours year 'round, the tour Diane and I went on was pretty much exclusive to the Halloween season, and was accordingly at the end of October. While I'm sure the regular tour references the supernatural, it wouldn't be the sole focus as that one was. The supernatural events there focus on a mysterious well. On  our tour, one lady fainted and I saw a "person" where no one could or should have been. I do think the Harpers Ferry WV and Williamsburg tours are around most of the year though. Downtown washington and old town Alexandria have some tours as well.  [Candle] [Ghost00]

Some references:  http://hometown.aol.com/waniehol/VAplaces.html

http://www.washingtonwalks.com/dc-hauntings.html

http://www.paranormalghost.com/washington_d_c__ghosts.htm

Michael
  [ghosty]