Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0058  (Read 191 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0058
« on: September 12, 2022, 07:28:15 PM »
Robservations #58

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0058

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 10:09:59 PM »
Some pretty interesting insights and ideas in the 2011 Discussion of #58.

It put me on a tangent thought that I doubt the writers intended, but if I remember right high functioning autistic kids sometimes have trouble understanding other people’s feeling.  Though I imagine traumatized children could have similar problems.   

I found the tide chart thing interesting.  Having David strive to learn about and apply his knowledge stand out as he’s rarely excited to learn regular school things.  I suppose he studied bleeder valves too.  It’s also interesting having so much focus on the tidal chart concept.  I’m not sure even CSI type shows spend as much time explain concepts like this.  It’s a lot of pictures and the vague gist of it and that’s often it. 

Carolyn’s attitude about Joe helping with David with the charts is understandable, but also makes her seem pretty spoiled and / or bratty. 

I appreciate how this (and other episodes) keep you guessing who (and sometimes if)  Murdered Bill. 
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 02:08:28 AM »
Great opening voiceover.

Emotional Carolyn and pragmatic David. Emotionally and clinically detached David is still on a mission to get rid of his father for good. So much so that he's willing to learn the mathematics of tide charts. It's disturbing really. Their conversation is mostly typical of them. At least Carolyn isn't being hateful toward him. I think she is too depleted unless she's actually grown up a bit in these few weeks.

Sheriff Patterson certainly treats the haves more gently than the have-nots. He wasn't nearly as demonstrative with Roger as he is with Sam. He came at him with both barrels blasting. I guess we'll see just how gentle he'll be with Roger in round two. He's certainly not stupid having already figured out that Roger and Sam had the most to gain from Bill's death, thanks to Burke.

Why is David so dirty? Surely not from the rug?! I guess it's from playing outside earlier in the day? Nice touch of realism. He was more than eager to fetch his father for questioning by the sheriff, lol. I expected him to say, "Are you  hear to arrest my father for Mr. Malloy's murder?!"

As Carolyn has stated more than once - Good old Joe. They'll probably get into an argument on their trip to nowhere before he gets to hogtie her. I say - Poor old Joe.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 05:53:30 AM »
Sam is at the Blue Whale.  Surprise! Joe comes in and gets a beer and joins Sam for some daytime drinking as the plant is closed. Sam grills Joe about where Sam went in the sea. Joe leaves to take Carolyn for a ride when the sheriff comes in. George takes Sam to his office and Sam sticks to the know nothing story.
At Collinwood, David studies tide charts with hopes of pinning the death on his beloved father. Carolyn joins him and he reveals he finds Collinwood fun. “What other kid gets to live in a house full of ghosts.”   He says he has lots of friends.  Joe arrives and helps with the charts.  David answers the door to the sheriff. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times