Author Topic: Post office nostalgia  (Read 754 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Post office nostalgia
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:25:24 PM »
So I went into the post office this morning to send out a package, and I happened to be wearing a baby-doll T with an image of the Basil Gogos Barnabas painting on it.  The postal worker behind the counter, who is a really  nice guy and a horror movie fan, suddenly got really wide-eyed and exclaimed, "Hey!  Is that Barnabas?!  Wow!  I used to love that show!"  He then asked, "Wait, what's the name of the guy who played him?  Just give me his first name?  I'll remember."  And I said, "Jonathan."  He was desperately trying to remember Jonathan's last name when an older lady in line shouted "Frid!"  We both turned to her and the lady, who was all smiles, said, "I used to love watching Dark Shadows too!  My kids were little back then, and we all watched it!"  We then talked about DS and other fun stuff for a couple of minutes.  It was really cool!  Just thought I'd share!   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Post office nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:14:20 PM »
Great!  I had a similar experience a few months ago wearing a Grayson's Legion T-shirt (with a screen shot of Barnabas and Julia on the cover) in the grocery store.  The clerk at the cash register, a lady around my age, recognized it and we talked about the show for a bit.  The bagger, a young man around 20, found the whole thing baffling, but I did mention that it used to be on Sci Fi so that gave him a bit of a frame of reference for it.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Post office nostalgia
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 01:43:02 AM »
a similar thing happened to me recently as well.

i was walking by a co-workers office one day(a lady in her forties so she was one of those kids that you-know-what)and i heard her say the name "barnabas collins" to someone she was talking to.needless to say that pricked up my ears.i entered her office and and the floodgates were opened.she was surprised and amused that somebody was actively watching the show to this day(if she only knew the half of it)since she watched it as a kid.

she only remembers the grayest outlines of it(for instance she thought that quentin and josette were an item)but she does remember most of the main characters.

so now as a running joke i give her a semi-daily "pop-quiz".first question was how did josette collins die?she now knows she jumped from widow's hill.i'll have to come up with some new questions.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.