Author Topic: Encounter With Barnabas  (Read 94 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Encounter With Barnabas
« on: August 27, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
Every Sunday the "The New York Times" has a column called "Metropolitan Diary" and people send in stories of interesting, humorous, strange events in the city.  Missing out on the library for a year or more at the start of the pandemic, I eventually started looking up the papers I had missed.  After making a lot of progress, I missed some time, and now am about 11 months behind the present.

I was just reading the "Metropolitan Diary" for September 26, 2021 and found the following:

"Encounter With a Vampire

DEAR DIARY:

It was the 1960s, and I was commuting from New Jersey into the city for acting classes and auditions.  To earn some money, I took a job selling men’s toiletries at Stern’s department store on 42nd Street and Sixth Avenue.

Besides the mild headaches I got from smelling so much cologne, the job had its perks.  So many interesting people would pass by that I never got bored.

One day, a man in a cape came sweeping through the aisles and stopped at my counter.  It was the actor Jonathan Frid in his role as Barnabas Collins.

Someone with him asked if I would like to take some publicity pictures with daytime TV’s resident vampire.

Yes, I said immediately.

Mr. Frid bared his fangs.  I was told to brandish a bottle of perfume and act scared. 

I tried not to laugh.  (Some actress!)

One day years later, my acting career long dead and buried, I happened to think of the encounter and to wonder whether copies of the pictures existed.

I called ABC’s publicity department, and I soon had a couple of 8x10 glossies of me and the star of “Dark Shadows” in the men’s toiletries department at Stern’s.

JANET KOLSTEIN"
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Encounter With Barnabas
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »
Very interesting story - particularly because I'm pretty sure I've never seen any pictures of Frid like that. I wonder when/where, if ever, they were originally published?  [ghost_huh]

Thanks for sharing, Josette.  [ghost_smiley]