Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0057  (Read 178 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0057
« on: August 06, 2022, 04:35:02 PM »
Robservations #57

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Why did Burke suddenly get it into his head that Bill Malloy must still be alive?   Just so even he would be shocked when the news of his body being found came out?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0057
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 02:00:37 AM »
     It is revealed that the restaurant is on Main Street.  And here is where we pick up the story as Maggie and Burke chat. Bill gave Burke his start on the boats. Maggie realizes she has to break the news of Bill’s watery demise.  Burke goes out in the hotel lobby to use the mysterious moving phone booth.
     Burke leaves. Enter Vickie. She has come for lunch with her new pal Maggie. They rehash their first conversation when Maggie warned her from the people and place of Collinwood. Vickie needs answers to her past!
     Burke goes to Patterson. He is told not to leave town.  Burke tells about the meeting with Roger and Sam. Mallory’s watch stopped at 10:45.  Now the sheriff does not seem to consider that the watch may have been purposely stopped at that time or that it could have broken while being banged about in the water. Malloy drowned and suffered a blow to the head. They are unsure then he was dealt the blow. Should the Sheriff really be sharing this with Burke?
     Maggie offers a free lunch to Vickie. They talk of Lobster rolls and clam chowder.  I don’t recall it being on the reader board menu; maybe it’s on the printed one?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0057
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 04:02:51 PM »
Good opening voiceover and episode in general. Burke's assertiveness can get on my nerves. I like the character as a whole but he isn't always likeable. As a matter of fact, Burke can go from likeable to unlikeable in the same sentence.

Burke and Maggie - Burke's philosophical musing and mourning fall flat in my opinion. I'd have preferred them to be a bit more gentle than direct but that's not who Burke is. Still, I think Ryan could have done better.

Burke and the sheriff - Good scenes. Patterson holds his own against Burke's impatience and incisiveness. I think the coroner would be able to distinguish whether the blow to Malloy's head would be pre or post mortem. Maybe the amount of time in the water would negate that distinction. I do think that Matthew should have been arrested though so maybe the writers are taking liberties (or being lazy).

Vicki and Maggie - More good stuff. I like both actresses and both characters. Vicki and Maggie decide to cement their new friendship with sincerity and honesty. And Vicki gains an ally in her search for the truth. I think it is a bit naive for Maggie to think that her father will want company for dinner or dinner at all that particular night. And I get the feeling that there is gonna be a fourth for dinner and a good time will not be had by all.

I always enjoy Burke and Vicki together. I like Burke's sincerity towards her. I think Vicki is acting a bit naive in relation to Burke's undertones regarding Malloy being murdered by Roger but perhaps it is in character.

Typical flubs and camera shadows.