Author Topic: Joel Crothers and Harvey Fierstein  (Read 267 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Joel Crothers and Harvey Fierstein
« on: July 18, 2022, 09:55:32 PM »
No, they didn't have a fling either. Though I'm sure that Harvey would have loved to. Joel is mentioned quite a bit in Harvey's new memoir I Was Better Last Night. Joel worked with Harvey, Estelle Getty and Matthew Broderick in the original Torch Song Trilogy. He describes Joel as "distinguished and poised, strikingly handsome and funny, doing soaps had trained him to bounce from emotion to emotion without straining for content."
Joel did not stay with the production long term. The schedule of shooting Edge of Night during the day and doing the play at night was beginning to affect his health. He also said that during a recent trip to Africa, he had picked up a stomach bug that he hadn't been able to shake.
Whether it was a stomach bug or something else is best left open to interpretation. It seems like an interesting book but unless you are a huge fan of Harvey Fierstein, it might be best to see if your library has a copy.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Joel Crothers and Harvey Fierstein
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »
Harvey Fierstein was very good in the film, "Independence Day." I loved the expletive-deleted he exclaimed as the gigantic ufo fired a "fazer" blast down onto the city, spelling his immediate doom.

Mr. Fierstein may have been the only actor with a more guttural speaking voice than even the late character actor, Lionel Stander, best known for portraying the chauffer on the tv series, "Hart-to-Hart."

Oh, yes, former  "Saturday Night Live" performer Jon Lovitz once did a dead-on impression of the husky-voiced Harvey Fierstein on the show, saying, "Do I turn you on? Am I sexually attractive?"

Come to think of it, Mr. Fierstein would have been very good on DS, possibly as Dr. Julia Hoffman's ne'er-do-well, younger brother, who stays on, seemingly forever, at Collinwood just like Harry Johnson and Dr. Hoffman herself.  [ghost_shocked] [ScaredGhost]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 10:08:20 PM »
I met Harvey at a Broadway Cares event in NYC some years ago. I can't say that I would want to repeat the experience.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 12:54:52 AM »
I enjoyed him immensely in Mrs. Doubtfire, playing Robin William's brother, and in Cheers where he was a past flame of Rebecca that she hoped to rekindle, totally oblivious (in her typical Rebecca way) that he was gay.

Gerard

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 10:01:02 PM »
Who would be more "enjoyable" to meet, Harvey Fierstein or Roger Davis?

Actually, I did once run into Roger Davis as I was leaving one of the Dark Shadows Festivals held at the original World Trade Center; he was very friendly, and, he did not even try to sell me one of his stylish tee-shirts, that he sold at the festival.

Oh, yeah, Roger didn't even stroke/caress that Ronald Reagan-like head of hair his once!  [ghost_cool]  [ghost_grin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 02:03:54 PM »
 [pointing-up]  What a shocking encounter with RD, BtB!  [ghost_shocked]  Shocking!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 07:42:58 PM »
Since I'm probably the only one on the forum who has met both of them, I preferred Roger Davis. Surprised? So am I. I guess the difference is that Roger's reputation had preceded him, so his obnoxious behavior didn't come as a surprise. I was not expecting that much snarkiness from Harvey.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 01:06:19 AM »
[pointing-up]  What a shocking encounter with RD, BtB!  [ghost_shocked]  Shocking!!

It just shows you, there's some good in just about everyone, well, maybe not Gregory Trask or Andreas Petofi!  [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_tongue]