Author Topic: This week's Doctor Who and DS  (Read 984 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
This week's Doctor Who and DS
« on: March 25, 2006, 08:49:55 PM »
Doctor Who's "The Unquiet Dead," a historical ep with a Gothic feel that takes place in Victorian England, is very reminiscent of DS:  The Grandmama (that's Grandmamama to Quentin ;)) in her coffin who is apparently quite stubborn even in death, a seance, the spooky house with a freaky history, zombies, talk of parallel universes, and a [spoiler]ghost.[/spoiler]
SciFi will air it again on:

Sunday night/Monday morning 3/26 at 12:30 a.m.
Wednesday night/Thursday morning 3/29 at 1 a.m.
Thursday 3/30 at 10 a.m.
Friday 3/31 at 3 p.m.
All times are Eastern; check your listings for the time in your area.

I understand that a scene was cut, perhaps to make room for their own advertisements, sigh.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: This week's Doctor Who and DS
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »
And you get to see the Dr. as a stalker of Charles Dickens, saying "I'm your greatest fan!"  This one should have been longer.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 10:58:47 PM »
I have never watched Dr. Who.  My husband always watched it.  Is it really that good? 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
It ran for 26 years then was revived after 16 years off the air, after fans kept it going with fan fiction to the point where those fan writers were given permission to put out hundreds of official DW novels, and CDs, and this is what led to the revival.     It ran so long that the results were mixed and there were great periods and lesser periods.   But yes, overall, it all forms a great detailed fictional world, and a sort of modern day myth that may survive longer than television.    Star Trek I think of as another myth that may last longer trhan its original medium.   If DS does too, I'll be very happy.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 03:13:48 PM »
I'll have to check that episode out when they re-air it.  I recorded the first two episodes but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.  It looked a tad silly from what little I saw.  But if they've got some nice gothic atmosphere going in that ep., I'll give it a try.  I really like the Tom Baker and Peter Davison years because they were just such cheesy fun, which makes me a bit leery of a new high-tech continuation.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 03:38:48 PM »
I was a big fan of Dr. Who in the late 70s, early 80s, but I never watched any of the ones after Peter Davison. I did catch this week's ep on Sci Fi, and I was quite pleasantly taken with it. I expect I'll keep watching.

I may actually be involved in a Dr. Who anthology the BBC is putting out later this year. We shall see...

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 06:05:33 AM »
This episode was much better then the first two.  In general, I think this show could be weirder and more time warpy.  Shifts in the time flow continuum aren't really addressed seriously... yet.  Perhaps, they get addressed later on.  Right now for me, it's so linear.  Linear is easier to follow.  However, I prefer a challenge.  I still like the show and will continue to watch it.